• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some places like Chip Neckwear import the material from Italy and make it elsewhere. I believe Chipp makes them in New York.

I have a black fina from chipp and it makes an awful knot. Very stiff and cheap feeling interlining.

zewill

Reaction score
That is amazing. I need those! That's what drew me to suitsupply, funky textures and amazing and great choice ... now if Spier goes that route I'm all ears! *Throws money at screen*
Any more info on the cloth?

Another shot of these Donegal trousers from last season
View attachment 1341403

EddieK

Reaction score
That is amazing. I need those! That's what drew me to suitsupply, funky textures and amazing and great choice ... now if Spier goes that route I'm all ears! *Throws money at screen*
Any more info on the cloth?

Haha for some reason I thought you were referring to the grenadines. And I was very confused.
I just now saw the quote.

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@spiermackay I remember a few years ago you wrote about how it made little sense to try and sell your own grenadine ties w/ the stiff competition at the time (many companies are AV at Styleforum, and then countless others). I agreed back then, and I'm curious what's changed. I know that many of those companies have come and gone, so is it the decline in competition? The growth of your own business? If it's the latter, what are the relative impacts of economies of scale on the manufacturing end, better understanding of your core customer, and just the simple increase in customer base / brand recognition in this calculus?

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@spiermackay I remember a few years ago you wrote about how it made little sense to try and sell your own grenadine ties w/ the stiff competition at the time (many companies are AV at Styleforum, and then countless others). I agreed back then, and I'm curious what's changed. I know that many of those companies have come and gone, so is it the decline in competition? The growth of your own business? If it's the latter, what are the relative impacts of economies of scale on the manufacturing end, better understanding of your core customer, and just the simple increase in customer base / brand recognition in this calculus?

The issue before was that I couldn't add more value to what was already in the market. Chipp is at $60 USD. A fairly good price and I wasn't able to bring the price any lower.

Now, as I can work directly with the grenadine supplier, I can bring more value. I'd be able to offer it at a slightly better price and offer it as a value added product with other items. Of course, we're sampling still and the construction and lining have to be up to snuff.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate grenadine. It snags if you even look at it funny, and my Hober ties the fattest knot I've seen.
I beg to disagree. Here's one of my Sam Hober ties from this week. You're able to customize the tie as you'd like.

Having said that I'd be interested in some grenadine ties at that price point.

Attachments

• IMG_20200220_095020.jpg
    IMG_20200220_095020.jpg
    331.4 KB · Views: 108

chatelet

Reaction score
I beg to disagree. Here's one of my Sam Hober ties from this week. You're able to customize the tie as you'd like.

Having said that I'd be interested in some grenadine ties at that price point.
Don, is that a fina weave? I have a couple of grossa from Hober.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads