• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone picked up the green Harris Tweed this season?
just ordered it. I actually have the exact same pattern jacket from a couple years ago, but not as well made (and the S&M includes a lot of details I like)

Was hoping for a flash sale featuring the green Harris tweed or the Amicale and now need to decide! Ugh. Business casual work environment (sales) with mostly light grey, dark grey, navy dress trousers. Amicale seems to fit that scenario better but my gosh that Harris tweed! I don’t have anything like it, feel like it’s more of a classic fabric and better long term, no? Help me decide!
No experience with the Amicale, but Harris Tweed is basically bomb-proof- itll be a very long term purchase. Source: my 1940’s and 50’s HT jackets in my closet that are flawless.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some ups and downs today:

the good- got my gray BG flannel pants and the pants to my peak lapel suit back from the tailor. The flannel is awesome and the suit looks great- both will be worn this week, so pics incoming.

the bad- got my flannel pants for the suit in, not great. Seems overly slim and tight in the waist. I went ahead and ordered a size up (33 contemp) to see if that’s better. The jacketcomes in tomorrow, hopefully the 38L isn’t way too long (first try with the long sizes). Honestly, for how much I wanted this suit, I’m getting super frustrated with trying to get everything nailed down.

The good again (but bad for the wallet)- the sale convinced me to jump on the green Harris Tweed jacket, The details on the herringbone are too good to pass up, so jumping on the green while it’s available.

the also good- it’s cold as b*lls tomorrow and I have to walk around outside, so the herringbone Zanieri polo coat from last year is going to get its first wearing

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just ordered it. I actually have the exact same pattern jacket from a couple years ago, but not as well made (and the S&M includes a lot of details I like)

No experience with the Amicale, but Harris Tweed is basically bomb-proof- itll be a very long term purchase. Source: my 1940’s and 50’s HT jackets in my closet that are flawless.
Seems too bombproof to me.

I don't know how people wear these inside, they're basically outerwear.

The new Zanieri glen check coat is 520gsm, while the gray Harris Tweed sports coat is 500gsm.

Wrenkin

Reaction score
I just think there's a few things off with the pattern: they need some more space in the upper arm, bring in some of the width at the hem (its just too flared right now), and fix the placement of the throat latch... it should be on the backside of the collar to help keep the collar standing up, vs kind of weirdly on the shoulder/neck
Just got my Balmacaan, and see what you're saying. I like the flare, length is good, but I agree that the shoulder / upper arm is a little snug. The throat latch is slightly odd with the collar popped. I'm not sure you could move it to the back though without making it much longer since the idea is that you undo one button and swing it around in front.

I bought the same size as last year's polo coat (38S), as well as a size down (36S). The 36s looked tight through the shoulder. The 38S wasn't as roomy up top as I expected, but unlike last year I can get fit a corduroy or harris tweed jacket underneath. I think going up a size would be too much.

For comparison, in jackets I was a pretty standard 36s but I've gained a little weight lately. Nothing that would affect my shoulder muscles, alas.

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I took advantage of the outerwear flash sale and went for the navy peacoat. Curious to see if it looks and feels as nice in person as it does online. It's surprisingly difficult to find a nice peacoat in my area, so I really hope the fit gods are with me. If not, the import costs and the added headache of international returns could make a man cry. Have you guys posted any cool fit pics of it here yet?
Here’s a good shot of the charcoal peacoat, posted on this thread by @jmacan911

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seems too bombproof to me.

I don't know how people wear these inside, they're basically outerwear.

The new Zanieri glen check coat is 520gsm, while the gray Harris Tweed sports coat is 500gsm.
Personally, I get cold VERY easily, so it’s not too warm for me.

SchachMundialECapital

Reaction score
Same situation for me with the length.

The shrinking is a real pain in the ass. I end up having to replace chinos that are otherwise perfectly wearable because the length ends up 1-2 inches shorter than new.
I pair pants with shrunk inseams with boots only, and never low cut dress shoes or sneakers. I find the aesthetic pleasing, revealing more of the boot, while not looking like hell or high water.

With that being said, I HATE how the chinos shrink in the wash, even with air drying afterwards. Constant across makers, btw. Dockers would be the only positive data point here, actually. But that's before they started adding this stupid stretchy stuff.

Last edited:

chatelet

Reaction score
Any other success stories with MTO? My suit just got shipped today. Anxious to see how it turns out.
Let us know how it goes. I tried but got told (after two weeks) that the fabric was unavailable. Still haven’t managed to decide on an alternative.

vriche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some ups and downs today:

the good- got my gray BG flannel pants and the pants to my peak lapel suit back from the tailor. The flannel is awesome and the suit looks great- both will be worn this week, so pics incoming.

the bad- got my flannel pants for the suit in, not great. Seems overly slim and tight in the waist. I went ahead and ordered a size up (33 contemp) to see if that’s better. The jacketcomes in tomorrow, hopefully the 38L isn’t way too long (first try with the long sizes). Honestly, for how much I wanted this suit, I’m getting super frustrated with trying to get everything nailed down.

The good again (but bad for the wallet)- the sale convinced me to jump on the green Harris Tweed jacket, The details on the herringbone are too good to pass up, so jumping on the green while it’s available.

the also good- it’s cold as b*lls tomorrow and I have to walk around outside, so the herringbone Zanieri polo coat from last year is going to get its first wearing
I received the trousers for the Medium Grey VBC today and noticed that the waist was a little smaller than what I’m used to. I’m a 36 but always buy a 38 since I wear suspenders but on these trousers, I can wear them without suspenders it seems like. I didn’t notice that the legs were any slimmer though.

nqtri

Reaction score
Let us know how it goes. I tried but got told (after two weeks) that the fabric was unavailable. Still haven’t managed to decide on an alternative.
Hoping my minor tweaks and my complete lack of tailoring technique knowledge won't destroy each other. :box:

Last edited:

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 30 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 143 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 269 32.7%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 130 15.8%