1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by spiermackay, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

Rick mentioned some production issues with the wash process on them, I do not think they will be here anytime soon.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  2. spiermackay

spiermackay Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Not coming until January.....maybe. Two of the washes are fine now, the third is still coming out with a heavy green tone. They will be priced at $54 CAD and $45 CAD when bundled in 3.

3. spiermackay

spiermackay Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Fabric is on back order with the Mill. I'm hounding them regularly for it.

4. AntiHero84

AntiHero84 Senior member

I may have missed earlier posts on this, but what is the style of shirt? Button Down? Point Collar? Spread? Something different?

5. Spex

Spex Senior member

I believe there will be both button down and wide spread versions (I hope there is), but Rick can confirm I'm sure.

In terms of that one wash coming out greenish I'm curious to how it looks. Perhaps that might be an interesting option...

6. colHolm

colHolm Senior member

Some recent arrivals... Blue hopsack (from the new factory) 3r2 blazer and the blue with red check cashmere blend sport coat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
  7. Ebichuman

Ebichuman Senior member

Thumbs up for @colHolm - I have the same two coats :slayer:

1 person likes this.
  8. colHolm

colHolm Senior member

Obviously we are men of impeccable taste! Cheers!

9. jeam3130

jeam3130 Well-Known Member

Does sm ever stock 36L or 38L slim suits? Is it bad to buy a long suit for the extra sleeve length and have the body shortened? Not sure it that would throw the proportions off

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  10. Spex

Spex Senior member

I believe they only ever made longs in the Contemporary fit, and those seem to have been discontinued.

But to your question, shortening the length of a jacket is usually not a good idea since it changes the pocket placement and the buttoning point may be lower than you want on a L vs a R. Perhaps you are not aware of this, but it's a common procedure to lengthen the sleeves on an off-the-rack jacket some there is usually some extra material tucked in there. Obviously these is a limit to how much, but Rick could certainly comment on this.

Also note that many guys wear jackets with sleeves that are too long and completely cover their shirt cuffs. Don't do that. Show a 1/4 to a 1/2 inch of shirt cuff.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  11. colHolm

colHolm Senior member

I think @jeam3130 already posted some fit pics... The sleeve length was short on a regular jacket by about an inch and a half.

But I agree with @Spex, shortening a long jacket for sleeve length is not the best way to go about it. I think Rick has said in the past there is about 7/8" under the sleeve to let out. Whether there is any more at the sleeve head, I don't know. But getting into those alterations, may as well go mtm.

12. jeam3130

13. Spex

Spex Senior member

If the jacket in question is a Contemporary fit, I've found going up a size and switching to the slim could work. For example, the Contemp 38L suit jacket was the best fit in the store, but a Slim 40R was the next best fit. Just ask them to swap the trousers to the desired fit and size if those that come standard with the jacket don't work for you.

So in other words, if someone finds a Contemp 38R too short in sleeves and length, a Slim 40R might work better.

14. flvinny521

flvinny521 Senior member

@spiermackay I apologize if this has already been covered. If I wanted a MTM suit, trousers, or sports coat, could you copy an existing garment a la Luxire, or do you have to base it off one of your OTR items?

15. jeam3130

Any idea what the boxing day sale will be? Also, anyone know if instore MTM suits are usually excluded from sales?

Also, is the store open on boxing day?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  16. winghus

winghus Senior member

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
  17. bossman08

bossman08 Senior member

I recently purchased my first two dress shirts (RTW) and I have to say i'm impressed by the quality of fabric. Only problem is I think the sleeves might be .25 inch short...if I'm not mistaken. Is there any allowance included to lengthen the sleeves? @spiermackay

Also, I noticed the collar points on my premium white twill full spread collar shirt to be slightly shorter than my regular full spread collar shirt. Is this normal?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
  18. flvinny521

flvinny521 Senior member

19. sobecane

sobecane Well-Known Member

Same thing happened to me! The white shirt has a smaller collar which caused it to keep untucking from under the lapels of my jacket

[​IMG]

20. An Acute Style

An Acute Style Senior member

Big fan of S&M shirts. My recent batch had some problems. The metal clips used to keep the shirts neat when folded left stains on the shirt. I thought they would come out in the wash, but they didn't. I know a lot of companies use plastic clips for this reason.

There was also some discussion in another thread about companies not using so much plastic and paper and pins to fold their shirts when shipping. It was nice with my first shirt, but now it's actually annoying having to undo all the bindings. Could one opt out of that? It may be harder for OTR, but seems easily doable for custom.

2 people like this.