1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by spiermackay, Mar 14, 2014.

1. spiermackay

spiermackay Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Yes, but it still is going to be based on our Model 2. We can adjust the measurements to as close as possible to the jacket to replicate it.

2. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

Ancient madder?

3. spiermackay

spiermackay Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Any particular designs or colour combinations?

I talked to our supplier, they are willing to knock down the quantity for printed ties as a trial run. So I want to make sure the designs we release are winners.

4. Caustic Man

I like the kind of diamonds and medallions that Drakes does. I'd be all about some burnt umber, green, and light blue combinations.

1 person likes this.
  5. Caustic Man

I love these.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  6. dappercanadian

dappercanadian Senior member

Ditto on the Drake's inspiration.

These look great
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. Chambertin

Chambertin Senior member

I like the above, but the medallion/flowers are a bit too big. I prefer this:
    [​IMG]

I love the style of Marinella Napoli ties. Their foulards are perfect, and so are their stripe ties. I'd love that style at a lower price.

5 people like this.
  8. Caustic Man

Those patterns are a bit too small for me. I'd just as soon go with a pin-dot before something like that. To each their own, though.

1 person likes this.
  9. dappercanadian

dappercanadian Senior member

3rd from left is perfect imo.

1 person likes this.
  10. Spex

Spex Senior member

Note that if you are into the traditional ancient matter style ties, they have a very specific surface texture/sheen to them and simply replicating a printed pattern won't have the same effect.

It was the first thing that came to mind for me as well, since I can't think of any other printed patterns I really like, and even still, I'm not completely sure that ancient madder ties are for me. I'm sure that most non-igent/non-menswear aficionados think they look frumpy and old-mannish.

1 person likes this.
  11. Spex

Spex Senior member

Oh yeah, this is a great suggestion...forgot about foulards. Probably your best best if you can make these types of ties with the right colors and a more matte surface.

12. Caustic Man

I don't think I agree. Ancient madder has a certain pop to it when you use contrasting colors that is quite rakish and, I believe, does not at all read "old-mannish". Perhaps repp stripes read more old to me, but I like those too.

13. Ebichuman

Ebichuman Senior member

Note that Spex is speaking about the world outside of SF. I think he made excellent points, both the limited appeal and difficulty in getting the madder right. Some foulards are a safer bet for the first run or two.

14. Caustic Man

I'm speaking about the world outside SF too. When I think "old" I definitely don't think about vibrant colors, which ancient madder certainly often is.

15. Spex

Spex Senior member

Don't get me wrong, I really like how a lot of AM ties look, however I've never seen anyone my age or younger (I'm not really that young...born in the 70s), wearing one, at least not in my city. To me they are more trad and classic, while younger guys tend to favor a more modern look.

I think the foulard patterns presented would sell more easily at S&M than a faux ancient madder, but who knows. I think Rick would be a better judge now that he has seen these examples.

16. Caustic Man

Ok, that might be true. I would think that it has more to do with cost and availability than the look of it, though.

17. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Chipp upped the price on their Madder ties to $67.50 so Madder could be hard to pull off for S&M prices. These are the SF approved options for the Panta x SF tie drop on Massdrop

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Ebichuman

Ebichuman Senior member

Our definitions of ancient madder may be different; I tend to think of the colours as "dusty" and subdued and while they can have some intensity, I'd say that vibrant is departure from the norm.

But anyway, I think they are just a bit too risky for Rick to try on the first pass but he will ultimately make the call, of course. (And if he comes up with kick ass ancient madders or foulards or repps I'll be there to grab a few, heck, I'll even grab a silk matka if he's got one)

1 person likes this.
  19. Spex

Spex Senior member

BTW - does this mean the wait is almost over? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8 people like this.
  20. losrockets

losrockets Senior member

Are block stripes still on the table, Rick?