1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by spiermackay, Mar 14, 2014.

1. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Indeed. To often people hear "MTM" and think "Bespoke".

1 person likes this.
  2. cloud82

cloud82 Active Member

I'd definitely budget for some tweaks...

3. jeam3130

jeam3130 Well-Known Member

Ya I'm not looking for perfect, but since I live far away from Toronto, I'd need things done in one trip.

4. colHolm

colHolm Senior member

I believe @Claghorn has done MTM over the internet based initially off pictures sent in of OTR suits? Then dial it in from there.

5. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Senior member

My MTM jacket needed sleeves adjusted, waist nipped a bit more, and a little ripple taken out of the upper back. Nothing major at all, but if you want to do it in a trip it has to work with the tailors workload.

6. jeam3130

I guess the only way to do it would be to have an MTM made online with pics, then come in when it's ready.

7. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

I wouldn't. I would get measured by a professional and go from there. Even if you're good at measuring yourself (or think you are). In person is always best. I would get measured in person and get the suit made. If anything minor needs to be changed, your local tailor can provide this service

8. jeam3130

i see. so you mean get measured at S&M and have the suit made, then if it needs alterations, have that done locally?

9. Siepi

Siepi Active Member

@jeam3130 , I got a MTM suit made online and didn't get measured in person, although I only needed very minor adjustments from S&M's Model 2, which fits me very well as is. I'd suggest ordering one of their Model 2 suits and seeing how well it fits first, as all adjustments for MTM are done from that base.

A lengthy description of my experience - essentially, while it eventually it turned out great (it's definitely one of the nicest suits I own), there were hiccups and you should prepare for that if time constraints are a factor.

10. jeam3130

glad it worked out for you. how did you go about the online MTM process? did you provide measurements? did you order an OTR one and provide pictures?

11. Siepi

Siepi Active Member

I provided adjustment measurements from an OTR Model 2 suit. Again, they were minor - nipped the waist, lengthened the sleeves, jacket, and correspondingly lowered the button stance, and increased the rise on the pants.

12. jeam3130

gotcha. did you suggest the changes and specify the modifications? or did rick help you with it? im new to mens suits, so i dont think i have the knowledge

13. linsk

linsk Member

Hey Rick,

Any plans on slimming down the bicep/tricep area in your oxfords? I have pretty average sized biceps/triceps but there seems to be alot of extra fabric there. Similar issue for your new suits, the model 2 was fine in that respect but that area seems to be a bit wider in your new suits.

1 person likes this.
  14. Chris Alex

Chris Alex Member

While we're adding suggestions, it would be great to have more sleeve-length options for the OTR shirts. Love the quality of the Mtm shirts and their value proposition is amazing, but it would be nice to have the option of picking something up OTR if I'm in a pinch. In my case I have a 16.5" collar but my arms are 34.5" so OTR that fits requires me to get the sleeves shortened.

15. Spex

Spex Senior member

Are you talking about the Contemporary or Slim? The Contemp isn't very slim, I agree....but that's why they offer a Slim fit.

This would certainly mean that they would need to increase the price, which is part of the appeal of S&M's OTR shirts.

One potential solution for you is to move the cuff button in so that the sleeve can't slide over your hand. I do understand that some guys might not appreciate the extra sleeve fabric that then gets pushed up the arm, but if you're wearing a jacket this is a non-issue (and actually preferable in order to keep the same amount of cuff showing).

1 person likes this.
  16. mikethewhite

mikethewhite Member

I'm in the middle of going this route, except I'll have the final tailoring done here in Calgary.

I ordered an OTR suit, took a bunch of fit pictures, measurements, etc, then returned it, and placed an MTM order based on that. Obviously the understanding here is that the first attempt won't be perfect, and I'll definitely need to get moderate to substantial additional tailoring done once the suit arrives. I'll feed these adjustments back to S&M for my future MTM orders.

I don't think there's anything wrong with doing this remotely as long as you manage your expectations and are prepared for the investment (time and monetary).

I'm expecting delivery of my first suit next week, so I'll post updates.

17. smsuits

smsuits New Member

Hey SF,

New member here. I took a road trip and visited S&M in person last week and made out with 2 suits, 3 OTR shirts and 3 custom shirts ordered. Got great service from both Michael and Rick and with the BF pricing it was a hell of a deal.

I'm looking for your collective help please in bringing to my tailor's attention all the tweaks that you guys see as needed to my two 38 Slim OTR suits (mid grey sharkskin and heavy blue texture).

Please check out the pics.

I know the sleeves will need to be lengthened and I think the ripples along the top of the back of the blue one need to be addressed. Any other fit comments?

18. Spex

Spex Senior member

^^ I think the fit is quite good for OTR. Perhaps deal with those back ripples, but for my tastes the sleeves are fine. The heavy blue texture suit looks really nice in that light. Congrats on the BF haul.

19. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

What is the lapel size for OTR slim suits? Bought a year ago in case it matters if the width changed.

20. colHolm

colHolm Senior member

3.5" on model 2, but on a bit of a sliding scale based on size and fit to stay proportional.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016