• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi S&Mc...

With your MTM shirts, can I request unfused linings on collars, plackets, and cuffs? I like the styling and selection of fabrics.

Jay

Spex

Reaction score

Hi S&Mc...

With your MTM shirts, can I request unfused linings on collars, plackets, and cuffs? I like the styling and selection of fabrics.

Jay

Yes, I did this with my S&M MTM shirts.

cloud82

Reaction score
Will the downtown store be open soon? If I buy some polos online now, can I swap them at the Toronto St location if the fit is off? Cheers.

PS: Do you guys have fabric swatches in store for your custom shirts? As mentioned previously by some of us, it's hard to tell from the online photos how wide or narrow the stripes are on the striped fabrics.

They do have fabric swatches in the store. (at least I've seen them at Mississauga location)

Lancaster

Reaction score
What's the difference between the rib collar and the shirt collars on the polos?

Ebichuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What's the difference between the rib collar and the shirt collars on the polos?

Not sure if serious: one collar is ribbed (traditional polo style) and the other isn't. They also differ slightly in shape, as you can see in the pictures.

Lancaster

Reaction score

Not sure if serious: one collar is ribbed (traditional polo style) and the other isn't. They also differ slightly in shape, as you can see in the pictures.

Thanks. I actually was serious. The different shape is plane enough to see but I am not sure what the difference is between ribbed and not ribbed.....

Ebichuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks. I actually was serious. The different shape is plane enough to see but I am not sure what the difference is between ribbed and not ribbed.....

If you ever owned a polo shirt it most likely had a ribbed collar, sort of like mini corduroy ribs, but stretchy. If you zoom in on a picture of the collar on S&M side you can see the ribs run perpendicular to the full length of the collar. The shirt collar will have the same material and texture as the body of the shirt.

Spex

Reaction score

I'm assuming that you're asking not what the physical difference is (which you can see) but the stylistic difference, and why someone would have a preference for one over the other. The shirt style collar is somewhat dressier and should look less floppy than the ribbed. Also, watch this video from Sven Raphael Schneider:

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Will the downtown store be open soon? If I buy some polos online now, can I swap them at the Toronto St location if the fit is off? Cheers.

PS: Do you guys have fabric swatches in store for your custom shirts? As mentioned previously by some of us, it's hard to tell from the online photos how wide or narrow the stripes are on the striped fabrics.

Yes to everything we hope to have a soft opening first week of May. Contractors said everything will be one by Wednesday. Fingers crossed.

thefastlife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

two questions:

1. how's the rise on the chinos? i hate when shirts come untucked b/c chinos sit way too low.

2. how are the oxfords and what size/style should i go with? my measurements are 16.5x35 and i am athletic (weight lifter) but certainly not slim. to give you an idea, the size L in Uniqlo slim fit is way too tight, but their XL is slightly too baggy. LE tailored fit is way too baggy.

thanks!

Anyone?

Spex

Reaction score

Why don't you measure the shirts you own and compare them to the dimensions provided on S&M's site? This is what I did when ordering customer. I basically measured every shirt I owned, thought about which fit best in each aspect (neck, chest, waist, etc) and took it from there.

Lancaster

Reaction score
@ebichuman and @spex thank you for your explaining this. I really appreciate it.

A.Rhyming.Ape

Reaction score

Sounds like. I'm similar to you at ~41/30/15.5 and didn't love any of the OTR sizes. The good news is that the MTM price is really not much more than taking an OTR shirt for alterations, and it opens the door to customizations.
Custom would ideally be my preferred way to go, but my level of inexperience with measuring makes me think I'll just end up creating some kind of Frankenstein shirt. Do you just buy OTR and get all your shirts altered?
Yeah custom would be the way to go, unless you want to put some darts in a contemporary (but the extra cost to do so would justify just going custom). I am a 41" chest and 34" waist and this is a 15.5 contemporary on me, the new Ocean Blue oxford. Sorry for the wrinkles, was ironed when I left the house I swear lol.
Thanks for reply Burz. If you are also a 41" chest that confirms my thoughts that the Slim fit would be too tight across the chest, the contemporary fits you great. I like the way that shirt looks for casual wear, un-tucked (oxfords and madras) but if it were a tucked in dress shirt for the office I would get too much excess fabric. Sucks cus my work wardrobe is in need of a overhaul and I'm 90% sure that I want to go with S&M but I don't particularly want to get have to get 12-15 dress shirts taken in at the waist.

Last edited:

Johnsson

Reaction score

Custom would ideally be my preferred way to go, but my level of inexperience with measuring makes me think I'll just end up creating some kind of Frankenstein shirt. Do you just buy OTR and get all your shirts altered?

I used to, but now I stick to MTM most of the time. It's not just for the sizing, but for the options too. I do go OTR for really exceptional stuff though.

afterthesuit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn, I missed some of the shirts I wanted in 17 contemporary. You guys are getting too popular.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads