1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by spiermackay, Mar 14, 2014.

1. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

I thought there was that infamous discussion here about the gap of the first button on shirts to the top of the collar. Some users preferred the button to be placed high so when worn without a tie it wouldn't show too much neck. While others preferred the button to be placed lower.

I then thought both options were available when selecting button down collar?

Getting shirts made and want to make sure I pick the right one as I prefer the button placement to be lower.

2. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Senior member

You just mention is as an adjustment, higher or lower button placement. Rick will know what you mean.

There are 2 collars avail but they are large (regular oxford collar) and compact button down (much smaller, no roll).

1 person likes this.
  3. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

Yep, CanadaCal nailed it, you will have to mention in the notes in regards to the placement. On oxfords the lower placement is standard for the OTR releases.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  4. jamie411

jamie411 Senior member

For what its worth, I actually prefer two pleats at the cuff. I find the one large pleat often constricts around the forearm more. I don't know if Rick made any adjustments to the pattern...

5. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

I need to look closer but I can only imagine the 2 pleat being much better when summer comes around and I want to roll the sleeves on them. I think the latest round with the pink brushed no box pleat was back to 1 pleat cuffs, I'll have to check.

6. mattdalton

mattdalton Member

@Burzan I think you are right on one pleat for other oxfords. Mine in contemporary fit have one pleat including two shirts I got in December.

Over the years I have had one pleat, two pleat and shirred cuff shirts and at the end of the day all are acceptable. While I do understand people having a preference this is a far less important factor for me than collar, fabric, and of course fit when it comes to OTR shirts.

7. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

Totally agree with you. I think the only reason I even noticed the change on the blue oxford was when I was ironing it, doesn't even cross my mind when wearing the shirts.

8. spiermackay

spiermackay Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Is there any desire for a unfused kamakura type collar for OTR? In a Semi or Full Spread?

We've been getting a lot of requests for custom for unfused, but I wanted to reach out to the larger community for feedback? I'm thinking of doing an unfused on the upcoming Thomas Mason OTR group and MOP buttons.

1 person likes this.
  9. Beav

Beav Senior member

Yes! This would be really cool.

10. TOBestWR

TOBestWR Active Member

I would be in for the full or even extreme spread.

11. CMAc7

CMAc7 Senior member

Yes. Particularly on a chambray or (gasp) denim shirt [​IMG]

12. 2942

2942 Well-Known Member

Yes, semi spread for me.

13. Spex

Spex Senior member

I have ordered unfused collars on some of my custom S&M shirts and although they were a but finicky at the start when it came to ironing and laying flat when worn with a tie, they have settled down and I have improved my ironing technique. I think they are well executed and I have a few Kamamkura spread collar shirt as a comparison.

I think the fused collar OTR shirts should move toward the type of lightly fused collar that I have also tried with some of my S&M custom shirts. It's a nice middle ground - easy to iron and comfortable to wear while still maintaining the more formal look of a heavier fused collar (which I mean as the standard OTR S&M spread collar).

14. exfalso

exfalso Member

I would definitely love that -- last year's linen-cotton shirts were definitely my favourites. 

I would also love to see denim with (semi-)spread collars, but not everyone likes the idea, I think.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  15. Lancaster

Lancaster Senior member

Extreme spread here.

16. drdressed

drdressed Member

Yes please! Full spread!

17. flytothesky

flytothesky Well-Known Member

+1 for unfused full spread collars. They are great.

18. alwaysanalien

alwaysanalien Member

@spiermackay absolutely! OTR unlined full spread, please! Exclusively what I buy from you guys on the MTM front.

19. doodledoc

doodledoc Senior member

@spiermackay

Would you consider releasing Italian Spread Collar shirts OTR?

20. spiermackay

spiermackay Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Gentlemen, We've just uploaded the new Guabello OTR suiting.

Have a look:

http://www.spierandmackay.com/search.php?srchtext=guabello

We've kept it pretty conservative for this first release. But to put it into perspective, with this quality of cloth and construction, detail and finishing: This would be the equivalent to the Suitsupply Sienna @ $639 USD. These start at $525 CAD, bundle down to $475 CAD or about $365 USD at the current exchange. So staying true to our mantra of Fit, Quality, VALUE...we find it pretty hard pressed to beat.

Navy Birdseye: Super 130's
    [​IMG]

Blue Check: Super 120's
    [​IMG]

Steel Blue Sharkskin: Super 130's
    [​IMG]

Light Gray: Super 130's
    [​IMG]

Medium Gray: Super 120's
    [​IMG]

Navy Micro Check: Super 120's
    [​IMG]