• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The parkas and some of the other outerwear on final sale with the additional 20% coupon are absolute steals. Picked up the brown houndstooth overcoat, a parka and a cableknit.

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
Is the full canvas suit ever going on sale?
This is why habitual sales suck. They cheapen the product in the eyes of the customer and train them to wait for the "real" price, when the original price was more than fair ($600 for a full canvas suit in British fabric!). This then encourages the manufacturer to cut costs and the next round of stuff is a bit worse, and the viscous cycle continues until we're all wearing boxy poly suits from JCP, which fall apart after a season and end up a plasticky mess in the Pacific, and then people complain that no one makes things like they used to.

FLW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is why habitual sales suck. They cheapen the product in the eyes of the customer and train them to wait for the "real" price, when the original price was more than fair ($600 for a full canvas suit in British fabric!). This then encourages the manufacturer to cut costs and the next round of stuff is a bit worse, and the viscous cycle continues until we're all wearing boxy poly suits from JCP, which fall apart after a season and end up a plasticky mess in the Pacific, and then people complain that no one makes things like they used to.
First off, this is not meant to cast aspersions on any and all bargain hunters. Obviously we love a deal, it is part of why we follow this thread.

That said, waiting for a style/fabric to hit sale is a great way to ensure that one of two things happens:

A) Future prices will go up, perhaps dramatically. The sale shell game gets more complicated the more you use it.

B) That style/fabric will never be seen again. The value of the good is compromised by the sale and the seller is far less likely to use it in the future. Retailers, especially those who are interested in producing and selling at value (in other words: not inflated), don't necessarily want to see their goods devalued.

Head over to the BST thread and see how many NWT/NWOT items are offered. Quite a few. I would bet nearly all of them are bought on sale.

Most of this advice we all stare at with glassy eyes and nod, likely having heard it before. Most of us (including myself) probably tell ourselves that we keep this in mind and don't do it. Evidence would suggest otherwise. I myself just perused the sale section.

I think we need fewer "No Purchase Novembers" and more "Full Price Februaries"

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even though it's a very nice jacket in its current shape, rather than the width I would like to see the lapel meet the collar at a steeper angle. I understand if it would be too much work to change the pattern, but if something like THIS could be arranged, I'd be very interested in trying it.

@spiermackay
Ehhhh just looks gigantic to me, not a fan.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm, apparently my last 5 purchases were all full price.

Still worth it, there isn't a better value than Spier even at full price IMO.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.