1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by spiermackay, Mar 14, 2014.

1. spiermackay

spiermackay Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Question for those of you that picked up the tobacco herringbone in either the trousers or suit.

The Mill has 7 colour variants of this cloth available. We are thinking about picking up 5-6 colours for odd trosuers for spring/summer. These are Wool/Linen.

Would this be a good fabric to run? I'm partial to them. I have a pair on my desk right now that I think would be excellent. The herringbone adds a great visual texture without going overboard. They register fairly solid for a distance, but the texture really shows up close.

Thoughts?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  2. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Senior member

What colours, get swatches if you can. Maybe a good pre-order Sportcoat opportunity. Although I'd love to see more solids/textures in your coat offerings. Too many herringbones.

1 person likes this.
  3. ScofieldReturns

ScofieldReturns Senior member

Talked myself into ordering the herringbone cashmere/wool in blue since, even if i have to return it (first one's free)...i have to know my s&m size for future reference right? But i'll prolly keep it anyway...

EDIT: got the last 36s!

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  4. rdepuit

rdepuit Member

I may have missed it earlier in the thread -- but any chance of Long sizes coming out in the new sportcoats?

5. Chambertin

Chambertin Senior member

I have that suit, love it, but I don't think I'd buy it in another colour, except as a suit. I'm looking for my solid or check patterns in sport coats.

6. Burke

Burke Well-Known Member

Rick
    For the new Sportcoats I don't see a slim version of the navy tonal check.
    Is there a slim version available?

Also what is the difference in sleeve width and armhole size between a 38 slim and a 38 regular?

7. spiermackay

No Longs. Same deal as the first group. Not enough cloth.

As an odd trousers. Not looking to get this done up as sportcoats for S/S.

No. Only was able to get 70 metres of cloth. Enough to make only 35 Jackets. Armhole/Sleeve is about 0.5" larger.

8. Chambertin

Chambertin Senior member

I'd have to see it, but I don't think so? I haven't worn the pants as separates, but that's mostly because I can't help thing of suits as suits and rarely break them up.

9. 02///M3

02///M3 Senior member

For the new suit preorder, can we still use the notes to request a different size trouser than what is paired with the jacket as a default?

10. spiermackay

Yes sir.

11. linsk

linsk Member

How much is trouser length alterations if we choose to pick-up the suit instore and can we request it be done before we pick it up?

12. Notreknip

Notreknip Senior member

I think a great set of sportcoats would've been the flannel fabrics from the recent trouser run - especially the green and the mid-blue. In my opinion, your current/past sportcoats have been a bit "stiff", "shiny", and "suity" for the relative softness of the styling.

Oh and, I agree, I'm herringboned out.

When I was recently at the warehouse location, I came across a pair of black/white houndstooth trousers that was made from a beautifully soft and textured fabric. I think the SF crew would be very happy to see more fabrics of that sort - visual interest without the self-stripe effect that fine herringbones sometimes provide.

I have a feeling that textured navy hopsack sportcoat will fly off the shelves. I'm eager to see it myself!

13. spiermackay

For reference these are the fabrics I'm speaking of for odd s/s trousers in wool/linen.

[​IMG]

14. spiermackay

Good feedback. I can agree with what you're saying. We learn more as we go.

15. chiggyv

chiggyv Senior member

I'm a relative new-comer to S&M. Can anyone comment on the quality and sizing on older shirts?

Cosidering this and this as part of my next order. Currently own slim oxfords from the latest batch and love them.

16. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

I have the first shirt in your link. Quality is fine. However, this is a summer shirt only. And interestingly enough its slimmer than all my other SM shirts. I don't wear an undershirt with it.

17. redbeardedmike

redbeardedmike Active Member

I'd love a sportcoat in that green, though.

18. losrockets

losrockets Senior member

As others have said, not as odd trousers. And I'm also all herringboned out! Agree wholeheartedly with the above poster who talked about softer, less formal/shiny fabrics for your SC collection. I would have loved your navy flannel windowpane suit as a SC w/ patch pockets, your olive/forest green wool trousers as a solid SC, or that same color with a chunky orange windowpane also as a SC.

1 person likes this.
  19. Spex

Spex Senior member

I think the tan, navy and (is that last one) grey would work as either trousers, but maybe even better as sport coats. Perhaps the light blue.

I think part of the problem for me is that as much as I might like a pair of nicely cut and creased trousers in a fabric like this, I've decided that it's a bit too casual for my day-to-day office wear, but on the other hand, too dressy for my casual wear. It's something I would wear on Fridays to the office in the summer, though.

1 person likes this.
  20. spiermackay

Good feedback. It's one of the reasons I ask these questions here.

As a side to this what odd trousers and sportcoats do you want to see for spring/summer?