1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by spiermackay, Mar 14, 2014.

1. James1051

James1051 Distinguished Member

Someone asked recently how dark is the navy corduroy?

427F4D27-8359-4978-89A3-9BCACF42B817.jpeg

A: very

2. Aloysius16

Aloysius16 Senior Member

What are opinions on the default collar for custom Oxford button-down shirts? I have a semi-spread which i like but is pretty stiff. I would want the OCBD to be much softer but still stand to attention under a jacket. Is the default BD custom collar softer, or would I need to request a change?

3. spiermackay

spiermackay Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

The Semi Spread will soften with washing/wearing. We purposely use a little stiffer interlining so that it stands up over repeated washings.

The OCBD is much softer by default.

4. CollingsD2H

CollingsD2H Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried both contemporary and slim in the same size and found the difference to be negligible in terms of sizing? Fit, I understand there are difference but I am talking about sizing.

I was talking about SCs. Sorry.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019

5. drfwtx

drfwtx Senior Member

I prefer 16x34 in slim shirts, but have found 15.5 in contemporary to be an option if my standard size is out and it's a must have. Just did that with the dark rinse denim shirt and while the neck is a little tight, I'd probably never wear a tie anyways and the body fits me fine. And you can also compare the differences in measurements to get a feel for what to expect and see if it's worth making the jump for you.

6. feelufo

feelufo Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I understand the question. Are you asking if the same size... is the same size? I have tried both the contemporary and slim in 36R and find the slim better fitting for my slim body. The larger chest and lower armholes on contemporary are definitely noticeable on my slim figure (I wear extra slim on OTR SM shirts). I feel like I could wear either but the contemporary would require more tailoring for my ideal fit.

I've also tried a 38R slim and while it is close to a 36R contemporary, I could definitely tell it was a 38R and not 36R.

7. Raw

Raw Well-Known Member

I wear a 36 and there is a clear cut difference between the two fits. The chest alone has 1”+ of extra room going from the slim to contemporary. From what I understand it as you get into the larger sizes the variance between the two gets to be minimal.

8. Riva

Riva Distinguished Member

I'm having a different dilemma. On some 36 Slim I can still button the jacket but not all. Wondering if I should go 36 Comtemporary which would fix the chest / waist issue but the lower armhole may not be as flattering.

9. CollingsD2H

CollingsD2H Well-Known Member

Sorry, I was talking about SCs in general. I want a navy flannel SC but only slim 42 is left. I was told by a gentleman at Spier and MacKay that I should wear a contemporary 42 and so I did. Last time I tried my 42 contemporary, it felt a bit boxy. I was in a hurry so I would need to double check.

10. Kangnamstyles

Kangnamstyles Well-Known Member

D4B7494F-8C1C-40DC-B870-E611CA80CA63.jpeg DBC6BEF3-AAFE-424A-9E33-41E17D397801.jpeg Playing with multiple textures, patterns, fabrics, colors, and shadows today. Teal POW, navy turtleneck, and green donegal trousers from S&M.

11. Thilgela

Thilgela Senior Member

Is it possible to specify inseam length and cuff options for dress/casual trouser orders by adding the notes similar to switch out belt loops for side adjuster? @spiermackay.

Really don't want to go to the tailors every time I buy a new pair of trousers.

12. mossrockss

mossrockss Distinguished Member

i have four pairs of size 34 contemporary trousers—3 in flannel, one in cotton-linen. 2 of the flannels fit about the same, and one is a bit looser (actually a little more comfortable for me). the cotton linen feels like it's got a lower rise to me.
    there's always a tolerance for QC

13. Don L

Don L Distinguished Member

40AC5793-4022-4AAC-A049-F46F38199585.jpeg 39F76AD3-C36E-4218-B2F6-4B885ACD670B.jpeg 447200C5-43D4-4861-B4BB-AFD122ADAE3B.jpeg Brown Bottoli Donegal and Turtleneck

14. JustinW

JustinW Distinguished Member

I noticed a pretty significant difference in the taper of my 2017 moleskins in 32Contemp versus the four pairs of 32Contep tweed and flannel I bought this year. I'm not complaining though - I like the extra taper.

15. Patrick R

Patrick R Distinguished Member