• Welcome to the Styleforum Approved contest! This is a contest where everyone wins: in fact, every participant will get a (highly coveted) “Styleforum approved” bracelet to flaunt to your oblivious friends. The only thing you have to do is show appreciation for a member of the forum or an affiliate vendor.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I told you of my recent purchase of the washed cotton suits. Unfortunately, they did not fit me well.

View attachment 1434268
View attachment 1434269
View attachment 1434270
View attachment 1434267
View attachment 1434271
View attachment 1434272
All the items are well made. Great quality. My first experience with S&M jackets and pants.

The jacket is completely unstructured which may have contributed to the fit issue. This is a 38R contemporary, my usually size for most companies. The sleeves do not fall correctly to my eye. Lots of folds under the armpit. The back is also messy. Maybe a slim would be better, but I wanted some extra room for a warm weather jacket. Body length, sleeve length, shoulders, and chest seem good to me.

The pants fit perfectly in the waist. The rise was not bad. The pants where tight in the hips, seat and thighs for me. These are 30 contemporary pants, my usual size in most brands. There is no way I would fit in the slims. Did the washed cotton trousers run small this year? I’ll try a 32 contemporary next time.

Sending all of this back. I may try the linen jackets once these are returned.
I think it looks fine for being completely unstructured cotton.

Lightweight unstructured cotton inherently has terrible drape.

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I told you of my recent purchase of the washed cotton suits. Unfortunately, they did not fit me well.

View attachment 1434268
View attachment 1434269
View attachment 1434270
View attachment 1434267
View attachment 1434271
View attachment 1434272
All the items are well made. Great quality. My first experience with S&M jackets and pants.

The jacket is completely unstructured which may have contributed to the fit issue. This is a 38R contemporary, my usually size for most companies. The sleeves do not fall correctly to my eye. Lots of folds under the armpit. The back is also messy. Maybe a slim would be better, but I wanted some extra room for a warm weather jacket. Body length, sleeve length, shoulders, and chest seem good to me.

The pants fit perfectly in the waist. The rise was not bad. The pants where tight in the hips, seat and thighs for me. These are 30 contemporary pants, my usual size in most brands. There is no way I would fit in the slims. Did the washed cotton trousers run small this year? I’ll try a 32 contemporary next time.

Sending all of this back. I may try the linen jackets once these are returned.
Damn it. I'm sorry about the disappointing results. You don't even look like yourself in this suit, AAS. And I was so happy for you when you said you were buying the washed cotton in all 3 colours. Fingers crossed that the constructed jackets fit you better than these items.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think it looks fine for being completely unstructured cotton.

Lightweight unstructured cotton inherently has terrible drape.
I think S&M jackets look fantastic on a lot of people. I am a very easy fit and am very particular about the way things fit. I have several all cotton unstructured jackets from several brands that fit me extremely well. I have also tried on a lot of all cotton jackets in my day that fit very well. I've never had sleeve and back issues like that with any jacket. The cotton jackets that I own are either thrifted or very cheap. I was hoping to get something new of a higher quality which the items were. Just not the right fit for me.

Damn it. I'm sorry about the disappointing results. You don't even look like yourself in this suit, AAS. And I was so happy for you when you said you were buying the washed cotton in all 3 colours. Fingers crossed that the constructed jackets fit you better than these items.
Thanks for sharing in my pain. I have high hopes about other items.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think S&M jackets look fantastic on a lot of people. I am a very easy fit and am very particular about the way things fit. I have several all cotton unstructured jackets from several brands that fit me extremely well. I have also tried on a lot of all cotton jackets in my day that fit very well. I've never had sleeve and back issues like that with any jacket. The cotton jackets that I own are either thrifted or very cheap. I was hoping to get something new of a higher quality which the items were. Just not the right fit for me.
Ah ok, I see, so definitely a fit issue. Glad you have some well fitting cotton unstructured jackets.

I feel you unfortunately on fit issues and being very particular, and is why I no longer go for the S&M unstructured jackets, they don't work on me either.

LookOutSpices

Reaction score
Anyone know if the regular white oxford is less see-through than the lightweight version? I love the weight of the lightweight but it's slightly more see through than I'd like.

McCalebtosh

Reaction score
Hello I'm new here and kind of newer to some of the nicer things with menswear. I recently bought the sale Spier and Mackay denim blue linen and washed red cotton trousers and I was wondering if anyone had any experiences or pointers with a couple of things.
a) the linen trousers say they are machine washeable, should I wash them before I hem them to account for shrinking?
b) the cotton trousers say they are dry clean only but has anyone tried machine washing?
I wasn't planning on using hot or machine drying for either.
c) I really like the linen trousers think it is worth grabbing the coat too?
I've also been enjoying lurking around and getting people's opinions on things before I buy so thanks a bunch!

1st Step

Reaction score
Hello I'm new here and kind of newer to some of the nicer things with menswear. I recently bought the sale Spier and Mackay denim blue linen and washed red cotton trousers and I was wondering if anyone had any experiences or pointers with a couple of things.
a) the linen trousers say they are machine washeable, should I wash them before I hem them to account for shrinking?
b) the cotton trousers say they are dry clean only but has anyone tried machine washing?
I've also been enjoying lurking around and getting people's opinions on things before I buy so thanks a bunch!
Sorry, most of this I can't answer, but (imho) I would dry clean both!

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was there ever matching pants for the brown corduroy jacket? Thinking about buying the jacket but would like pants to go with it
Yes, there were matching cord pants, high rise. I got the pants last year, have been fighting the urge to buy the neo jacket.

1-2) if you wash, cold wash hang or flat dry; and do that before hemming. If you wash. I DC both, and if you go with DC, you can do that after hemming and wearing for the season. The way I look at it, barring an accident (ie, spilled something on myself), I am dry cleaning once per season at the end of the season, then putting away until next summer. 1 dry clean per year won't break the bank.
3) don't know about the jacket. This year's linen jackets are awesome, didn't try one last year, when they ran the denim blue.

omgitswes

Reaction score
Yes, there were matching cord pants, high rise. I got the pants last year, have been fighting the urge to buy the neo jacket.
Do you still see it on the site, or are they sold out? Can’t track them down. I see the five-pocket cords and where the other cords are, there are two listings for the drab colored cords. But no brown

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you still see it on the site, or are they sold out? Can’t track them down. I see the five-pocket cords and where the other cords are, there are two listings for the drab colored cords. But no brown
@yungchomsky has a whole brown cord suit for sale in the Spier buy-sell-trade thread:

XxLogo

Reaction score
For those of you with S&M's merino sweaters, how do you wash them? The site says machine washable, but tag says dry clean. I am used to hand washing my sweaters as none of them were ever labeled as "machine-washable"
So, do I just toss them in the wash on delicate or would I need to also place in one of those delicate laundry bags? Or should I just keep hand washing?

omgitswes

Reaction score

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
appears they are no longer on the site.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Face Masks: Pick Your Favorite (Choose 2)

• Disposable surgical mask

• White cotton mask

• Linen-lined mask

• "Sartorial" mask made of suiting fabric

• Patterned mask (checks, stripes, fun print, etc.)

• Solid color silk mask

• "Sartorial" mask made of tie fabric

• Sports mask made of synthetic fabric

• Denim mask

• Face shield

Results are only viewable after voting.