1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by spiermackay, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Stylish Dinosaur

That's definitely me. Unless it's oppressively hot I feel naked in shirtsleeves. But sometimes a sweater will do in place of a sport coat, so there is that. I mean, you just toss it on. No big deal.

2. BestCoast

BestCoast Member

Same breast pocket issue here.

3. drfwtx

drfwtx Senior Member

Same here.

4. saskatoonjay

saskatoonjay Senior Member

Me too with my new green VBC. I can’t do my favourite Don Draper fold in that little pocket.

First world problem.

5. Aloysius16

Aloysius16 Senior Member

Has anyone here had a tailor alter the sleevecap on an S&M sport coat to get rid of the ‘puffy’ excess fabric near the shoulder seam. Lots of photos seem to show this issue and it’s particularly bad on mine. I don’t mind losing the shirring in order to slim the top of the sleeve if that helps.

6. whirlwynds

whirlwynds Well-Known Member

It’s possible. But make sure you have a really good tailor. Lots that can go wrong.

7. dluce76

dluce76 Senior Member

I took a jacket to a not really good tailor for this. Didn't turn out well. Really make sure they're good.

8. DFWWingnut

DFWWingnut Senior Member

My current austin goto’s include emmer and rye and Justine’s.

9. Aloysius16

Aloysius16 Senior Member

What was attempted and what went wrong?

10. dluce76

dluce76 Senior Member

To similarly take out some of the fabric at the top of the sleeve head. The spalla wasn't quite right on one jacket (not worth sending back) in that it was one big poof of fabric, and the arm hole was a bit smaller than other jackets so there was also a divot, worse on one side.

The tailor tried to fold in the fabric but ended up taking from the front chest piece instead which reduced the front chest size - this also happens to be the hardest part of jackets for me to find that fit. We ultimately had to let out the center back seam to allow the shoulders to rotate somewhat forward, and add some shoulder padding because the soft shoulder no longer worked after the alterations.

It's serviceable (he did his best to correct it for free) but would not try it with that tailor again.

11. Aloysius16

Aloysius16 Senior Member

Thanks for the explanation. I’ll see what my tailor suggests. I don’t know if the issue has been discussed on this thread previously, but one of the guys from S&M did tell me that the sleevecap was made bigger than intended by the manufacturer so it is a ‘known issue’. I like the jacket a lot apart from a really overdone ‘naples’ look with an excessively large sleeve at the top.

12. cunning47

cunning47 Senior Member

I'll admit to not keeping pace with the thread, but has there been a recent update on the S&M briefcase v1? Any expected timing?

@spiermackay

13. saskatoonjay

saskatoonjay Senior Member

Rick said this Jan 15:

14. SoundBrewer

SoundBrewer Member

I’m also curious about this...

15. Andrew Carkhuff

Andrew Carkhuff Senior Member

Just snagged a grey donegal jacket on eBay, will be my first item from S&M. Excited to get it in!