1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by spiermackay, Mar 14, 2014.

1. MrGimpy

MrGimpy Senior member

A quick dig through the archives seems to have re-activated some sleepy brain cells and I now remember this debate from Nov/Dec 2015 and March 2016.

Was there ever a poll? People seemed to be fairly split on this one. Those who felt that two buttons undone was an acceptable and even preferable look without a tie seemed to favour the offset. I've never felt that look is professional at work (though I am in a traditional industry) so the old button stance was better.

At the time, I didn't feel strongly either way so didn't take part in the debate. But most days at work, I'm business casual and the new button stance doesn't work for that.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  2. jeam3130

jeam3130 Well-Known Member

does S&M ever have stone or khaki colored wool trousers? i know they are less formal, but wondering if they can make them on request or if they ever stock these type of colors

3. Spex

Spex Senior member

I remember the original button height debate, but I didn't own any S&M shirts around that time so I couldn't understand what was being debated.

Now that I have some I understand. I'm also in the camp where I either button up all the way to be worn with a tie, or it's 2 buttons open.

I can't envision in what case you'd only undo the top button. The placement, for one, looks weird as it's not exactly between the other two buttons, and second, it looks too buttoned up even with the top one undone. Strange indeed.

2 people like this.
  4. linds_15

linds_15 Senior member

not positive but the pricing was similar to suits, i think with a mid-tier fabric it would come up to about $800. as far as styling it could be whatever you wanted, shawl or peal, vented or ventless

5. easy_golfing

easy_golfing Senior member

are all of the suits currently listed on the site model 2?

6. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Senior member

Visited Rick this morning.
    New Zegna factory sport coats are superb. Easily the best value out there. Soft structure with a better drape. Fabrics have improved as well. Herringbones are very nice.
    Will certainly be ordering something in a custom custom cloth

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  7. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

Around how much for these?

8. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Senior member

They're online. The jackets with the basting stitch on the lapel button hole are the Zegna Factory.

MTO or MTM Iooking roughly at around 600+ All depending on fabric.

I like the fit on these jackets better then the previous factory for me at least. Softness and proportions are spot on for a sport coat.

I will still MTO or MTM however, mostly because I'd prefer a half inch shorter then The R length.

Brown and blue herringbones are the pick of the crop IMO.

1 person likes this.
  9. spiermackay

spiermackay Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Guys, Re button position. Is there a way to run a poll on this thread?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  10. colHolm

colHolm Senior member

[​IMG]

Since like many have said, this thread needs more pics. Classic navy.

5 people like this.
  11. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

Keep the shirts as is!

12. colHolm

colHolm Senior member

Maybe link to a surveymonkey?

13. MrGimpy

MrGimpy Senior member

I don't know of a way to run a poll on an existing thread. It may be easiest to create a new thread with a poll, and put a link to it in this thread.

14. Beav

Beav Senior member

But what would the purpose of running this poll? Hasn't it already been discussed at length, and they've made a decision on this knowing that with either course of action there will be some who don't like the button stance?

15. linds_15

linds_15 Senior member

anyone get a custom shirt with the thomas mason fabric yet? how does it compare to the standard fabrics?

16. mdubya

mdubya Senior member

Sublime and more than worth it. I think I own close to every TM fabric they offer. Once you get accustomed to the feel of TM fabrics going back to regular 80s shirts feels like you are wearing sandpaper.

17. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

Yes, leave the shirts be.

18. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

I have the old shirts and find the button fine. Not sure how I would feel about the new button position. Hopefully in custom you can choose..

19. gsasso

gsasso Active Member

I've always specified exactly where I want the second button on my custom shirts. Works great.

20. colHolm

colHolm Senior member

Same here.