SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by spiermackay, Mar 14, 2014.

1. fieldofdreams

fieldofdreams Senior member

You must not have read about the baby being found buried alive in Compton last week. At least I hope not. If reading what I read was worse than reading about that, then I must be a pretty bad person.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015

2. Shad0w4life

Shad0w4life Member

Statements like his don't belong on a forum for dressing well when someone might read it as actual sound advice when it's hogwash. There's absolutely a need for french cuffs and if more guys paid attention to how their suits fit there wouldn't be so many "how to dress" websites popping up.

Not to mention he's telling the only Canadian store I purchase from to "Why bother sell french cuffs"...because suit sleeves are designed around fitting them, and some people like them just like some people don't like oxford fabric, or button down collars.

3. fieldofdreams

I asked them if they sell well. Obviously there are people, like you, that buy them. I was just curious if they sell many. From what I see on SF, instagram, and IRL not many people wear them. If you look around SF, you'll find that french cuffs are a rarity here. I see you're very passionate on your opinion, and I don't want to change you opinion. I just have my own, and it is very different than yours.

I'll add that, in my office, only my boss wears them. In my opinion, here in Los Angeles, they come of as somewhat pretentious and are reserved for people in charge or bankers. Every once in a while I'll see someone wearing one without a suit, which is a silly to me.

Also, isn't the reason all the websites are popping up because more guys care now than ever? If no one cared there would be no point for the websites. The websites are actually there for those how do in fact care. They might not be knowledgeable, but they care.

4. spiermackay

spiermackay Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

@fieldofdreams @Shad0w4life points made gentlemen. Let's not derail this thread.

To sum up, we do sell french cuffs OTR, not a huge quantity, but there is a healthy demand for them for a select group who seek them out.

5. fieldofdreams

Sorry about that.

I was wanting to ask, will you guys be releasing linen button downs this summer. I have a couple Kamakura linen button downs. The problem is they're not done in OCBD style. They don't have the chest pockets or box pleat. I would basically love to have some LCBDs. I bet there are some others that would be interested in that as well.

6. zinc2162

zinc2162 Senior member

Re: Heavyweight vs Mid weight flannel
    While I prefer heavyweight, I don't think it is a deal breaker if they are mid weight. I think what's more important for me is the fit, how well the trousers drape and what kind of colour/pattern they are in. I have both mid and heavy weight from EP and HY and I wear them throughout winter. If there is a more economical option, I am all for it.

7. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

Since you asked for opinions on the flannel. I think mid weight would be ideal as we all work in an office and not outside doing construction.

I don't sit at my desk all day, I'm usually up and about so I would think people would get hot?

But you COULD possibly do runs for both weights?

8. Shad0w4life

Shad0w4life Member

:D

9. Darkside

Darkside Senior member

10. fieldofdreams

I must say that I feel a little bit silly for engaging in this now

@spiermackay apologies, but about those linen button downs....

11. spiermackay

We will be doing a group of Linen Button downs. We will expand our linen offering over last year as the program was a huge success for us.

Both might be tricky and expensive. We still have plenty of time to decide. Like LOTS of time.

12. fieldofdreams

Will you be doing them like OCBDs with the chest pocket and the box pleats? This is referring to linen bds.

13. spiermackay

We haven't decided on that just yet. But as we will be doing a group as more of casual linen, most probably.

14. SeaJen

SeaJen Senior member

Another vote for heavy flannel.
    Also, any chance of getting it in light gray?

15. fieldofdreams

exactly what i had in mind. a light gray heavy flannel is right up my alley.

EDIT: Right up my alley means it would be perfect for me. Not sure if you guys use the same idioms up there.