• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think linen needs a button down to anchor it down to the shirt. The big semi-spread collars would require you to line the collar and make it heavier, which would defeat the purpose of a casual, warm weather shirt.

Last edited:

Spex

Reaction score
Question about linen shirts.

Do you prefer them with a button collar or Semi/Full Spread Collars?

Button down collar, as I consider them casual. If you manage to get some linen/cotton blends I would consider making a spread collar dress shirt from it, though.

I have this Kamakura linen button-down and I think the collar's pretty good, not too floppy. I could bring it by the downtown store once it opens, as I live close by, and you can perform an analysis if you want, if it results in some sort of discount on the final product!
mwink[1].gif

http://shop.shirt.co.jp/shop/g/gLC970722L/

Last edited:

fieldofdreams

Reaction score
Button down collar, as I consider them casual. If you manage to get some linen/cotton blends I would consider making a spread collar dress shirt from it, though.

I have this Kamakura linen button-down and I think the collar's pretty good, not too floppy. I could bring it by the downtown store once it opens, as I live close by, and you can perform an analysis if you want, if it results in some sort of discount on the final product!
mwink%5B1%5D.gif

I love Kamakura linen BDs.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

mwink%5B1%5D.gif

I love Kamakura linen BDs.

Yeah that shirt looks great

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Returned it but it was this one: http://www.spierandmackay.com/product_information/3703_navy_soft_casual_chambray I think the pocket also felt bigger to me. It's not a spier and mackay thing, I just can't pull it off in general, maybe it's my build or something but whether I've tried from JCrew or S&M these sorts of shirts don't look right on me.

See, I'm probably in the minority here, but I actually like the two pockets and the fact that it wasn't a button down collar. Both features keep the chambray more casual, which I think compliments the fabric better. It was actually a nice medium between an OCBD style dress shirt and a chambray work shirt.

I fear that a single pocket and the buttondown would make it look a little too much like an office mullet. Again, just my two cents. And no matter which way S&M goes, I'm probably buying one regardless.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
This will most probably be the collar for the 100% Irish Linen shirts. We're leaning to Button Down Collar, Front Placket, Left Chest Diamond Pocket, Rounded Cuffs and No Pleats.

Last question: Do we cut them shorter to wear untucked?

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rick, are you able to source any bleeding Madras fabrics?

Could be a neat one to do as maybe a preorder or to throw in the custom section.

This will most probably be the collar for the 100% Irish Linen shirts. We're leaning to Button Down Collar, Front Placket, Left Chest Diamond Pocket, Rounded Cuffs and No Pleats.

That is amazing. All the details sound fantastic too. I would not cut them shorter, in the 15.5 contemporary I found the new oxfords easily wearable tucked or untucked at the current length. I wear all my 16 Slim madras untucked as well with no issue.

Last edited:

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Rick, are you able to source any bleeding Madras fabrics?

Could be a neat one to do as maybe a preorder or to throw in the custom section.

We are actually talking to a bleeding madras producer at the moment. Don't think it would happen for this season though. By the time we get it to market the summer will be over. Most probably for an early run next year. Like delivery for late March.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We are actually talking to a bleeding madras producer at the moment. Don't think it would happen for this season though. By the time we get it to market the summer will be over. Most probably for an early run next year. Like delivery for late March.

I was thinking next Spring too, I still need to grab a few of the upcoming madras already so no rush haha.

A few pics of untucked shirts, I like the lengths. The 16 slim pink and also the blue madras shunk up a little less in the length and are a bit longer compared to the other two I own. I do like the length of the 15.5 contemporary untucked too.

Last edited:

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Love it, I'd leave the length as-is, the OCBDs are cut short enough for most folks, IMO. Will you be taking preorders on the linen shirts?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads