1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by spiermackay, Mar 14, 2014.

1. dappercanadian

dappercanadian Senior member

I think Isaia has the summer SC category on lock, I'd look to them for colour/pattern inspiration.

2. dazedstate

dazedstate Senior member

Pure linen would thrill me. Unlined of course.

1 person likes this.
  3. jamie411

jamie411 Senior member

Mid-blue, light green, and brown checks in linen or linen blend for jackets. Light or Unpadded shoulders, minimal lining.

A navy windowpane suit.

4. literasyme

literasyme Senior member

Any kind of linen blend without silk would be great, pure linen (perhaps an Irish Linen) would be lovely. And anything in a linen/cotton/tropical wool fabric with a not-too-loud plaid.

5. Lancaster

Lancaster Senior member

I agree. I'd also like to see a linen silk offering.

6. Kevin24

Kevin24 Well-Known Member

I had a couple of quick questions about Spier & McKay.

1) Where is most of Spier & McKay's stuff made?

2) How does anyone like the quality?

Ask as I'm thinking of getting some trousers from them but I am leery given the price.

Thanks for the replies!

7. gs77

gs77 Senior member

Why not silk?

8. literasyme

literasyme Senior member

Partly personal preference -- I don't love the shininess. But it also wears warm. It's one of the paradoxes of cloth making that summer suitings often are silk blends, even though silk is not an especially breathable fabric -- or so I'm told, at least.

9. gs77

gs77 Senior member

Depends. Can be made perfectly breathable, even at 100% silk. Correct terminilogy escapes me, as English is not my native language.
    As for shininess, same thing, depends on the processing.

But what is special is how it drapes, and feels.

Only drawback is, you don't want to get wet in it (stay away from rain).

10. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

Can't go wrong with fresco.

I would also look at Zegna mainline designs for inspiration. They nail the classic look every time, 50% of the time.

1 person likes this.
  11. spiermackay

spiermackay Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Suit or sportcoat?

12. bogo

bogo Member

Rick,

Any classic cuts for shirts and suits on the horizon?

13. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Senior member

Next town you visit the factory. Any chance with the new "Zegna" factory that they have ends of bolts available you could buy the left over stock. And run an MTM special (like your cloth overage) for sport coats and suits? I'd love to see some Asian market Zegna bought cloths and what that factory might have.

14. CMAc7

CMAc7 Senior member

For sport coats, I would like to see branching out into more patterns, particularly windowpane and gun check. I know it wasn't a big seller, but one of my favorite items of yours that I own was this check sport coat from a few seasons back:

[​IMG]

There are only so many blue and brown sport coats a guy can buy. (At least without igniting the full fury of the wife.) I like that the above jacket still has navy and browns for versatility, but added in the burnt orange color for a nice pop of unusual color. I would like to see some sport coats in this vein, but maybe bringing in another more rare color like olive, burgundy, ocher, etc. as a "pop" color. As an example, a Google search pulled this up from the "Articles of Style" blog/shop:

[​IMG]

I like this from SS too:

[​IMG]

I dunno, just "a guy who has the basics covered" thinking aloud. I get that producing something too "out there" can mean getting stuck with overstock, but maybe a small run in a fabric with a little more personality is doable.

One more thing, I think that using a lighter button shade on the spring/summer sport coats could be cool. I know SS does this on their lighter colored jackets and it gives a cool look.

2 people like this.
  15. Darkside

Darkside Senior member

^Those examples are all less than desirable. I am all for gunclub though.

I think you should nail down some staple fabrics that have done well in the field that you can repeat. This goes for shirts and suits. For example, your fabled camel and light gray flannel pants that are very popular around here. I feel like there is too much variety to make an informed decision for online buyers.

2 people like this.
  16. literasyme

literasyme Senior member

For me, sport coat. Not much of a suit guy. I'd love to see more offerings in the cut of the hopsack coat, which looks great in the images.

17. Ebichuman

Ebichuman Senior member

Really? I'd snatch them up quickly (I actually own the coat in the first pic). Again, just like @CMAc7 I have my basics covered, and then some. To each his own, though, I suppose.

I agree on having a permanent collection of staples ready. S&M is too much of a hit or miss still. For example, the "fabled" pants you're referring to were, imho, substandard as far as fabric goes. (Rick is promising better, richer flannels for fall!)

1 person likes this.
  18. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

I agree with @Darkside, except for perhaps the last one.

A simpler and darker guncheck would be better than that first example. Both features would make it easier to wear, key in a small collection from a small retailer.

The second is similarly too light or too gray, with gray being the most common color for pants. And though I like single breasted peak lapel jackets, those are probably best reserved for stores with large offerings.

In terms of fabrics for odd jackets, I think SM will be well served focusing on texture and interesting hue, keeping patterns simple. I don't recall ever seeing a tweed jacket from them, which is a little surprising. A simple donegal would also be nice. Patterns like houndstooth work particularly nicely with fabrics that have at least a little bit of texture.

I think it is great they're going to do a 3r2 RTW. Brooks Brothers has established that as an RTW staple. Double breasted is nice too, albeit riskier. From what I understand, S&M has had a lot of freedom in their designs when working with their old factory and has taken advantage of this; I hope they're finding the same freedom in the new factory.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
    3 people like this.
  19. varsityreds0123

varsityreds0123 Senior member

I'd love to see a simple houndstooth pattern jacket/suit.

20. losrockets

losrockets Senior member

I'm looking forward to the rest of the samples for fall fabrics. I like big bold patterns rather than small repeating things or very CBD stuff like tonal glen plaids in my sportcoats, as I've got those kind of covered/they bore me. This often requires a step up in price though, but eHaberdasher is an example of another small company that's able to source some pretty great stuff at similar prices.