• CALLING ON HOME SEWERS TO HELP HEALTHCARE WORKERS FIGHTING COVID-19

The lack of proper masks, gowns, and eyewear equipment is making it difficult for health workers to do their work fighting the novel coronavirus. In a recent New York Times article, medical workers said they were worried about how they can both fight the coronavirus without imperiling themselves, as well as their loved ones when they go back home.

If you are a home sewer, please consider helping my joining Hickey Freman Technical Vice President Jeffery Diduch in his effort to produce and deliver homemade gowns and masks to medical professionals in the greater Rochester, New York Area. Read about how you can help here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear a 40R OTR from SuitSupply, and a 40R Contemporary from S&M is shown in medium gray, below. What I'd really like is a tropical wool suit in the same color. I live in a hot and humid climate. Unfortunately, it seems S&M's travel and tropical suits are all in a lighter gray, while I'd like to have a lightweight option in a normal business color/fabric.

In any case, what do folks think about the fit? I'm generally pleased after the sleeves and trousers would be hemmed. My only uncertainty is the shoulder; in the side-profile shot, you can see a pretty big crease on the outside of the shoulder sleeve. Would that be easy to tailor away?

View attachment 1360902View attachment 1360903View attachment 1360901View attachment 1360900
maybe size up? appears you need a bit more room in the shoulder

hpreston

Reaction score
I wear a 40R OTR from SuitSupply, and a 40R Contemporary from S&M is shown in medium gray, below. What I'd really like is a tropical wool suit in the same color. I live in a hot and humid climate. Unfortunately, it seems S&M's travel and tropical suits are all in a lighter gray, while I'd like to have a lightweight option in a normal business color/fabric.

In any case, what do folks think about the fit? I'm generally pleased after the sleeves and trousers would be hemmed. My only uncertainty is the shoulder; in the side-profile shot, you can see a pretty big crease on the outside of the shoulder sleeve. Would that be easy to tailor away?

Tailor could open the back seam between the shoulder blades a bit. That would likely fix it.
maybe size up? appears you need a bit more room in the shoulder
Hard to tell what is going by the pics. Do you have someone that can take pictures for you? Would like to see a robo pose from the back.

I am not sure you need to size up, or if letting out center back seam would do anything with the small shoulder divot. I could be a minor pitch issue, which is not an easy alteration. It could also be something that lessens over time as the jacket gets used to your posture.

Overall, based on pics provided, it is not something I would worry about, or attempt to alter. I recommend you get the sleeves shortened and wear it a few times before you think about any further alterations.

Ladislav

Reaction score
Hi guys,
maybe someone could share his experience on shirt sizing. Especially oxfords. I have 105 cm chest and around 79 kg. I was once advised that 16 slim should be an option for me, once selecting a shirt. It worked out well with exception by my last pick. I ordered a bunch of oxfords button downs. And maybe not surprisingly, nevertheless they got shrunk once washed(cold water, dried on the hanger). I got 4 pieces and one reduced chest of 2cm another just 1cm. So do you have any experience particularly with these oxfords? I have also other S&M shirts in 16 slim(not oxfords) and they are good.
Thanks

Last edited:

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi guys,
maybe someone could share his experience on shirt sizing. Especially oxfords. I have 105 cm chest and around 79 kg. I was once advised that 16 slim should be an option for me, once selecting a shirt. It worked out well with exception by my last pick. I ordered a bunch of oxfords button downs. And maybe not surprisingly, nevertheless they got shrunk once washed(cold water, tumble dry). I got 4 pieces and one reduced chest of 2cm another just 1cm. So do you have any experience particularly with these oxfords? I have also other S&M shirts in 16 slim(not oxfords) and they are good.
Thanks
Do not tumble dry 100% cotton shirts. They will shrink.

Acquiesce

Reaction score
Sorry got to correct myself. They were not tumbled dry. They were hung and let to dry naturally. Pardon my wrong expression.
They will shrink a little bit when exposed to water
You could try sizing up and then wash and dry
Good luck

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The three Guabello Wool/Cotton/Silk Hopsack MTO jackets are up and we're offering them at a reduced price right now, because you know, things are tight. $398 USD, which is basically an OTR price for this item.

The fabric is very dry, excellent hand. Amazingly cool wearing. Really great colour registration on these as well.

We have about 40 jackets available in each.

6716f-301-1_1.jpg6716f-301-4.jpg6716f-302-1.jpg

vriche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since the vests don't come in long sizes, would they work for someone that takes a long size?

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Since the vests don't come in long sizes, would they work for someone that takes a long size?
They actually run longer than standard waistcoats. Should be fine for a Long. We actually plan on shortening them for the next round.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The three Guabello Wool/Cotton/Silk Hopsack MTO jackets are up and we're offering them at a reduced price right now, because you know, things are tight. $398 USD, which is basically an OTR price for this item.

The fabric is very dry, excellent hand. Amazingly cool wearing. Really great colour registration on these as well.

We have about 40 jackets available in each.

View attachment 1361076View attachment 1361077View attachment 1361078
e698462d452a97d38e13c14b30d89e1b.gif

zewill

Reaction score
They actually run longer than standard waistcoats. Should be fine for a Long. We actually plan on shortening them for the next round.
Waiting for those who wear regular or short to ask what size they need :D
I'm a long, so tempted ! It's though thought because with jackets varying in lengh, and jacket length being a risky alteration, only way to be sure is to try on

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

WHICH TYPE OF SNEAKERS WORK BEST ON A FIRST DATE?

• Classic Leather Low-Top

• Canvas Plimsoll

• Leather Slip-On

• Canvas Slip-On

• Athletic Kicks

• Leather High-Top

Results are only viewable after voting.