• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Just me, or do the lapels look skinnier on the new suits?

They are the same. The product pics of the actual suit is a little smaller because of the colour background. We added more pad space around the item. So next to the old pics. Everything looks smaller. But they are the same. 3.5" on a 40.

SJR3

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
They are the same. The product pics of the actual suit is a little smaller because of the colour background. We added more pad space around the item. So next to the old pics. Everything looks smaller. But they are the same. 3.5" on a 40.

I know they're both listed at 3.5" on 40, but these sure look different:

10278-080-3-1.jpg

10005-934-1-2112-1.jpg

I like the lapels in the first pic (an older suit, and the lapels look larger) better. What is the explanation for the difference in appearance? Different jacket sizes used for the product images? Different factory? Or are the lapels different despite the same spes, but still within tolerance?

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I know they're both listed at 3.5" on 40, but these sure look different:

10278-080-3-1.jpg

10005-934-1-2112-1.jpg

I like the lapels in the first pic (an older suit, and the lapels look larger) better. What is the explanation for the difference in appearance? Different jacket sizes used for the product images? Different factory? Or are the lapels different despite the same spes, but still within tolerance?

What you are comparing is a blazer suit to a normal suit. The blazer suit (you can tell by the patch pockets) is based on the sportcoat jacket. The lapel is fractionally larger. About 0.5 cm. But also the lapel angle is different and the shape of the lapel. There is more belly on the sportcoat. I'll physically check tomorrow though as a double check. But we haven't changed the lapel on the suits in 3 years now.

SJR3

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
What you are comparing is a blazer suit to a normal suit. The blazer suit (you can tell by the patch pockets) is based on the sportcoat jacket. The lapel is fractionally larger. About 0.5 cm. But also the lapel angle is different and the shape of the lapel. I'll physically check tomorrow though as a double check. But we haven't changed the lapel on the suits in 3 years now.

Ahhhh I gotchya. My bad. Yeah I think you've mentioned that in this thread before... probably in response to a question from me. ?

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What you are comparing is a blazer suit to a normal suit. The blazer suit (you can tell by the patch pockets) is based on the sportcoat jacket. The lapel is fractionally larger. About 0.5 cm. But also the lapel angle is different and the shape of the lapel. There is more belly on the sportcoat. I'll physically check tomorrow though as a double check. But we haven't changed the lapel on the suits in 3 years now.
I never understood belly.

The suit lapels "pop" more to my eye. Sport coat looks flatter to me

Cibo123

Reaction score
The new suits are all listed as having unpadded shoulders. Is that accurate or a typo? I thought the normal suits (vs blazer suits) had slight padding or has that changed?

SJR3

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I never understood belly.

The suit lapels "pop" more to my eye. Sport coat looks flatter to me

"Belly" just refers to the curvature of the outside lapel edge. No belly would be a straight cut lapel. The Neo lapels have a slight negative belly, or you could think of them as concave. The regular S&M sportcoat lapels have a little bit of belly. It makes sense if you see a picture with lines drawn on it. A while ago, this thread was famous for pics with lines drawn on them. Maybe someone could whip up a pic with some lines drawn on it to illustrate this matter.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lapel "belly" just refers to the curvature of the outside lapel edge. No belly would be a straight cut lapel. The Neo lapels have a slight negative belly, or you could think of them as concave. The regular S&M sportcoat lapels have a little bit of belly. It makes sense if you see a picture with lines drawn on it. A while ago, this thread was famous for pics with lines drawn on them. Maybe someone could whip up a pic with some lines drawn on it to illustrate this matter.
Oooh okay I got it now. To me then it doesn't matter, I only care about the 3D effect of a lapel

SJR3

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Oooh okay I got it now. To me then it doesn't matter, I only care about the 3D effect of a lapel

Yes, I'm largely indifferent about belly as long as it's subtle and the lapels otherwise have a nice shape/size. Not quite sure what you mean by 3D effect. Maybe you're referring to how the lapels roll near the buttoning point?

Last edited:

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I believe this is the response as to why new arrivals don't have certain sizes? I was looking into the blue mix texture for a groomsman in a slim 34.

We stopped carrying 34, but we should have some 34 shorts. Both don't sell very well unfortunately.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads