• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Imperatores

Reaction score
I received my peacoat today, and it's certainly a very nice piece. I am a bit annoyed, though. While the fit isn't bad by any means, it's a fair bit roomier than I expected based on the sizing chart. So I checked the chart again, and it's now completely different from when I made my purchase. If only it was correct at the time of my purchase, I would have sized down. Now the correct size is out of stock, and international returns is something I had hoped to avoid.

JFK-esque

Reaction score

Corduroy neo suit. Love it

mux8

Reaction score
Anyone have a gallery of photos of how S&M shirt collars look in person?

ElliotG

Reaction score
I became an S&M customer because of Rick's transparency. It's really hard to know walking into a department store what kind of suit quality you are getting for $500, $1000, or $1500.

Highest priced, non-tuxedo suit on Macy's website now is a ghastly BOSS Hugo Boss two-piece for $1,395.00.

Full description (on both Macy's and HB websites):

A contemporary take on the two-piece suit, cut to a super-sleek silhouette as part of the BOSS Tailored collection. Created in virgin wool with a refined pattern, this high-performance suit features a fully lined jacket with semi-canvas workmanship for a natural drape and elevated comfort. A softly constructed waistband with an extension adds typical refinement to the expertly crafted trousers.

So from this I know broadly what type of wool was used. But where is it from? I would think that for $1400, they could tell us what mill it's from, it it's relevant and/or impressive. The fact that they don't likely means the fabric is nothing special. At least I know it has "semi-canvas" workmanship. What does that really mean?

For the price there is such little transparency that I would never buy this suit even if I could afford to. Are there $1400 suits that are worth the price? Maybe a MTM or semi-bespoke made in the USA.

vriche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any update from your tailor or S&M customer service?

I saw this article on Permanent Style yesterday and thought of your situation. He mentioned something about forward facing pleats and bunching on the inside of the leg.
The thing is I have other double reverse pleats from other makers and multiple single reverse pleats from S&M and never had an issue. Rick is bringing it up to his tailor, I'm waiting to hear back. Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it to my tailor until next week. I'll update the thread once I hear back from Rick.

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Highest priced, non-tuxedo suit on Macy's website now is a ghastly BOSS Hugo Boss two-piece for $1,395.00.

Full description (on both Macy's and HB websites):

So from this I know broadly what type of wool was used. But where is it from? I would think that for $1400, they could tell us what mill it's from, it it's relevant and/or impressive. The fact that they don't likely means the fabric is nothing special. At least I know it has "semi-canvas" workmanship. What does that really mean?

For the price there is such little transparency that I would never buy this suit even if I could afford to. Are there $1400 suits that are worth the price? Maybe a MTM or semi-bespoke made in the USA.

Are you seriously asking whether there are $1400 suits in existence that are worth the price? Do you really think that there is no level of handcraft, detail, or fabric quality to justify that asking price?

This forum has really fallen off from its glory days.

Torzano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m about to mention another clothing brand but negatively so I think it’s ok. I have a gift card from brooks Brothers I have been trying to use but they have become ****. Spier and Mackay just slays them. All of brooks cotton pants have excessive stretch in them. Their flannel trousers (triple the price of Spier) don’t feel as nice and the fit is a little strange. The outerwear is very expensive and most of it looks no different than any mall brand (banana republic). I even like Spier oxford shirts better. Anyone want to exchange a $100 gift card from brooks for an $80 Spier card? Hahaha. I’ll do it though.

ElliotG

Reaction score
Are you seriously asking whether there are $1400 suits in existence that are worth the price? Do you really think that there is no level of handcraft, detail, or fabric quality to justify that asking price?

This forum has really fallen off from its glory days.

No. I'm stating that price at a department store is not a proxy for quality. Which is what I was trying to get across in my original post, and which @Johnsson reacted to with a quizzical emoji.

Of course there are suits with a "level of handcraft, detail, or fabric quality" to justify $1,400. I'm saying walking into a Macy's or a Nordstrom or a Neiman or a Barneys or a Bergdorf, and assuming that any $1,400 suit on the rack is such an item is not a safe bet.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m about to mention another clothing brand but negatively so I think it’s ok. I have a gift card from brooks Brothers I have been trying to use but they have become ****. Spier and Mackay just slays them. All of brooks cotton pants have excessive stretch in them. Their flannel trousers (triple the price of Spier) don’t feel as nice and the fit is a little strange. The outerwear is very expensive and most of it looks no different than any mall brand (banana republic). I even like Spier oxford shirts better. Anyone want to exchange a $100 gift card from brooks for an $80 Spier card? Hahaha. I’ll do it though.

their pajamas/robes are pricey if you’re paying out of pocket, but if you have a gift card that’s what I would do. I have a set of their flannel and broadcloth and they’re great.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No. I'm stating that price at a department store is not a proxy for quality. Which is what I was trying to get across in my original post, and which @Johnsson reacted to with a quizzical emoji.

Of course there are suits with a "level of handcraft, detail, or fabric quality" to justify $1,400. I'm saying walking into a Macy's or a Nordstrom or a Neiman or a Barneys or a Bergdorf, and assuming that any $1,400 suit on the rack is such an item is not a safe bet.
FWIW, I understood you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads