• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Torzano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This, not many options for jodhpur boots out there for below $500. At least that's my experience when I was looking for one pair.
I was just kidding. I don’t like this style shoe and it is so far out of the mainstream I don’t think spier and mackay would even consider it.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My Boxing Day Haul arrived last night. Am I wearing as much of it as I can this morning? You bet!
B34547CC-19E9-443B-8551-BA045B749994.jpeg

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rick, long time lurker here. Unfortunately, joining the forum in an attempt to reach out to your company. I'm having an awful time with a lack of communication re: a return. Can you pm me? I'd appreciate some help.
Shoot him a PM. Or tag him in your post.

Aloysius16

Reaction score
What are opinions on the default collar for custom Oxford button-down shirts? I have a semi-spread which i like but is pretty stiff. I would want the OCBD to be much softer but still stand to attention under a jacket. Is the default BD custom collar softer, or would I need to request a change?

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
What are opinions on the default collar for custom Oxford button-down shirts? I have a semi-spread which i like but is pretty stiff. I would want the OCBD to be much softer but still stand to attention under a jacket. Is the default BD custom collar softer, or would I need to request a change?

The Semi Spread will soften with washing/wearing. We purposely use a little stiffer interlining so that it stands up over repeated washings.

The OCBD is much softer by default.

CollingsD2H

Reaction score
Has anyone tried both contemporary and slim in the same size and found the difference to be negligible in terms of sizing? Fit, I understand there are difference but I am talking about sizing.

I was talking about SCs. Sorry.

Last edited:

drfwtx

Reaction score
Has anyone tried both contemporary and slim in the same size and found the difference to be negligible in terms of sizing? Fit, I understand there are difference but I am talking about sizing.
I prefer 16x34 in slim shirts, but have found 15.5 in contemporary to be an option if my standard size is out and it's a must have. Just did that with the dark rinse denim shirt and while the neck is a little tight, I'd probably never wear a tie anyways and the body fits me fine. And you can also compare the differences in measurements to get a feel for what to expect and see if it's worth making the jump for you.

feelufo

Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand the question. Are you asking if the same size... is the same size? I have tried both the contemporary and slim in 36R and find the slim better fitting for my slim body. The larger chest and lower armholes on contemporary are definitely noticeable on my slim figure (I wear extra slim on OTR SM shirts). I feel like I could wear either but the contemporary would require more tailoring for my ideal fit.

I've also tried a 38R slim and while it is close to a 36R contemporary, I could definitely tell it was a 38R and not 36R.

Raw

Reaction score
I wear a 36 and there is a clear cut difference between the two fits. The chest alone has 1”+ of extra room going from the slim to contemporary. From what I understand it as you get into the larger sizes the variance between the two gets to be minimal.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand the question. Are you asking if the same size... is the same size? I have tried both the contemporary and slim in 36R and find the slim better fitting for my slim body. The larger chest and lower armholes on contemporary are definitely noticeable on my slim figure (I wear extra slim on OTR SM shirts). I feel like I could wear either but the contemporary would require more tailoring for my ideal fit.

I've also tried a 38R slim and while it is close to a 36R contemporary, I could definitely tell it was a 38R and not 36R.

I'm having a different dilemma. On some 36 Slim I can still button the jacket but not all. Wondering if I should go 36 Comtemporary which would fix the chest / waist issue but the lower armhole may not be as flattering.

CollingsD2H

Reaction score
Sorry, I was talking about SCs in general. I want a navy flannel SC but only slim 42 is left. I was told by a gentleman at Spier and MacKay that I should wear a contemporary 42 and so I did. Last time I tried my 42 contemporary, it felt a bit boxy. I was in a hurry so I would need to double check.

Thilgela

Reaction score
Is it possible to specify inseam length and cuff options for dress/casual trouser orders by adding the notes similar to switch out belt loops for side adjuster? @spiermackay.

Really don't want to go to the tailors every time I buy a new pair of trousers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads