• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's going on with the website?

"CGI-limits reached, please try again later!"

A.Rhyming.Ape

Reaction score
What sizing would you recommend for dress shirts for someone with a 41" chest and 31" waist and 15.5 neck? Is custom sizing the way to go?

I am unsure about going with your Slim Fit and having the chest be too tight vs going with the Contemporary fit and having too much fabric along the midsection.

All the shirts I own now (Brooks Bros. Milano fit, Jcrew, Bonobos) pull across the 2nd and 3rd button on the chest, but the midsection is too large and I have to get the sides taken in.

Johnsson

Reaction score
What sizing would you recommend for dress shirts for someone with a 41" chest and 31" waist and 15.5 neck? Is custom sizing the way to go?

I am unsure about going with your Slim Fit and having the chest be too tight vs going with the Contemporary fit and having too much fabric along the midsection.

All the shirts I own now (Brooks Bros. Milano fit, Jcrew, Bonobos) pull across the 2nd and 3rd button on the chest, but the midsection is too large and I have to get the sides taken in.

Sounds like. I'm similar to you at ~41/30/15.5 and didn't love any of the OTR sizes. The good news is that the MTM price is really not much more than taking an OTR shirt for alterations, and it opens the door to customizations.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah custom would be the way to go, unless you want to put some darts in a contemporary (but the extra cost to do so would justify just going custom). I am a 41" chest and 34" waist and this is a 15.5 contemporary on me, the new Ocean Blue oxford. Sorry for the wrinkles, was ironed when I left the house I swear lol.

Last edited:

5thav

Reaction score

Just received this medium gray size 38 contemporary suit. Not very confident in the fit, but would love to get others opinions. The side on view you can see some strange behavior in the sleeves.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Just received this medium gray size 38 contemporary suit. Not very confident in the fit, but would love to get others opinions. The side on view you can see some strange behavior in the sleeves.

From the front everything looks fairly clean. A good fit.

From the back, it looks like your shoulders are back a bit. This is causing the excess fabric between your shoulder blades and the fabric at the back sides. A tailor can take this in pretty easily to clean it up.

From the side, the wrinkles are caused because of the sleeve pitch, which is affected by the back position of your shoulders.

What brands do you wear that you feel have a good fit OTR without alterations?

5thav

Reaction score
From the front everything looks fairly clean. A good fit.

What brands do you wear that you feel have a good fit OTR without alterations?
Thanks for the comments. I wear a Bonobos and Banana Republic Tailor Fit jacket that fit quite well OTR. J Crew Ludlow is also decent. Trying them on now, I see a tiny bit of wrinkling in the arms, but not nearly as much as this S&M jacket. You think a tailor would be able to make it perfect? Is there any reason to try out the Slim Fit suit instead?

The sleeves are also a tiny bit shorter on this jacket than my others, though I think this may be ok.

Last edited:

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments. I wear a Bonobos and Banana Republic Tailor Fit jacket that fit quite well OTR. J Crew Ludlow is also decent. Trying them on now, I see a tiny bit of wrinkling in the arms, but not nearly as much as this S&M jacket. You think a tailor would be able to make it perfect? Is there any reason to try out the Slim Fit suit instead?

I know our shoulders are not as built up as those brands, and thus not as forgiving. A good tailor will be able to tidy that up quite easily though. Do you know your chest and waist body measurements? I can advise if the slim will work based on those two measurements.

lbrig

Reaction score
Got a couple of the brushed oxfords in 16 contemporary fit. The chest area fits well, but the taper to the waist and sweep is snug. Not sure if I should go up to 16.5 or 17.

Also, do I need to get an RMA number before sending the size 16 shirts from the US?

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Got a couple of the brushed oxfords in 16 contemporary fit. The chest area fits well, but the taper to the waist and sweep is snug. Not sure if I should go up to 16.5 or 17.

Also, do I need to get an RMA number before sending the size 16 shirts from the US?

I would suggest a 16.5, it's not a huge difference in size, but give a bit extra room overall, without a big difference from the 16. The 17 will be a significant difference.

Yes, just send a quick email to [email protected] to get the RA#, they have to be aware of the return so it doesn't get lost in the warehouse when it's returned.

lbrig

Reaction score
Got it, thanks. Sent the email last night, but just wanted to make sure. Hopefully the 16.5 works out!

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

The New Polos are up. Pics are temporary, but colours are pretty accurate. We are releasing them on SF first.

http://www.spierandmackay.com/polos

Fit is pretty much the same as the previous polos. Shrinkage is controlled to less than 3%. Did a wash test with the whites in hot water and hot dryer. If you don't want any shrinkage, cool water/hang to dry and shrinkage is close to zero.

The fabric on these is pretty incredible. Better than we were expecting. The body and drape are unlike any polo we've seen or felt before.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads