1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by spiermackay, Mar 14, 2014.

1. facet

facet Senior member

I'd second that idea as well. When I went to the kamakura store in NY, they had the same for all their dress shirts which I find really helpful in figuring out the best size for me.

2. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

That's smart. Did they have shrunken version of each shirt in each color? Amazingly, I've found consistent differences in shrinkage based on the color of BB supima OCBD's - it's a pisser.

3. fieldofdreams

fieldofdreams Senior member

I'd also like to know.

4. dappercanadian

dappercanadian Senior member

From my PMs with Rick earlier this year:

"We plan on peacoats and single breast overcoats in a thick, heavy weight melton. Going to keep it simple with Black, Navy and Gray. They will be in for winter this year and we're trying to keep them under $400 as best as possible"

5. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Senior member

I'm really lusting after a badass heavy wool coat for this winter... Will likely break the bank (for my tax bracket) on a Schneider, LBM, Eidos, etc...

Wool overcoats are probably the most worn items in my wardrobe. Time to get serious.

BUT I could be swayed on a heavy wool POW, windowpane, tweed, or check pattern. I always have loved overcoats with pattern or texture.

6. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

Wow that's great news. I was in the market for a peacoat this past winter but couldn't find something I liked enough to pull the trigger. Quality and fit were all over the map at places I was checking out.

7. spiermackay

spiermackay Senior member Affiliate Vendor

What's your order number, I'll have my shipping dept. look into it.

We are starting slowly. Crazy heavy melton wool peacoat, that's a bit more "dressy" looking than a traditional peacoat. In the same fabric a more casual looking Duffle Coat and topcoat.

We have shirts open as well in shop to try on.

No sportcoats for SS. But a bunch slated for FW.

Huddersfield/Gladson is sending me their overcoat books for fall. Lots of nice stuff in there.

8. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

9. styleman999

styleman999 New Member

Will there be any grand opening specials?

10. facet

facet Senior member

Not each colour, but each size. I can't remember if they were put in the dryer as well but they were all washed several times for sure and, I believe, were supposed to represent what shrinkage the shirt would end up with.

11. hangar

hangar New Member

Rick,

I have several 38 slims in trousers but your last few batches were limited to contemporary cuts. I was looking at the sizing charts and the 36 contemporary trousers look pretty close to the 38 slims. Do you think there enough cloth to take out the waist to get a close fit to the 38 slims?

12. tdotdot

tdotdot New Member

Hi Rick,

I'm interested in working part time at your new location. However, I'm only available on Saturdays (I work a 9-5). Could you let me know if that's acceptable? Thanks.

I'm really excited about your new store. It's right behind my condo!

13. spiermackay

We're going to start cutting 38 Slims again in the next round of trousers. In the meantime, the waist we can let out 1 3/4" usually pretty comfortably.

Sent you a PM.

14. MrGimpy

MrGimpy Senior member

Thanks for responding, guys. A pea coat would be lovely, but it's probably not what I need right now. Still, I'll keep an eye on these. A nice pea coat for under $400 would be hard to resist.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  15. Notreknip

Notreknip Senior member

I'll admit I've been a bit of a Luxire snob in recent years, BUT I really want S&M to thrive and I'm happy to help that happen. To this point I hadn't tried S&M shirts; I have well-fitting trousers and sport coats from S&M. A suit is planned for the near future.

Today I received an assortment of shirts to try. Here are my thoughts for whatever they are worth.

Styling, etc:

Light Blue Linen - absolutely beautiful
    Indigo Linen - quite saturated indeed but very useful in a casual context
    Light Blue Brushed Oxford - really great, especially considering the price; so far it feels better than the standard "sky blue oxford" from Luxire (of which I have at least a week's worth in slightly different iterations)
    Navy Polo with Shirt Collar - so fantastic that I might buy a few more
    Marine Blue Polo with Shirt Collar - decent colour, as expected; I quite like the "shirt collar" but with a hidden button down it could be even better

Fit: (6',172lbs, 40R, basically as average as one can be)

16 Contemporary - much too big but worth the try considering I'm pretty good with the sewing machine and a lot is sold out in smaller sizes; I'll be returning these
    16 Slim - works very well for OTR
    15.5 Contemporary - incredibly similar to the 16 Slim (I spent 5 minutes measuring to find only minuscule differences through the body)
    Medium Polo - perfect, assuming negligible laundering changes
    Large Polo - definitely wearable and not as much of a deviation from the Medium as I would've expected; I put it in the warm wash as an experiment and it may see the dryer for a few minutes in the future just for fun

Overall, I'm really really impressed - especially considering the prices and ease of ordering considering I'm in Canada.

I'm looking forward to the madras and more linen! After one round of golf and a wash cycle I'm going to load up on polos.

Rick, I'd really love a Light Blue Linen in 16S or 15.5C. Can you please find us some more before it is Winter again?

2 people like this.
  16. An Acute Style

An Acute Style Senior member

Back from vacation and got my new S&M shirts. Pics later.

The linens are nice. I really like the collars on the oxfords. The collars on the linens seem a bit different, but still good. The fit is the same. All of my S&M shirts have a good amount of excess fabric at the back armpit. Anyone else notice that?

I also picked up the purple bengal stripe full spread. The pattern is very bold. Love the collar. This is my third full spread collar shirt. I look forward to wearing it this spring. I wish it had french cuffs rather than button cuffs.

S&M, I'm finding that the oxfords are a bit warm. I won't be able to wear them in the spring and summer. Any plans for doing a pinpoint oxford?

17. CMAc7

CMAc7 Senior member

I purchased the purple bengal stripe too. Agreed on the collar. It is fantastic. They did a premium giza OTR pinpoint oxford run about 12-15 months ago in blue, mauve and I want to say white? By the time I discovered the brand and pulled the trigger on my first shirt order, they only had the blue left. I have to say it might still be my favorite shirt after adding another 15 from S&M since. I hope that Rick is able to source that fabric again in the future.

1 person likes this.
  18. aglose

aglose Senior member

Does any one have their last polo offering and can comment on sizing between the old version and the new version? Specifically the ribbed collar version, if it matters. I was a medium in their old polos, and it was definitely fitted, but not too tight. If the new mediums are any smaller, they would definitely be too small.

19. facet

facet Senior member

Say Rick

Do you know how your washed khakis compare in fit to dockers and jcrew? I'm currently wearing 33 waist (my dockers D1 are my best fitting right now) and was interested in ordering some since summer is coming up but not familiar with the fit of yours.

20. spiermackay

A restock is under production right now. Should have it in May.

Collars on the linen are unfused compared to the oxfored which is fused. That would be the difference.

The excess fabric is usually attributed to a larger armhole. Do you find the bicep to be a bit large as well as they are related.

The oxford cloth is brushed, so it has a tendency to run a bit warm. That was our first batch, we're looking to reduce the amount of brushing on the next go. Pinpoint we can get readily. We have some in stock for our custom program, but if there is a quick demand we can transfer that to OTR and get product in by next month, but quantity would be limited.

That giza OTR was the same pinpoint I was talking about above. We can probably do a very small run right away.

Same fit/specs.

I can't directly compare, but if you take measurements off the khakis you have, you can compare them to our size charts online.

1 person likes this.