• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I bought one of the new shortened OCBDs with the unlined collar.

I can echo the sentiment of requesting a looser fit towards the mid section and bottom of the shirt if you are decreasing length. For the shortened OCBD, the overall length is shorter but the bottom is just as slim as the regular contemporary shirts which makes for a hugging effect at the waist that is not balanced out by extra length.

Well noted. Great feedback.

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any side-by-side pic of the Navy Blue Solid and Navy Blue Sharkskin suit?

Spex

Reaction score
Re: the denim shirt question, I generally like my casual shirts with a button down collar. However, if you can get your hands on some finer denim, especially in a brighter blue, I've seen some examples from Eton, Drakes and the Armoury where a spread collar can look nice. Those types of shirts would work without a tie or with something like a knit or wool tie. I don't know that they would work in a heavier denim or something very washed looking. The type of spread collar I'm thinking is more along the lines of the full spread you used for the cotton/linen shirts and not the semi-spread on your typical dress shirts.

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Have a bunch landing next week. Oxfords should be towards the end of the month.

If the delivery includes the university stripes, this will be life altering.

Re: the denim shirt question, I generally like my casual shirts with a button down collar. However, if you can get your hands on some finer denim, especially in a brighter blue, I've seen some examples from Eton, Drakes and the Armoury where a spread collar can look nice. Those types of shirts would work without a tie or with something like a knit or wool tie. I don't know that they would work in a heavier denim or something very washed looking. The type of spread collar I'm thinking is more along the lines of the full spread you used for the cotton/linen shirts and not the semi-spread on your typical dress shirts.

Please do not put a large semi-spread or even full spread collar on your denim shirts. These collars are way too large for casual use without a jacket or even a tie. It should either be a button down or a smaller semi-spread. Also, unlined, as denim is inherently thick.

Spex

Reaction score
If the delivery includes the university stripes, this will be life altering.
Please do not put a large semi-spread or even full spread collar on your denim shirts. These collars are way too large for casual use without a jacket or even a tie. It should either be a button down or a smaller semi-spread. Also, unlined, as denim is inherently thick.

I agree with the un-lined-ness. In terms of the type of spread, I agree it should not be a large spread collar. S&M doesn't have exactly the type of collar I've seen on good examples of what I'm talking about, so perhaps this is an opportunity to develop one? In any event, I'd personally still buy one with a button down collar, myself.

Here are some denim spread collar shirts as examples of what I think would fly:

https://www.etonshirts.com/ca/lightweight-denim-shirt-08047661728

https://propercloth.com/dress-shirts/japanese-washed-denim-36429.html

https://leangarments.com/products/washed-denim-spread-collar-shirt

http://www.sidmashburn.com/shop/sport-shirts/rinse-denim-spread-collar-sport-shirt.html

Spex

Reaction score
Those extreme cutaways are going to be a fleeting trend. They've always looked a bit ridiculous to me.

I was thinking something more like this. Many of the heavier casual shirts could benefit from an "in between" collar.

http://usonline.apc.fr/kansas-shirt...COnMgo2xr84CFQEmhgod8AgAMw#Stonewashed indigo

Not really for me, but to each their own. I think we can at least agree on the production of a button down collar.
bigstar[1].gif

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For once I agree with @Spex . I'd be in for both the small spread/cutaway or button down. That APC collar is terrible.

I would never plan to wear this with a jacket, and although extremely frowned upon, I find small to medium spread collars worn open unbuttoned just fine. Of course the button down is preferred and likely the best choice if only running 1 model.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Is there a SF promo code?

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The denim we have is 4.5 oz, a good weight that's not too thick and works great casually without getting too warm. We are planning on running 2 cuts in 3 washes. Button Down and a Casual Dress shirt. Washes will be Rinsed, so close to raw. A medium and a Light wash.

The Button Down, do we make is a real casual and run the shorter length and open the waist a bit?

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could cut off an inch on the casual, and give an inch in the waist. If I am comparing it to the slim fit. Also add chest pocket.

What collar in the casual dress?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads