• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Summer tweed came in today, fit right out of the box.

fabric is something special, unfortunate that i probably won't have an opportunity to wear it much due to what's going on right now.

View attachment 1396757View attachment 1396758
Yeeesh this is great. Love that you opted to MTM some trousers. My summer tweed should be here tomorrow if I’m lucky.

Sreezy36

Reaction score
Yeah man, there are a couple of us lurking around. @vriche is OTR if I remember right.

what suit did you get?
I got the full canvas neo in medium gray.... Test run for me so far so good..I’m honestly surprised how well it fits in the shoulder and chest area. More than likely because of the unpadded shoulder. I just have to see what my tailor says when I visit him.

LuxLemon

Reaction score
advice appreciated:

how much of an issue is this pocket bulge and/or is a fix possible?Am I better off with another size? These are 34 contemporary

C84FFF9F-5846-4060-8B6E-1F634DCC3A51.jpeg

jdhoop

Reaction score
Hello,

I could use some advice on the fit of my first pair of benchmade shoes. I initially bought Spier & Mackay's suede wingtip in size 9.5, as I normally wear a 9.5 or 10. They definitely felt too big, so I exchanged them for a 9, but my heels still seemed to be slipping in the 9s. So then I ordered a pair in 8.5 to compare with the 9s, and now I need to decide which pair to keep and which to return.

The challenge is that I'm not sure how benchmade Goodyear welted shoes will break in, and by the time I find out it'll be too late to return. So the 8.5s are better in the heel (minimal slipping) but feel tight and slightly uncomfortable in the toe area on my right foot (which must be slightly bigger). On my left foot the 8.5 seems just about right. The 9s are more comfortable in the toe area but have a good amount of heel slipping when I walk, (particularly noticeable on my left foot).

For anyone with quality shoe experience, my question is this: It is more likely that the toe will stretch out on the 8.5s, or that the sole will become more flexible on the 9s and not move around as much in the heel? Or should I return both sizes and look at other brands? (I'd be bummed about the latter option, as I love the style and quality/value of these and was hoping to purchase more S&M shoes in the future.)

I do have a shoe stretching device and spray—would this this work to stretch out the toe area on the right-foot 8.5, since the left-foot 8.5 seems to fit well? Or is it important that with shoes such as this, both feet should feel comfortable right out of the box?

I've never had trouble finding well-fitting dress shoes at stores in the past, and I believe my foot shape is pretty average. So I'm not sure why I'm having trouble with these, but I'm hoping that understanding better how they break in and mold to your feet will help me make the right decision here. Thanks; I greatly appreciate any insights!

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I could use some advice on the fit of my first pair of benchmade shoes. I initially bought Spier & Mackay's suede wingtip in size 9.5, as I normally wear a 9.5 or 10. They definitely felt too big, so I exchanged them for a 9, but my heels still seemed to be slipping in the 9s. So then I ordered a pair in 8.5 to compare with the 9s, and now I need to decide which pair to keep and which to return.

The challenge is that I'm not sure how benchmade Goodyear welted shoes will break in, and by the time I find out it'll be too late to return. So the 8.5s are better in the heel (minimal slipping) but feel tight and slightly uncomfortable in the toe area on my right foot (which must be slightly bigger). On my left foot the 8.5 seems just about right. The 9s are more comfortable in the toe area but have a good amount of heel slipping when I walk, (particularly noticeable on my left foot).

For anyone with quality shoe experience, my question is this: It is more likely that the toe will stretch out on the 8.5s, or that the sole will become more flexible on the 9s and not move around as much in the heel? Or should I return both sizes and look at other brands? (I'd be bummed about the latter option, as I love the style and quality/value of these and was hoping to purchase more S&M shoes in the future.)

I do have a shoe stretching device and spray—would this this work to stretch out the toe area on the right-foot 8.5, since the left-foot 8.5 seems to fit well? Or is it important that with shoes such as this, both feet should feel comfortable right out of the box?

