• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would you stop buying from Spier and Mackay if it was Nike like? :devil:
Awwwww ****, the big guns are out.

Ideally, yes.

Realistically....err probably not. At least not for the next 3 years, no job at the moment.

If/when I get a proper job with a decent income, then I'd likely fully switch to my local tailor who is more expensive, but is still a good value.

nietorpyehw

Reaction score
Agreed, but the shirt collar as depicted in his photos would indicate that it is too large.
Thanks for pointing that out. I have been wearing the wrong size this whole time ?. I’m going to exchange them for 1/2 smaller. I’m just not sure if I should go for the 15.5 in the Extra Slim or go down to the Slim. I’m just afraid that being on the border of the recommenced chest size of 39.5 Extra Slim might be tight. Any advice guys?

CD382C44-E639-44C1-A717-3EC65E7D10E8.jpeg
6D857AE2-4F83-45FB-9A3D-DAF4FD84DF0B.jpeg

Don L

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would say that looks good other than neck size

Ezio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which one? The houndstooth or the check? I had been eyeing one for a distinctive alternative to my DB wool/cashmere overcoat.
Houndstooth. It's super nice. Feels very comfy, looks pretty standout.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's reasonable to expect some kind of heads up from customer service before putting the order through if someone orders the same SKUs for trousers and a jacket.
Eh are you suggesting you expect them to keep track of orders that are placed more than weeks apart? I don't think that's realistic. I think it should be on the customer to speak up if they are expecting it to match something they previously bought.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eh are you suggesting you expect them to keep track of orders that are placed more than weeks apart? I don't think that's realistic. I think it should be on the customer to speak up if they are expecting it to match something they previously bought.
Oops. That's my bad, I completely misunderstood and thought he ordered the jacket and trousers at the same time.

Yeah what I mentioned is not realistic.

How about some kind of disclaimer on the MTO page?

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oops. That's my bad, I completely misunderstood and thought he ordered the jacket and trousers at the same time.

Yeah what I mentioned is not realistic.

How about some kind of disclaimer on the MTO page?
That would really be something if this fabric came from the same roll!

Chris-Wearings

Reaction score
Did anyone have any issues with RTW items ? To suggest factory workers in China /India are not being treated fairly and that's the reason orders are being messed up is quite laughable .S&M started MTO for how long now ? 2 months or less? It could be just quality control issues, which I am sure will improve with some fine tuning as they become stronger player in the market.

Last edited:

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did anyone have any issues with RTW items ? To suggest factory workers in China /India are not being treated fairly and that's the reason orders are being messed up is quite laughable , S&M started MTO for how long now ? 2 months or less? It could be just quality control issues, which I am sure will improve with some fine tuning as they become stronger player in the market.
We have no idea how they're being treated, how would you know if they are?

ElliotG

Reaction score
We have no idea how they're being treated, how would you know if they are?

FWIW, I have no idea how they treat their workers. Rick seems like a decent guy on this forum, so I have no reason to think the workers are treated poorly. My only point in posting earlier was that clothing manufacturing (heck manufacturing in genreal) in east Asia doesn't have the best reputation for providing good working conditions, and S&M is able to offer top-tier fabrics in classic designs, well-made, for Macy's house brand prices (or a little higher). Again, I hope and expect based on the presentation of their forward-facing people that they DO treat their garmet workers well.

Ebichuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doesn't Spier contract with factories - they don't hire and manage workers directly, do they? And if they just work with factories, I doubt they have much influence on treatment of employees. I suppose Spier could vote by taking its business elsewhere but hopefully they work with reputable factories that treat their employees fairly. Rick can hopefully chime in. @spiermackay
Has anyone noticed he's been absent recently? Perhaps scouting for SS20 or FW20 already?! :bounce2:

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I have no idea how they treat their workers. Rick seems like a decent guy on this forum, so I have no reason to think the workers are treated poorly. My only point in posting earlier was that clothing manufacturing (heck manufacturing in genreal) in east Asia doesn't have the best reputation for providing good working conditions, and S&M is able to offer top-tier fabrics in classic designs, well-made, for Macy's house brand prices (or a little higher). Again, I hope and expect based on the presentation of their forward-facing people that they DO treat their garmet workers well.
Worded much better than I could have.

The quality control was just a jumping off point that reminded me that I've been curious about this for a while, especially due to the bolded you mentioned.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads