1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by spiermackay, Mar 14, 2014.

1. flytothesky

flytothesky Well-Known Member

That is a joke right? Everyone knows that Spier and Mackay customer service is terrible. The only way to solve issues is to PM Rik because that is the only way to get it done. I have tried emailing and calling so many times to get things done and it never happens.

Just got to talk to Rik directly and then he gives you a discount off your order so you don't complain anymore.

I am done with ordering from Spier, if anything they shouldn't be allowed on styleforum for the way they treat their customers. If it was a isolated incident that would be okay but every month or so there are so many complaints on this thread. I was a loyal customer but the last few incidents put a sour taste in my mouth. I am never vocal because I am very patient but I truly believe people should just stay away from this company.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  2. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

Ok guys, call off the dogs.

This is starting to remind me of the Meermin thread. If you want amazing service all the time, stick to Bergdorf. But be prepared to pay Bergdorf prices.

3. Marsay

Marsay Senior member

Meh. If you expect to be treated like royalty, expect to pay Anderson & Sheppard's prices. Otherwise give an entrepreneur a break. That's all I have to say on the matter.

1 person likes this.
  4. othertravel

If you expect to be treated like the gods of Mount Olympus, prepare to defeat and capture Cerberus from the depths of Hades. Otherwise, give Spier a break.

5. flytothesky

flytothesky Well-Known Member

No one is expected to be treated like royalty but having to contact them after 2 weeks for my order to ship is unacceptable. I don't think it is unreasonable to not have to contact a company for them to ship my items out.

6. othertravel

7. lh0628

lh0628 Member

Fair enough, then tell me what expectations I can have as a customer?

8. tiktokclikclak

tiktokclikclak New Member

I didn't come here looking to cause drama, I posted in this thread looking for information on what's going on, or if there were any others who made purchases from this sale experiencing the same communication issue, which unfortunately seems to be the case for at least one other person. While several days of not answering / returning calls or emails may not be a cause for panic, it's certainly out of the ordinary.

I'm more than willing to give SM the benefit of the doubt. It may be that they are overwhelmed / understaffed for the volume of this sale, maybe growing pains or maybe something else happened. But a complete lack of communication on all fronts is disappointing and frustrating for any customer. Hopefully we'll get clarification soon, but in any case I think it's important to share information on here.

1 person likes this.
  9. Ebichuman

Ebichuman Senior member

I have been buying from Spier for a few years now and my experience has been very good. However, the amount of complaints that pop up in this thread is worrying and I hope Rick is taking action to remediate.

I recall somewhat similar developments around Howard Yount, a former darling and affiliate of SF. It had high quality goods and excellent, if sometimes erratic, service. And then the service started getting more and more erratic, communications on the affiliate thread became rarer and rarer, lots of posters starting having difficulties resolving simple problems. I stopped ordering from HY, which sometime later ended its affiliate relationship with SF. I don't know if it continues to do well or not as a business and I don't really care - I moved on...

I just sincerely hope we don't have to go down that path here.

Rick, are you listening?

:thumbs-up:

10. althanis

althanis Senior member

This is what I don't understand, and I've seen it happen in the Luxire and Epaulet threads: someone has a legitimate complaint, and fans of the service somehow take it personally, as if their mother is being insulted.

Telling people who have complaints that they should shut up or go do Bergdorf is creating a false dichotomy in what people can expect.

Anyway, I haven't purchased anything from S&M yet, but I look forward to doing so, as it looks like most people are happy, and they provide great value. That brown guncheck is especially appealing, as I'm almost certain it's the same fabric in my avatar, which was an Epaulet jacket that I had to sell because it was too small.

2 people like this.
  11. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

Fair point. Agreed. I;'ve not seen recently the Epaulet thread but from what I remember it was a shit show a while back.

Being local we have an advantage. I'll second that I had to call 3 times before someone answered the phone. However, I've never had any major issues with SM. They're hands down my go to and favourite brand for dress shirts and pants.

One note, every time I enter the Mississauga store and DT, there are new employees. I'll continue to support a Canadian company but I'm in agreement they need to fix their CS issues, especially for people not local.

12. linsook

linsook Senior member

i'll chime in.

was eager to purchase from SM--decent offerings at a good value. sent an email 2 months ago with questions on customization, haven't heard back. haven't bought anything yet. perhaps in the future. i'll take a peek in their store next time however i'm certainly not going out of my way for that though.

13. othertravel

I'm not taking it personally, just stating a fact. If you shop at a high end store like Bergdorf or Harry Rosen, they have the capacity to deal with issues like this.

