• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

oucheebooboo

Reaction score
Has anyone tried both contemporary and slim in the same size and found the difference to be negligible in terms of sizing? Fit, I understand there are difference but I am talking about sizing.

I was talking about SCs. Sorry.
Not sure I understand the implied distinctions in your reference to measurements vs sizing, but I currently have in my possession a 38 slim and contemporary in blue flannel that I'm deciding between.

While I am the poster child for all that is lithe, lissom, and sylplike, my tailor and I decided that we both prefer contemporary on me. (I've previously always worn slim from S&M. My faves for cut would be the new Neos.)

Not a great deal of difference when looking at measurements only. The fuller chest, waist, trimness of arm and armscye is where you notice it most (with a bit more length). I am also long of torso, and bony of chest; yet, still increasingly prefer a bit of drape and fullness that the contemporary provides.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just picked it up from the tailor on Monday, so today was the first day I wore it. I am a lawyer, a founder of multiple startups, and a professor and I'm 43 years old. Today I had meetings via Skype with a startup in Qatar, I managed my associates and employees in my office, went to another law firm to meet with the CEO and CFO about merging practices, and then came home and played Fortnite with my 6 year old.

Unless you work in a conservative business dress environment (and who does?), you can wear it anywhere.

Why not conservative business dress if you're the boss?

Ezio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really wish I’d gotten this suit but to date I still can’t figure out when I’d wear it (not that it’s much of an option for me now) but out of curiosity, what occasions have you worn it to? Feel free to throw in details about age and work formality levels if you like. Also this is an open question for anyone wearing the number of great casual suits on offer at S&M.

I'm 29, manage my family company, don't wear it at work since I'm dealing with building material distribution and construction firms pretty regularly.

I've worn it to date night, networking events/evening functions at the art gallery or hotels, weddings, architect/designer/clientcmeets, stuff that. Anything dressy, outside of the office or site visits.

I've got the olive cord suit and the Donegal light grey suit.

SM casual suits are pretty versatile, at least on the west coast where things aren't that formal anyway.

dluce76

Reaction score
CANNOT DECIDE!!! Been staring at the screen the entire day!

View attachment 1108112
I have both. They serve different purposes.

The Drago is lighter, both in color and in weight. It can probably be worn well into the spring and can start in early fall. Because of the shade of blue, it is less formal. I swapped the buttons for light brown horn and actually really love the look now.

The vbc is darker and heavier. I have the suit but wear it as a blazer too. I know some have said it has a purple hue but mine does not. It's not neo styled, which to me is a negative, but I needed a Navy winter suit.

For more formal needs, the vbc is better. If you have cold winter's, the vbc is better unless you layer cardigans in which case the drago will work (I don't, so in Boston I prefer the vbc right now with these frigid temps). That said, I greatly prefer the neo style and thus the drago.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the suggestions. Please forgive my naivete (or actual ignorance). While I DO know how to send a PM I have no idea how to "tag him"? (He definitely should be "it" at this stage. Actually, he MAY have seen this, as I heard from the company today....unfortunately, just one day after the return deadline has passed....Hmmm....)

Hopefully there's still hope for me, or you all will see a few nice "sold out" items on the B&S forum soon. All with tags and unworn.
Like so
@spiermackay
But do send him a PM

theedoor

Reaction score
Stupid question that I hope people know: if I have an 15.5 RTW slim shirt with no stated sleeve length, the sleeve length was 35.

But with the new shirts that have specific sleeve lengths, the 15.5x35 would measure 35.5?

CollingsD2H

Reaction score
Drago, it is. Took way too long and it's just solid plain vanilla navy/blue SC. But everybody needs one or two...or more.

Thank you all for your feedback.

Your order has been received.
Thank you
for your purchase!

Your order # is: xxxxxxxxxxxx

You will receive an order confirmation email with details of your order and a link to track its progress.

Last edited:

ULCajun

Reaction score
For anyone with AE experience- I’m trying to reconcile my new trousers to my shoe inventory (pretty much all AE). Which AE colors work with the light gray fresco and medium gray sharkskin suit?

Walnut (light gray/both?)
Brown (light gray?)
Dark chili (both?)

feelufo

Reaction score
For anyone with AE experience- I’m trying to reconcile my new trousers to my shoe inventory (pretty much all AE). Which AE colors work with the light gray fresco and medium gray sharkskin suit?

Walnut (light gray/both?)
Brown (light gray?)
Dark chili (both?)
Walnut - light gray
Brown - both
Dark chili - both

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why not conservative business dress if you're the boss?

Some days I wear conservative business dress, some days I wear more casual tailored clothing, some days I wear jeans and a t-shirt. I wear whatever mood strikes me each day that makes sense in the context of my schedule. Likewise, my employees wear whatever is most comfortable to them each day.

Identity Crisis

Reaction score
I have both. They serve different purposes.

The Drago is lighter, both in color and in weight. It can probably be worn well into the spring and can start in early fall. Because of the shade of blue, it is less formal. I swapped the buttons for light brown horn and actually really love the look now.

The vbc is darker and heavier. I have the suit but wear it as a blazer too. I know some have said it has a purple hue but mine does not. It's not neo styled, which to me is a negative, but I needed a Navy winter suit.

For more formal needs, the vbc is better. If you have cold winter's, the vbc is better unless you layer cardigans in which case the drago will work (I don't, so in Boston I prefer the vbc right now with these frigid temps). That said, I greatly prefer the neo style and thus the drago.

Id love to see a pic of the buttons on your drago, I have it too and would be interested in doing that

Queequeg

Reaction score
I'm a 29" waist and a 35" chest so everything needs alterations and even still I don't love the way things look. Dying for any news on the the MTM program...*cough* @spiermackay

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Green Tweed 40S Contemp and the Guncheck 40R Concep are still available, bois.

feelufo

Reaction score
@spiermackay
I want to give a shout out to some of the employees at SM. I've made well over 20 orders this season as I've done some work to my wardrobe after going up chest sizes. I've had to return and exchange orders but the crew at SM has made the whole process as easy as possible for me and been of great assistance. Choosing to add most of my new additions from Canada when I'm in the States was initially a concern but my emails have always been promptly answered and the wait for shipping never too long.

Shout out to Sherry, Amar, and John for some of the names I see assisting me in my emails frequently.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads