1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by spiermackay, Mar 14, 2014.

1. spiermackay

spiermackay Senior member Affiliate Vendor

They have arrived. Just unboxing, getting the inventory on them and photos. Should be this week online ready to go.

They are on our pattern block. The slim are pretty much exact. The contemporary on this delivery have a waist that is +1.25 cm larger total on the pieces we checked, with the rest identical. So a touch larger at the waist.

2. Spex

Spex Senior member

I've been looking for blue and pink striped fabrics for custom shirts that would be a bit heavier than most broadcloth, for FW dress shirts with jacket and tie.

Would the brushed oxford cloths be too casual and flannel-y for a spread collar shirt? I've been waiting to see if any such striped fabric appear in pinpoint, which might be ideal for my use.

Some true oxford cloths are dressy enough for my use, such as the white cloth that BB used to use a few years ago for their white OCBDs (who know, they might still use the same cloth).

Perhaps the brushing won't be such a big deal. Kamakura makes cashmere cotton and flannel dress shirts:

Cashmere Cotton:
    http://shop.shirt.co.jp/shop/e/emcashmer/?sl_1007tp01

Flannel:
    http://shop.shirt.co.jp/shop/e/emflannel/?sl_1007m03

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  3. chiggyv

chiggyv Senior member

I'm in desperate need of some shirts, been holding out for the new cloth since August. Based on the new custom fabrics I'm hoping to get the following OTR:

Green Ruggers Check
    Red Ruggers Check
    Bedford Light Blue Small Check
    Charcoal Melange
    Rust and Blue Melange Check
    Bleecker Slate Blue Melange (is this Denim/Chambray?)
    Navy Double Check
    Burgundy Stripe Oxford

Just curious what others are leaning towards? Rick which of these will be available OTR?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  4. spiermackay

All will be available OTR.

5. spiermackay

The brushing is minimal. More like a peach fuzz.

6. chiggyv

chiggyv Senior member

Haha Exactly what my wallet was hoping not to hear.

Thanks, Rick.

7. The Dirk

The Dirk Member

@SPIER & MACKAY I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on that new brushed wool Navy suit you have, but before I do, I have two questions(sorry if you've answered these before).

1. Is the lapel width on the new jackets still 3.5 inches?

2. What's the difference between regular wool, and brushed wool? is it just an added touch of texture?

thanks for your time and help,
    Dirk

8. burgerkong

burgerkong Senior member

Hey Rick, any chance of revamping the suit/garment bags? I think the free Suit Supply bag is fantastic but I can't find it elsewhere and no offense, miles ahead of the one you guys currently use.

1 person likes this.
  9. Notreknip

Notreknip Senior member

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
  10. gs77

gs77 Senior member

You mean the SuSu one that folds with zippers into a kind of normal bag? That is awesomely useful.

1 person likes this.
  11. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

That's pretty standard actually. All the tailors I went to in Seoul used them (varying quality of bag).

12. spiermackay

It's not something that we're looking into at the moment. The point is to protect the garment and the one we currently use is plenty sufficient to do that job. Don't forget SS charges more for its suits on average, is operating at a significantly larger scale and able to purchase these bags for significantly less than we can.

You have to remember, the bag you get from SS for free is not really free. You are paying for it as part of your suit purchase.

Sorry, point is we can make a better suit bag but it will cost more and we are not in a position to absorb that cost.

6 people like this.
  13. spiermackay

Lapels are the same as before.

Brushed wool is a worsted wool with the surface lifted to create a softer, lofty feel. It also wears warmer as it creates more air pockets to trap air. It's similar to flannel but a bit denser and less lofty. It's a great cool weather fabric. The colour is outstanding.

14. Odd I/O

Odd I/O Senior member

Will all your MTM's be coming out of the new factory?

Do you have a tailor at your downtown location to take my measurements for MTM?

15. spiermackay

All MTM's since July 1st are from the new factory and they have been coming out incredible. I won't hesitate for a second to say the quality far exceeds anything in the city at a similar price and is at least on par with anything 2x the price.

We do have trained staff at the downtown location as well as an onsite tailor.

16. jeam3130

jeam3130 Well-Known Member

Hey rick,

what price does your MTM suiting start at? also, do you make MTM trousers with it?

17. spiermackay

Custom starts at $650 for basic house cloths (Navy, Black, Gray, etc.) and go up from there. All are half canvas. Full canvas can be added for $150.

18. jeam3130

jeam3130 Well-Known Member

thanks, and to clarify, do you make MTM trousers with the jacket? i have an insanely difficult time finding well-fitting trousers

19. spiermackay

Certainly. It's part of the suit.

20. SnowSwat

SnowSwat Member

Any plans to re-stock the Navy hopsack sportcoat?