• CALLING ON HOME SEWERS TO HELP HEALTHCARE WORKERS FIGHTING COVID-19

The lack of proper masks, gowns, and eyewear equipment is making it difficult for health workers to do their work fighting the novel coronavirus. In a recent New York Times article, medical workers said they were worried about how they can both fight the coronavirus without imperiling themselves, as well as their loved ones when they go back home.

If you are a home sewer, please consider helping my joining Hickey Freman Technical Vice President Jeffery Diduch in his effort to produce and deliver homemade gowns and masks to medical professionals in the greater Rochester, New York Area. Read about how you can help here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

sm79

Reaction score
Question about S&M collar sizing on RTW shirts.

I take a 15.5 slim in CT, when you measure the collar on their shirts from the centre of the collar button to the end of the buttonhole, they actually measure 16", CT add an extra 0.5" for comfort and perhaps to accommodate any shrinkage.

Do S&M do the same, will a 15.5" have an additional 0.5 inch on the collar or are they true to size?

Many thanks

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Question about S&M collar sizing on RTW shirts.

I take a 15.5 slim in CT, when you measure the collar on their shirts from the centre of the collar button to the end of the buttonhole, they actually measure 16", CT add an extra 0.5" for comfort and perhaps to accommodate any shrinkage.

Do S&M do the same, will a 15.5" have an additional 0.5 inch on the collar or are they true to size?

Many thanks
Same we add 1/2" to the collar for shrinkage.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@spiermackay
For those of us that have ordered custom madetomeasure suiting, is the factory back up and working on them yet?
Yes, but they only have limited staff. only about 40% of the staff is back. Most are the sewing workers. They have very limited administrative or technical staff back. So it's still a bit slow. I was told, they should be at 80% by March 1st.

MisterrLovely

Reaction score
This really tempts me to MTO a neapolitan cut one. Maybe some lighter buttons.
Do you find it versatile?
Yeah, definitely. I think if you like windowpane, it could make a good MTO option. I've worn mine with a knitted vest and shirt/tie, or with something like a rollneck, or a Spier long sleeved polo. It's a good jacket.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Guabello Navy Hopsack in Neo:

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like user error. Grenadine fina is hard to snag. Grossa snags a bit easier, but if you keep your nails and calluses neat and in check, it's easy to avoid.

Your Hober knots are probably big because:

A) You didn't specify the correct length/width.

or

B) You aren't pulling your knots tight enough.

or

C) You need to re-calibrate your opinion of what a proper knot size is.

Regardless, you can always ask David about changing the tie's proportions so the knot size is smaller. But most people don't need to do this if they get the aforementioned specs correct.
I believe you on Fina, I haven't handled it, but I won't budge on Grossa.

It's not a question of IF they will snag, but when.

Granted, it's easily fixed by pulling a threaded needle through the snag repeatedly, as shown on Hober's website, but I'd rather not have to do that.

I went with my standard tie size of 3.25". The knot is simply too big for what I like, grenadine is a thicker fabric than I was expecting. Yes, I can definitely ask to make the knot area smaller next time, but for $140CAD is no longer worth it for me, I barely wear ties.
There are two Italian mills which produce grenadine fabric--Fermo Fossati & Bianchi. Hober sources from both.
Thanks for the correction, yeah I was wrong.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

WHICH TYPE OF SNEAKERS WORK BEST ON A FIRST DATE?

• Classic Leather Low-Top

• Canvas Plimsoll

• Leather Slip-On

• Canvas Slip-On

• Athletic Kicks

• Leather High-Top

Results are only viewable after voting.