• Styleforum is going on Instagram Live with Paul Kelly of S.E.H. Kelly on Friday, April 10, 7:00 a.m. PDT

Wake up tomorrow and tune in as Peter talks to Paul Kelly of S.E.H Kelly, a long time Styleforum member and sponsor, in the latest episode in our ongoing series of conversations about COVID-19 and the impact the global pandemic on the menswear industry

Tune in at 7:00 a.m. PDT

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
at this point, pretty hard, 10 years down the road, anything is possible..., though expect coronavirus to be global eventually, it's too contagious

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I wonder how hard it would be to move production to Vietnam.
Vietnam isn't equipped to make this level of quality in quantity. They currently are good at making simple garments, like t-shirts, sweatshirts, etc. Something as complicated as a canvas suit will take several years and a lot of infrastructure investment to do. Also worker training. The factories we used brought in resident technicians from Italy and France to train the staff. I'm not saying Vietnam won't get there, but they aren't there yet. Same goes for areas like Cambodia and Indonesia.

Chris-Wearings

Reaction score
Vietnam isn't equipped to make this level of quality in quantity. They currently are good at making simple garments, like t-shirts, sweatshirts, etc. Something as complicated as a canvas suit will take several years and a lot of infrastructure investment to do. Also worker training. The factories we used brought in resident technicians from Italy and France to train the staff. I'm not saying Vietnam won't get there, but they aren't there yet. Same goes for areas like Cambodia and Indonesia.
Just adding to that, diseases like COVID-19 can originate anywhere.

Last edited:

Torzano

Reaction score
Nice work on that washed denim button down shirt @spiermackay . I feel like I'm watching that last Star Wars movie—fan service dialed up to 11.
I’m interested in those as well. Hopefully price is not too high. I love denim shirts but have had mixed results. They fade quicker around the collar and other places. I love the one I have from spier and it’s lasted a long time. I had one from suitsupply that the collar faded so badly after the first wear I had to get rid of it.

ptfly

Reaction score
But Thailand can from my experience

mux8

Reaction score
How much natural stretch can we expect with the Chinos? My wardrobe consists of only stretch chinos and jeans after the discomfort of 100% cotton pants from years previous.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
How much natural stretch can we expect with the Chinos? My wardrobe consists of only stretch chinos and jeans after the discomfort of 100% cotton pants from years previous.
Then your pants are generally too tight.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
But Thailand can from my experience
Good to know. Can you name the brand that is mass manufacturing half-canvas suits with soft Italian like tailoring there?

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good to know. Can you name the brand that is mass manufacturing half-canvas suits with soft Italian like tailoring there?
I thought Brooks Brothers was making things in Thailand? Including some full-canvass pieces.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I’m interested in those as well. Hopefully price is not too high. I love denim shirts but have had mixed results. They fade quicker around the collar and other places. I love the one I have from spier and it’s lasted a long time. I had one from suitsupply that the collar faded so badly after the first wear I had to get rid of it.
Our denim is woven in India and IMO is superior to what I've handled from Albiate. Both softer, silkier and holds dye better.

masernaut

Reaction score
When are the denim shirts going online? And will any of the non-button down versions come back in stock?

Rotbart

Reaction score
What does "neo" mean? Is the hopsack similar in breathability to a fresco fabric?

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I thought Brooks Brothers was making things in Thailand? Including some full-canvass pieces.
Good to know. I have no idea. I'm curious.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.