For example, you can buy a lambo from an authorized dealer and get great service (which is reflected in the price).

Or you can buy it on Craigslist, and then wonder why the seller won't call you back when the steering wheel falls off (exaggerating of course, but you get the idea).

14. althanis

althanis Senior member

I won't comment on this further, but come on man, you know that creating two false extremes like that is exactly what a false dichotomy is, right? It's not really helping contextualize the feedback that is being offered to S&M, and is just being dismissive to people's valid concerns. Imagine if S&M responded to customers/potential customers the way you are.

1 person likes this.
  15. losrockets

losrockets Senior member

Yeah, that was annoying. Especially the entire NMWA thread anytime NMWA/Greg (who has created an awesome web store) is minimally offended or disparaged.

16. othertravel

A better example would be buying a Tom Ford suit from their boutique, versus buying it from a hobbyist on B&S. The hobbyist will have great prices, but don't expect much in the way of trouble shooting or customer support.

And I didn't say the concerns were invalid. Of course they are. And I'm not making a normative judgment on the purchasers decision to buy from Spier. What I'm essentially saying is we as consumers always do a cost benefit analysis on purchases. In this case, we prefer lower prices even at the expense of a strong customer-service infrastructure.

To NMWA's credit, they have that infrastructure. But they're also not known for knock down prices.

To the original poster who had return issues: I'm sure you'll be taken care off. Spier's not a run by night operation. But based on other people's feedback, it might be a while.

I wish Rick great success, and I hope he can augment his customer service capacity.

One more point to illustrate my argument. I had an issue with Brooks Brothers the other day. I emailed customer support and they got back to me within 48 hours with specific questions about my complaint. Brooks is expensive, but we see where a lot of that money goes.

17. Kokoya1

Kokoya1 Member

Sorry to come off from the other side again, but I don't think your argument comes off strong.

What you're saying is,

Pricier company = better customer support
    Bargain company = lower end customer support

At what point does a "small business", turn into a real company.

Please keep in mind that this company has been running in operations for over 5+ years ( this isn't so much a hobbyist / Craigslist anymore), and the infrastructure for the most basic communications is broken.

Regardless of how much I'm paying for a product, I should expect a certain level of quality and customer support, that's a basic part of buying from a business no?
    Isn't it weird for you to turn on the client and say " you should have expected this", instead of critiquing the company and saying " you guys need to improve this"

As typical tomorrow Spier and Mackay will announce the " Sorry about this please PM me" - "We are working diligently to get better CS Staff" - "The holidays got us swamped", but are they really going to say that every time it happens, and people change how they feel about the CS?

All in all, it's seems easy to protect a brand when you guys have met Rick in person, but it seems only those that are on the "in" crowd get any type of proper customer care, and those like us located outside of Toronto suffer

18. othertravel

I agree with your point, but you're misunderstanding mine. I said that Rick should be enhancing his CS capacity. And big company doesn't automatically mean better customer service. My mentioning of Bergdorf, Harry, and Brooks was to illustrate that those companies specifically invested in a customer service infrastructure that's quite strong (based on my own experience). But that usually comes with a cost, which is usually higher retail prices.

And I don't know much about NMWAs business model. But compared to Spier, don't they operate on a smaller volume approach?

If NMWA is Carmina, then Spier is Meermin. Good bang for the buck, but a lot more complaints (just scroll through the Meermin thread - similar issues).

Last point I'll make is that I wrote my original response because one of the dissatisfied customers said Spier should be removed from SF, which is an overreaction. Spier isn't engaging in malfeasance. Just weak customer service.

(To clarify, I like Rick and his products. But I'm not a partisan. My first post up above, 7 hours ago, was in response to the tone of the member with the bad experience). We don't need to go overboard is all I'm saying.

19. CMAc7

CMAc7 Senior member

Not true. Plenty of us non Toronto residents have received exceptional customer service. I have had Rick fully replace one item and eat the shipping by simply discretely bringing an issue to his attention. He even offered to remake a custom suit for me for something he felt was an issue, even though it wasn't.

I think the blowback you are getting is more indicative of your propensity to use a public fan forum to air your grievances. You would get the same blowback on the Allen Edmonds and SuitSupply forums. If you have an issue, it would be best to solve it privately and not subject an entire forum to the issue simply as a tactic to hold the owner to the fire.

20. Ebichuman

Ebichuman Senior member

The problem is, this approach just doesn't work for some folks: they can't get help through other means and they need to use this forum to get resolution.

1 person likes this.