I've never had trouble finding well-fitting dress shoes at stores in the past, and I believe my foot shape is pretty average. So I'm not sure why I'm having trouble with these, but I'm hoping that understanding better how they break in and mold to your feet will help me make the right decision here. Thanks; I greatly appreciate any insights!
If the 8.5 feels tight now, it won't get much better. Suede is already very forgiving and should fit well right out of the box. My guess for why you have heel slippage is due to your instep. You might have average or low instep and the last that the shoes are made on are more accommodating to a high instep (I don't own S&M shoes so this is a guess).

If the suede wingtips lace completely and you feel like it could be laced even tighter, then instep is the reason.

konix

Reaction score
Yeeesh this is great. Love that you opted to MTM some trousers. My summer tweed should be here tomorrow if I’m lucky.
Thank you! I used pre-quarantine measurements on the trousers so i'll need to let out the waist a bit to accomodate some weight gain lol :D

it looks great as separates and together, can easily see this wil be my most worn suit. shoot some photos when you get it, would love to get your thoughts on the fabric.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you! I used pre-quarantine measurements on the trousers so i'll need to let out the waist a bit to accomodate some weight gain lol :D

it looks great as separates and together, can easily see this wil be my most worn suit. shoot some photos when you get it, would love to get your thoughts on the fabric.
Will do!

in the meantime, proper pic of the green seersucker. Fit quirks aside, the custom color turned out incredibly well. Also, after pressing a crease I am pretty much certain a 33 trouser is going to fit me perfect in the RTW now without the need to size up. I'll take this 34 in at the waist and seat and see if I even need to trim the leg a touch, I may not.

@spiermackay can we get deeper pleats now in the high rise??

2020-05-28 19.17.08_edited.jpg

2020-05-28 19.17.37_edited.jpg

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

cr2596

Reaction score
Will do!

in the meantime, proper pic of the green seersucker. Fit quirks aside, the custom color turned out incredibly well. Also, after pressing a crease I am pretty much certain a 33 trouser is going to fit me perfect in the RTW now without the need to size up. I'll take this 34 in at the waist and seat and see if I even need to trim the leg a touch, I may not.

@spiermackay can we get deeper pleats now in the high rise??

View attachment 1397064
View attachment 1397065
Are you assuming all dress trousers will fit this way, going forward? If so, why? Any evidence, otherwise?

Lampsy

Reaction score
My first Spier & Mackay suit a Gray Fresco - Neapolitan Cut (jacket-42, trousers 36).

would love to hear your opinions! Jacket seems like a good fit maybe just needs to be taken in at the waist?
As for the trousers they fit loose around the waist (photos have the adjusters tightened and still feels loose) but tight around the thigh and seat (left pleat open. This is probably a fault of my thick thighs and seat. Rise also seemed low considering they are labeled high rise.

should i return them and size up or go for mtm trousers?
100672651_262038845002420_4964557941601468416_n.jpg100689060_2642129962741722_8421046290258853888_n.jpg100699579_248933479503730_8917397574550290432_n.jpg100739589_254787602436375_7803495173517737984_n.jpg100867858_719588588854036_1659244590563065856_n.jpg100890598_252751756047292_2846692804686512128_n.jpg

Sorry for the bombardment of photos.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My first Spier & Mackay suit a Gray Fresco - Neapolitan Cut (jacket-42, trousers 36).

would love to hear your opinions! Jacket seems like a good fit maybe just needs to be taken in at the waist?
As for the trousers they fit loose around the waist (photos have the adjusters tightened and still feels loose) but tight around the thigh and seat (left pleat open. This is probably a fault of my thick thighs and seat. Rise also seemed low considering they are labeled high rise.

should i return them and size up or go for mtm trousers?
View attachment 1397142View attachment 1397143View attachment 1397144View attachment 1397145View attachment 1397146View attachment 1397147

Sorry for the bombardment of photos.
Looks right in seat but not bad per say,

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite summer fabric?

• Seersucker

• Fresco

• Linen

• Silk

Results are only viewable after voting.