• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

acapaca

Reaction score
I usually wear a size 30 in most brands. These pants are a 32. The waist can only be taken in so much. A 33 would probably have more issues
I guess I don't really get what they are going for with their pants, since their contemporary feels to me very much like a slim compared to just about anything else I own. I went up three inches in order to get enough room in the seat and thighs, and I found that to be no problem in the taking in of the waist. Yours look a touch small in the seat (with pockets pulling a bit) even on the size up? That's exactly what happened with me. I suppose I wish they offered 'extra slim', then 'slim', then 'classic'. I'd have thought the classic cut was gaining traction these days!

1st Step

Reaction score
If you're uncomfortable with it, that's one thing. But to my eye, this looks pretty good. It's a casual, cotton suit, so wrinkles come with the territory, it's part of the charm. Not agreeing with all the nay-saying on this.
Who are the nay-sayers? It's just a (imho) humble!

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're uncomfortable with it, that's one thing. But to my eye, this looks pretty good. It's a casual, cotton suit, so wrinkles come with the territory, it's part of the charm. Not agreeing with all the nay-saying on this.
Yeap. The guy got the body to wear a slim as well but must be blasphemy to all the vintage trend seeking new to CM posters. lol

XxLogo

Reaction score
You can give custom specs for collars. Spread, rear/front band height.

You can also request a one-piece collar where the leaf and band of the collar are one piece.

A cooper collar has been in the works for a while, it may be possible now too.

I've also gotten asymmetrical sleeve lengths, different cuff widths to accommodate my fat watch, and an adjusted cuff depth as well.
Cool, I'd definitely get the off-watch cuff slimmer than OTR. Unsure what one-piece or Cooper collars are, but I am guessing they'd be more suited for the dress shirts rather than casual, no?

pmestrad

Reaction score
It's all the Gentlemen Gazette viewers who want to play dress up with their menswear.
I lift weights daily and have large thighs. I am not one of those types of guys who likes things super loose, and actually used to wear slim pants. I am now somewhere in between, as I have realized pants that are too slim makes it difficult to go up stairs due to the tightness and ride up my legs after sitting down. I also would find that the crotch of the pants would slowly wear out. Therefore, I have started moving to pleated pants with more room in the thighs. I would prefer to not go with pleats, however, the comfort and extra movement they allow me makes a big difference.

OldTown

Reaction score
I lift weights daily and have large thighs. I am not one of those types of guys who likes things super loose, and actually used to wear slim pants. I am now somewhere in between, as I have realized pants that are too slim makes it difficult to go up stairs due to the tightness and ride up my legs after sitting down. I also would find that the crotch of the pants would slowly wear out. Therefore, I have started moving to pleated pants with more room in the thighs. I would prefer to not go with pleats, however, the comfort and extra movement they allow me makes a big difference.
There is nothing wrong with pleats and they are made specifically for your reason.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another one of the Marling & Evans cloth coming to MTO. Although this one is a wool/linen so won’t officially show up until next spring, you can request it now if you like. Paired with a Spier turtleneck I picked up last year.

Kirkburton 16750/F6
50% wool 50% linen
Neapolitan cut
Full canvas
Milanese buttonhole
Jetted pockets
3 functional button cuff
1/4 pick stitching

FB279F1C-F9A2-4D67-8380-09B6AC371D3E.jpeg

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another one of the Marling & Evans cloth coming to MTO. Although this one is a wool/linen so won’t officially show up until next spring, you can request it now if you like. Paired with a Spier turtleneck I picked up last year.

Kirkburton 16750/F6
50% wool 50% linen
Neapolitan cut
Full canvas
Milanese buttonhole
Jetted pockets
3 functional button cuff
1/4 pick stitching

View attachment 1461893
Jesse, you do all 3 buttons sleeves and jetted pockets now?

XxLogo

Reaction score

Kirkburton 16750/F6
50% wool 50% linen
Neapolitan cut
Full canvas
Milanese buttonhole
Jetted pockets
3 functional button cuff
1/4 pick stitching

View attachment 1461893
Who says you can't wear wool/linen in the FW season 🤔

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I understand that overcoats and polos will be added to the MTO menu, shortly?
@spiermackay will you have "L" long size patterns for your outerwear?
I assume that with MTO we will be able to add a couple inches length to the coats?

cr2596

Reaction score
I guess I don't really get what they are going for with their pants, since their contemporary feels to me very much like a slim compared to just about anything else I own. I went up three inches in order to get enough room in the seat and thighs, and I found that to be no problem in the taking in of the waist. Yours look a touch small in the seat (with pockets pulling a bit) even on the size up? That's exactly what happened with me. I suppose I wish they offered 'extra slim', then 'slim', then 'classic'. I'd have thought the classic cut was gaining traction these days!
I don’t get it, either. It has been a big deterrent for me and my purchases. All of my trousers from Spier are too slim, minus the green seersucker suit trousers. But, those were purchased at 3” too large on the waist and HEAVILY altered. And, they’re far from perfect. Everything else was purchased at 1” larger waist, and they’re all tight in the thighs. I hesitate to pull them off the hanger, but it’s all I’ve got for now.

I want more suits, but I typically don’t purchase them for this reason. The chocolate linen suit is screaming my name, but I’m not willing to shell out the cash + heavy alteration $ for a still-off finished product, anymore. Thus, I’m stuck with mostly odd jacket and trousers combinations. I don’t consider other makers because the jacket style and fit and price point of Spier is just too good.

I’m not kidding when I say, I’m slowly learning to make trouser alterations myself. A sewing machine purchase is in my near future. I wish this wasn’t the route I have to go.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

• JW Anderson x Uniqlo

• Nigo x Virgil Abloh

• Converse x Midnight Studios

• Rick Owens x Champion

• Barbour x Engineered Garments

• Adidas x Bed JW Ford

• Jordan Brand x Dior

• Billie Eilish x Takashi Murakami

• Lego x Levi's