• We would like to welcome Sprezzabox to the Styleforum family as an official Affiliate Vendor! SprezzaBox is a monthly subscription service for men, delivering a unique selection of fashion and lifestyle accessories right to your doorstep.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Saodavi

Reaction score
Pea coat arrived today, quick test fit with just a t-shirt on seems like the right size. The sleeves will need to be shortened but I figured that with a 48.
View attachment 1320092
That looks great. Do you think it will fit well as an overcoat over a suit? It seems more practical to me than the larger polo coat.

Also, how does the color appear to you? It says "black" on the SM website, but it looks more like a charcoal in some photos.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rick mentioned that buttoning point would be proportional to jacket length -- so yes, longer jacket = lower buttoning point.

But I'm wondering if, as an extension of your example, selecting 37L and and then reducing the length to that of a 37R would result in a lower buttoning point than a stock 37R.

I doubt this is the case, but would be good if @spiermackay @SpierTeam could chime in.
That's exactly what I'm trying to achieve.

Amine

Reaction score
Gents, it's that time of year. We're working on FW20 - actually I'm behind a bit with placing fabric orders.

So what would you like to see for FW20

Kindly remember not to post pics of products from other forum affiliates!
I would love to see full canvas double breasted chalk stripes suits in heavier worsted wool or flannel, as well as more rakish colors such as burgundy. Double breasted chesterfields (just plain and simple 6x2 overcoats) with roped shoulders would be lovely :D

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would love to see full canvas double breasted chalk stripes suits in heavier worsted wool or flannel, as well as more rakish colors such as burgundy. Double breasted chesterfields (just plain and simple 6x2 overcoats) with roped shoulders would be lovely :D
Sounds like you would need to go MTO with those requests

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The suits you are requesting can be ordered now via MTO.

pmestrad

Reaction score
Hey Rick, quick question. I have been looking for quite some time for a suit in blue or dark blue windowpane with the windowpane being white or cream colored. Something like the picture here in a linen or linen blend. The only ones I can find are more structured than I would like or have lapels too thin for me. Do you have any fabrics that I could order MTM that are similar to this?

Attachments

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That looks great. Do you think it will fit well as an overcoat over a suit? It seems more practical to me than the larger polo coat.

Also, how does the color appear to you? It says "black" on the SM website, but it looks more like a charcoal in some photos.
I think it would be fine over a suit, I wanted enough room to be able to wear a thick sweater or coat under it and for me this should work. I usually prefer single breasted overcoats and I have one in navy, DB coats seem a bit formal which is fine if that is what you are looking for. I have always like the pea coat design and this is replacing a cheaper solid black one I bought a couple of years ago. I'll try to get some other shots in better lighting but since it's a bit of a Donegal and textured it doesn't come off as a solid black.

I'd say this is pretty accurate:

jcep

Reaction score
To you Spier & Mackay pros, has anyone that commissioned a more structured suit from S&M would be willing to share some photos of his results?

I'm interested in trying them out for some work suits but stereotypical British-style (e.g. structured, roped) suits look best on me and I haven't really seen many examples of this from them so I'm a bit hesitant.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
To you Spier & Mackay pros, has anyone that commissioned a more structured suit from S&M would be willing to share some photos of his results?

I'm interested in trying them out for some work suits but stereotypical British-style (e.g. structured, roped) suits look best on me and I haven't really seen many examples of this from them so I'm a bit hesitant.
This is SF. Shoulder pads don't exist around these parts. Lol. FWIW, I personally am a huge fan of the English style. A strong shoulder and nipped waist in heavy cloth for that suit of armour look.

Any one else around here interested in something like that?

masernaut

Reaction score
This is SF. Shoulder pads don't exist around these parts. Lol. FWIW, I personally am a huge fan of the English style. A strong shoulder and nipped waist in heavy cloth for that suit of armour look.

Any one else around here interested in something like that?
I would be, but for MTM. With my build a soft shoulder RTW is much more forgiving.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hey Rick, quick question. I have been looking for quite some time for a suit in blue or dark blue windowpane with the windowpane being white or cream colored. Something like the picture here in a linen or linen blend. The only ones I can find are more structured than I would like or have lapels too thin for me. Do you have any fabrics that I could order MTM that are similar to this?
I'd have to dig, I'm sure there is something. @SpierTeam can we get on this.

dhizzy123

Reaction score

I have a non MTO with padded shoulder and a MTO on the way with them as well. The shoulder padding is very soft and creates a similar effect to the natural shoulder on an American sack suit from a manufacturer like Southwick or Hickey Freeman. I like it as it doesn’t come across too formal, but still provides some structure to the shoulder, which I think works best on a narrower frame.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 80 17.2%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 151 32.5%
  • 8”

Votes: 136 29.3%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 53 11.4%
  • 9”

Votes: 23 5.0%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 9 1.9%