1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by spiermackay, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

It's worth remembering that it was determined that these were madder-like rather than actual madder. David Hober contributed some useful information on that point in the original GMTO thread.

Just for the record.

Cheers,

Ac

2. Ebichuman

Ebichuman Senior member

3. scatterbrain

scatterbrain Senior member

On Toronto Street. Just off King, (between Church and Yonge). I will literally be walking by there every day on my way to and from work. Dangerously convenient...

1 person likes this.
  4. 02///M3

02///M3 Senior member

Like the ancient madder suggestions. Would also be into repp stripe and block stripe. Any intention of doing longer/wide ties (say 60-62" and 3.5-2.75")? Either way, sounds exciting.

5. Darkside

Darkside Senior member

Anyone have photos of S&M ties and the knots they make? After doing heavy tie research, buying, and selling, of many SF-approved (and unapproved brands) I've found that the quality of the interlining is as important as the fabric itself in terms of discerning the quality of the tie. Chipp ties have a thick, coarse interlining which makes achieving a good knot that stays put somewhat difficult.

6. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

Well, he asked for "really great" suggestions. Ancient madder is really great. There are certainly others.

1 person likes this.
  7. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Senior member

@spiermackay

Just thought I might chime in this (nice) discussion about tie fabric.

It has been mentioned that Rick would like to try and keep the price per tie relatively affordable. Thus, I think expecting S&M to produce ties similar to Drake's, Sam Hober, Vanda, Capelli, etc., is pretty irrealistic. Unless of course you guys were giving these tie makers as example of nice designs and fabric type, then of course I could understand as I like a nice ancient madder just as much as everyone else.

But, and there's a but, to my knowledge (which is quite limited in this field, I agree) Chipp's ancient madder are the cheapest of the cheapest (in term of price) and still around 65-70$. Which could simply means that real ancient madder is a costly material to acquire. This could probably means that it would be hard for Rick to please us guys on SF requesting Drake's like ties at the 40-60$ mark.

I know The Tie Bar is not a really respected (or appreciated) brand on here, but if Rick wants to put out some affordable ties with accessible fabrics, might as well give him examples of what we find nice that is accessible at relatively low price.

There are a couple of ties on The Tie Bar that look nice and have decent fabric design. Mind you, we're strictly speaking about looks, not quality of fabric and construction.

Here are a few examples I like, and could be sourced, produced and offered by S&M at a fair price for their customers. Basic staple ties should include some kind of gun club check, like this or this, some type of POW checks like this one, a couple of printed medallion or ancient madder-like fabric, like this, this, this or this. Maybe a matte, dusty paisley like this one, for the amateur of the genre. Note that the former ties are mostly made of wool, and not silk. I guess a dusty, matte silk could work, provided it is absolutely not shiny.

Then there's the usual summer ties in cotton (very small scale gingham, seersucker, etc.) and breezy linens in solids/no patterns.

Only then, when the basics are covered for their walk-in clients buying a shirt and needing a cheap tie to pair with, they can go and source better, nicer fabrics and raising construction quality to provide better, more expensive ties for us nerds. Until then, I understand Rick's reservations about sourcing and producing expensive ties when, for the same money, people will usually just go and buy from our usual suppliers of such ties.

Just my two cents.

EDIT* damnit, just rechecked my tex for typost and it appears all the links I provided redirect to The Tie Bar homepage. Heading to work now but will try to edit tomorrow morning when I leave the hospital.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  8. dappercanadian

dappercanadian Senior member

Oh, just to clarify, for the Drake's ties that I posted, I wasn't expecting him to replicate their quality for a cheaper price. Just inspiration for what types of designs to implement for silk prints.

1 person likes this.
  9. MSchapiro

MSchapiro Senior member

I think one could pretty easily provided a drakes inspired tie at that price point. Sure you won't get the exact quality of material or made in England designation, but you could prob get 80% of the way there for a fraction of the price.

I think what Drakes has done best lately though is textured ties. I think E. Marinella is the best inspiration for printed silk.

10. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Now that I reread what I posted, it was supposed to be a note on AM prices then some color examples but not meant to be madder only. I will have to look into that thread though.

11. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

Same.

12. UserNameToronto

UserNameToronto Senior member

Toronto Street?! :slayer:

1 person likes this.
  13. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Senior member

This I like from The Tie Bar: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Their linen solids are also worth a shot: [​IMG] [​IMG] And their «grenafaux» line is a nice option for those unable to fork out the dollars to buy real grenadine: [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. MrGimpy

MrGimpy Senior member

Oh, this is fantastic. It's a nice little street and I happen to work a short hop over on Victoria Street.

15. doodledoc

doodledoc Senior member

[​IMG]

Here's a chipp ancient madder that I got custom made from Paul (3.5'' at the widest). This was when it was price at $50. Even at $67.50, it's great. I am unsure if Rick can't match this quality at such a low price.

16. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Senior member

Did'nt know Chipp could make custom orders. I like his ties, but not the width. I'd rather have 3.5". Plus the fact that all the ones I like are already sold out.

17. SouthOfBloor

SouthOfBloor Member

Looking for some advice from those here who have bought an OCBD, what size did you find fits best relative to your regular OTR dress shirt size. I've ordered the 15 slim fit dress shirts and those fit relatively well. If I'm looking at picking up an OCBD and/or Madras and planning to wear casual/untucked how much should I size up from my regular dress shirt size, I was thinking of sizing up from 15 slim to either 15.5 slim, 16 slim, or 15.5 contemporary for the OCBD. What have you guys found works best?

Also this is my first post on the forum but I've been following this thread for a while and just want to give a shout-out to the guys at S&M, I'm loving all your products so far and can't wait to see the new releases this spring/summer. So far I've ordered an OTR 38 slim fit suit and love the fit, I plan on ordering another one in the next week (and I would order more if I could afford it at the moment), this is the best quality for value and best fitting OTR suit I've ever found, the slim fit pants are great compared to every other make I've tried where the slim fit pants come with too low a rise. Living in Toronto I've had a tough time finding good value dress clothes and you guys are doing a great job filling that need, like everyone else here I can't wait for the downtown store to open so I can try some MTM stuff out (I don't trust myself to measure). Sorry for going on a rant here but just wanted to get all that out there lol

Cheers

18. aiur55

aiur55 Member

I just go with the normal size I order for everything else OTR from spier and mackay. I believe the OCBD is slightly shorter to compensate for being worn untucked.

19. winghus

winghus Senior member

Paul will do it for orders of 6 ties or more. AAAC had a couple of GMTOs last year for grenadines and madders.

1 person likes this.
  20. losrockets

losrockets Senior member

Here's hoping you drop the linen OTR stuff before I leave for a month's vacation in SE Asia next Sunday and have only intermittent internet access!

1 person likes this.