1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by spiermackay, Mar 14, 2014.

1. spiermackay

spiermackay Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Yes. All future unfused collars will use this construction.

1 person likes this.
  2. winghus

winghus Senior member

Quote:So no 48Rs in the suits this time?

3. spiermackay

Unfortunately not. We had a pretty poor sell through with them. We can still MTO them on request.

4. SJR3

SJR3 Active Member

I'm a regular lurker on this thread and finally made my first S&M purchase: the new Guabello navy birdseye suit. I ordered this morning and sent an email immediately after, but am posting here in hopes that Rick or someone will see this before my suit is shipped.

From what I gather, S&M can do custom/MTO suits but the website isn't set up for this process yet. I'm hoping it's possible to make a few stylistic changes to my suit: side adjusters instead of belt loops, soft shoulders, and wider lapels. Rick, if I could PM you with an order # or something and we could discuss this, that'd be great. I don't mind the wait or the upcharge for MTO.

This is fantastic. In terms of shoulders and lapels, this is the look I'm after (except I'll stick with 2 button for my suit, though this 3-roll-2 is executed perfectly.) @Claghorn, what are the specs here for the shoulders and lapels? I could be wrong, but those lapels definitely look wider than on S&M's standard OTR jackets.

5. spiermackay

If you could PM me the order# and we can go from there.

1 person likes this.
  6. SJR3

SJR3 Active Member

Done. Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. :)

7. Beav

Beav Senior member

And just one more question about jackets @spiermackay: do you have any restock on the navy hopsack on the horizon?

1 person likes this.
  8. spiermackay

Next week. Slightly different cloth, a bit more inky/midnight.

9. losrockets

losrockets Senior member

Got another batch of suits coming soon? Tempted to buy at least one of the new Guabello. Your SS selection last year was great so I'm hoping there are similarly summery patterns and materials in Rtw on the horizon.

10. chiggyv

chiggyv Senior member

Thinking ahead to Spring and hoping to add some polos to the S&M stable, likely during the next sale.

Do you guys generally prefer the shirt collar variation or standard polo? Excuse my ignorance but I'm not quite aware of what the difference is, even after handling them in store (albeit months ago).

11. Spex

Spex Senior member

I prefer the shirt collar version. One, perhaps irrelevant, reason is that most cheap, standard polos you find out there have a floppy rib collar, so I prefer something different. Second, and more importantly, I find the shirt collar looks better under a light sweater or cardigan, or even a sportcoat, if that's your thing.

I would like it if there was a way S&M could perhaps do something with the collar band to help the collar to sit up like an actual shirt collar.

12. chiggyv

chiggyv Senior member

Thanks for the input, Spex. I'm with you on the rib collars so I'll try out the alternative and see how it goes.

13. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

I agree with Spex, the dress collar is the way to go. Fantastic polos.

14. scatterbrain

scatterbrain Senior member

I was too chubby for the polos last year. Lol. Hopefully if I keep hitting the gym this year will be different.

I, too, am partial to the dress collar.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  15. jamie411

jamie411 Senior member

I agree a slight change to the collar band would be nice to keep it more upright, as well as if there were some way to prevent the collar tips from curling. The shirt collar option is great though.

16. flvinny521

flvinny521 Senior member

That's my only complaint; the collars very easily curl and bunch up.

17. goslings

goslings New Member

Looks great. The unfused collar is a big upgrade in comfort. Are the cuffs fused? I've tried both in the MTM program but found the unfused cuff construction isn't stiff enough to hold it's shape over time, particularly in the double/French cuff style.

18. spiermackay

Generally, what is done to the collar is done to the cuff. If you want an unfused collar and a fused cuff, you can ask for that in the notes. Alternatively, you can asked for a stiffer unfused cuff as well, they will just just use a double layer of interlining compared to a single layer they normally use.

19. mrw464

mrw464 New Member

34R for Lazio/Washington in SS fits me well; what size should I got for with the new Guabello suits? Prior to Model 2, I used to fit the 36 for S&M well, but Model 2 made size 36 bigger. I'm not sure if 34 is too small.

20. spiermackay

Stick with the 34R then. If the SS Lazio 34 fits you well, this should fit very similar.