• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Torzano

Reaction score
My first Spier & Mackay suit a Gray Fresco - Neapolitan Cut (jacket-42, trousers 36).

would love to hear your opinions! Jacket seems like a good fit maybe just needs to be taken in at the waist?
As for the trousers they fit loose around the waist (photos have the adjusters tightened and still feels loose) but tight around the thigh and seat (left pleat open. This is probably a fault of my thick thighs and seat. Rise also seemed low considering they are labeled high rise.

should i return them and size up or go for mtm trousers?
View attachment 1397142View attachment 1397143View attachment 1397144View attachment 1397145View attachment 1397146View attachment 1397147

Sorry for the bombardment of photos.
Yes. This is why I’m hoping the changes people are talking about the green seersucker pants are permanent. That’s how I look in their high rise pants. I have a big butt/thighs.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think @Riva mentioned he's had the sleeves taken in.
I almost always have to both hem and slim the arms of my 36S Slim. Have tapered trousers as well (the linen / silk sage + honey) with success. Speaking of which the green seersucker seems longer as well than the usual 36S. Overall a marked downgrade from the previous out of the box rtw fit.

momone

Reaction score
Are you assuming all dress trousers will fit this way, going forward? If so, why? Any evidence, otherwise?
Well
Just got in the mail my last order with the sondrio cotton/linen and same as you guys here. Used to oversize trousers on high rise (34 => 35) for confortable space around thights and calves and here I have same waist feeling but way oversized straight leg under, starting a bit mid hip (sweatpants style). Will send back, and reaaaaaaally interested if this is temporary/error or permanent refresh of the high rise sizing

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. This is why I’m hoping the changes people are talking about the green seersucker pants are permanent. That’s how I look in their high rise pants. I have a big butt/thighs.
Unlikely as you're an exception. Luckily I like the color of the green seersucker so much that I'll have it slimmed down so I can actually wear it.

MrAmbrose

Reaction score
My first Spier & Mackay suit a Gray Fresco - Neapolitan Cut (jacket-42, trousers 36).

would love to hear your opinions! Jacket seems like a good fit maybe just needs to be taken in at the waist?
As for the trousers they fit loose around the waist (photos have the adjusters tightened and still feels loose) but tight around the thigh and seat (left pleat open. This is probably a fault of my thick thighs and seat. Rise also seemed low considering they are labeled high rise.

View attachment 1397142View attachment 1397143View attachment 1397144View attachment 1397145View attachment 1397146View attachment 1397147

Jacket looks great. Trousers are too tight in the seat in my opinion. I'd imagine you can just have them let out slightly in the seat (and taken in in the waist) and you'll be good to go.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unlikely as you're an exception. Luckily I like the color of the green seersucker so much that I'll have it slimmed down so I can actually wear it.
They do make slim fit pants... (well not in the green seersucker but normally it’s offered in every style)

I certainly hope the extra room in the contemporary is here to stay. If anyone has been around long enough they used to have this kind of room at one point and for some reason started to get too slim. This fit is more in line with what they offered 3-4 years ago. Since they offer a slim, it would be nice if the contemporary was roomier.

I guess we’ll see going forward. If it doesn’t change I’ve already become used to sizing up and taking them in so no big deal.

jdhoop

Reaction score
If the 8.5 feels tight now, it won't get much better. Suede is already very forgiving and should fit well right out of the box. My guess for why you have heel slippage is due to your instep. You might have average or low instep and the last that the shoes are made on are more accommodating to a high instep (I don't own S&M shoes so this is a guess).

If the suede wingtips lace completely and you feel like it could be laced even tighter, then instep is the reason.
Thank you. I'm leaning toward keeping the 9s then. I've seen elsewhere that benchmade soles become more flexible with time, and that this reduces much of the heel slippage. Plus the heel of the shoe doesn't feel any looser than my other dress shoes overall; only when walking. I can fit about one finger between my heel and the back of the shoe.

shrugged

Reaction score

When last I bought high rise pants from Spier, there wasn't much fabric to let out in the thigh, and seat. Is there enough for you to have those let out a bit?

XxLogo

Reaction score
Hey guys, I was wondering how versatile the medium grey and dark brown merino sweaters would be?? If there is another sale, or if I get enough extra money riled up, I am thinking of picking them up along with some sunglasses. However, aiming for versatility. Usually dress smart casual, but the odd dress up as well lol. Although I already have a cashmere charcoal v-neck and merino navy v neck.

Hankmctank

Reaction score
Hi all

Need some advice with the Cotten tress trousers

Took a bunch of my new purchases into the local dry cleaners to get the shortened

I opted to cuff the dress trousers while the chinos got the regular hemming.

However, now that I’m home, I noticed that they screwed up and forgot to cuff one pair originally

Looks like the proceeded to undo the error and re did the cuffing.

Now there is visible needle holes above the cuff. Pics attached

So my question is, will these needle holes go away with another wash cycle ? Don’t want to attempt if it is known not to work.

Otherwise I’ll have to take it back and complain about this.

Perhaps at the very least request to simply uncuff it and go with regular hem ?

Any help appreciated gents

Attachments

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hi all

Need some advice with the Cotten tress trousers

Took a bunch of my new purchases into the local dry cleaners to get the shortened

I opted to cuff the dress trousers while the chinos got the regular hemming.

However, now that I’m home, I noticed that they screwed up and forgot to cuff one pair originally

Looks like the proceeded to undo the error and re did the cuffing.

Now there is visible needle holes above the cuff. Pics attached

So my question is, will these needle holes go away with another wash cycle ? Don’t want to attempt if it is known not to work.

Otherwise I’ll have to take it back and complain about this.

Perhaps at the very least request to simply uncuff it and go with regular hem ?

Any help appreciated gents
Have you tried pressing them?

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The UPS man has been very kind this week.

The summer tweed and Drago windowpane just arrived so took a break from work to share a couple pics. That Drago windowpane is a steal in the MTO, loving the cloth in person.

31E1EDB1-D474-46C1-B696-49593582799A.jpeg

E5D1C38B-1FD8-488A-9332-AC83A1423C79.jpeg

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite summer fabric?

• Seersucker

• Fresco

• Linen

• Silk

Results are only viewable after voting.