1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by spiermackay, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Ebichuman

Ebichuman Senior member

It can easily go both ways, lighter pants and accessories for Spring, maybe Summer, heavier flannels for F/W. if I recall correctly from handling it, the weight is fine for either application. It comes quarter lined, by the way, should help in warmer weather.

2. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

Well now that I am in love with the pleat-less blue oxford I picked up the old version won't see a ton of use so I'm thinking of experimenting on trying to soften up the material.

Anyone have any suggestions to do so? Wash them lots with towels? Extra fabric softener? Should I run the risk of shrinkage and tumble dry it? I'm open to all suggestions.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  3. Spex

Spex Senior member

I would imagine washing with rocks would do more to soften it than washing with towels. The only thing I've found that really softens a piece of clothing up is to wear it a lot and wear it in all situations. Lie down on the couch. Pass out in bed while wearing it. Play contact sports, etc. If you already have a replacement, then experimenting with shorts bursts in the dryer wouldn't be the worst thing to try either.

4. mattdalton

mattdalton Member

I have pretty much the same question as @pmestrad, but regarding the gun check sportcoats. What's the view there - more limited to fall/winter, or could they be 3- or 4-season jackets? Thanks!

5. losrockets

losrockets Senior member

Gunchecks are 4-season. Brown may be harder to wear in S/S because pattern + color for some people (I'll probably still wear it), but the navy is a year rounder for sure.

6. Yagub Zamanov

Yagub Zamanov Member

Seems like the SALEON code does not work?

7. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Senior member

8. LoKey

LoKey Senior member

Is there a code necessary to access the additional 20% off? Or are the prices sold as listed?

9. chiggyv

chiggyv Senior member

Some nice Chambray cloth added as well.

10. Spex

Spex Senior member

I don't see the chambray, but wow...$179 fabrics? I know they are TM, but this is still S&M after all...no offense.

And yeah, when is this 20% off sale items promotion over anyways?

11. ino68

ino68 Senior member

I ordered a shirt in the end-on-end TM goldline, and it's totally worth the higher price.

I think the selection at $129 is new old stock bought at a discount, so the $179 price point must be for newer fabric.

TM goldline can be had elsewhere for $300, so it's still good value at S&M!

12. spiermackay

spiermackay Senior member Affiliate Vendor

The $179 CAD price for TM is pretty much the best bet for direct from the mill cloth. That drops to $159 with the bundle. Thats about $122 USD. Very hard pressed to find better value.

Combine that with the solid fit and construction we offer who else is doing it better at a better value?

We're value driven. Not necessarily trying to be the cheap shirt.

The previous lot of TM goldline cloth we got from a factory getting rid of end bolts for far below cost. We were lucky to get them but that is not the market price for that item.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  13. Kokoya1

Kokoya1 Member

Problem is, I'm pretty sure that "TM goldline stuff" isn't really Thomas Mason. I have a friend that works closely with alumo and TM, and when I showed him to shirt to compare, he told me it wasn't even close to TM standards. So now I don't really trust any TM fabric unless it has a tag attached to it.

I also had a similar experience with a local spot that sells fabrics, Sultans Fabrics. They were selling everything as Alumo, everything as thomas mason just to make a sale, quite scummy tbh. Just be cautious of what people try to sell you, and to think twice before believing everything.

And by the way, these new shirts are 2/100, meaning they are Silver Line TM for $179.

14. ino68

ino68 Senior member

That is a good ethos [​IMG]

As a 'no name' cloth I'd say the end-on-end is still really, really nice. At the price point it's a bit high without the name, but you can easily
    walk into Saks and buy some junk for just as much, so I'm not too worried :)

1 person likes this.
  15. nickrut

nickrut Senior member

Everything I've bought has been a great value from SM.

Still hoping to try mtm suiting soon though

16. Kokoya1

Kokoya1 Member

Understood,

I'm just not a fan of false advertising is all. Deception really irks me.

Carry on

17. scatterbrain

scatterbrain Senior member

Even assuming I believe you (based on your history of 8 posts), these are serious accusations made based on flimsy evidence. @LA Guy?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  18. Pepetito

Pepetito Active Member

Anyone else think the current crop of fine twills are thinner and wrinkle a little more than the previous batch?

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

19. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Senior member

I like that S&M is bringing more expensive options forward. I think it should continue with suits, SC's, trousers, I've been telling S&M for a while now... We saw it with the Biella flannels this year, everyone loved the product, and I would bet they sold as well as any other trouser they have made (at a higher price). SC's are getting more/better feedback, better fabrics, better production mfg.

There is more then enough value in this brand for the average consumer. Its time to bring forward some premium options for the consumer who found this brand because of the value, but now wants more. If they can't offer this, those clients will move on. IMO they are starting to show that they can.

If you only shop S&M for $45 shirts, that's perfectly fine... But don't scoff at higher MTM fabrics or price. Procuring better quality materials and higher prices is important to the development of the overall brand.

https://propercloth.com/fabrics/thomas-mason - I see some of the same fabrics 150-250 USD... [​IMG]

20. spiermackay

spiermackay Senior member Affiliate Vendor

If you bought the fine twill with the code starting with RY instead of MT, then yes, it's slightly lighter weight and is a little less expensive. The RY Twill is a single 50's, compared to the MT with is a 2 Ply 80's.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017