1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by spiermackay, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Lancaster

Lancaster Senior member

Looking forward to the linen. That lavender coller is pure dankity.

2. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

@Darkside

Thanks! I ordered three, two full spread and one extreme. I think I might get two full and one semi. If the semi looks as good in person as it does in your pictures, I may stick with semi-going forward. I hate when collar points are visible; this is the major reason I prefer spread.

Are those fused or unfused, by the way?

---

S&M,

Is it possible to lengthen the collar by half a centimeter or so just to ensure the collar points rest firmly under the jacket lapels?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  3. spiermackay

spiermackay Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Sure. No problem. Just relay your requests to info@spierandmackay.com and quote your order number.

We can change pretty much any aspect of the shirt. Patterns are drafted from scratch, not off a pre-existing pattern block.

4. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

I put mine in the dryer, they shrunk up and fit well now when they were a little big to begin. Some colors shrunk more than other tbh, the Aqua and the Pink only shrunk a bit in the length but the Red & Teal shrunk up quite a bit more. I think maybe the fabric weave is going a different direction between the styles.

Aqua, Pink, and Navy & Green: Probably shrunk between 1"-.1.5" in body length
    Red & Teal: Maybe around 1.5"-2" in body length (very rough guesses on both)

I hang dry them now as I am happy with the fit on all of them.

Here is how they all basically looked on me new, 16 Slims. (wearing 15.5 Contemporary now in the new oxfords)

[​IMG]

And the Red & Teal now, shortest of the bunch.

[​IMG]

5. bism416

bism416 Member

So much good stuff going on these days. I really like the madras shirt that I got last summer, if anyone is on the fence about it you should definitely get one (new collar looks amazing).

I am anxiously waiting for those uni stripe ocdb's.

The MTM suit offer is also really tempting but I can't quite convince myself to do it having never tried on a S&M jacket before.

6. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Senior member

Really looking forward to Linen and linen/cotton MTM fabrics. Keep us posted Rick, anymore colours coming aside from what you posted?

I've got some great ideas in mind.

7. AntiHero84

AntiHero84 Senior member

This was exactly my thought - to throw them in the dryer once to get a little shrinkage and then line dry afterward. Still seems a little dangerous, maybe I'll just live with it.

8. cloud82

cloud82 Active Member

Madras look good~
    (waiting for my custom Madras...)

9. spiermackay

Just received a new shipment of OTR shirts today.

Got these two great textures that came out pretty great.

Grey Melange and An interesting Blue Linen look one. Should be up online early next week.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. An Acute Style

An Acute Style Senior member

I gave my new custom shirt a wear today. I'm still troubled by the excess fabric at the front armpit, the lines around the shoulder blades in the back, and the excess fabric in the back in general. Any recommendations to clean that up some? Are the shoulders too wide? Does the collar have too much roll? Thanks for your thoughts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. scatterbrain

scatterbrain Senior member

I'll let Rick offer the advice regarding fit. I agree there seems to be too much excess fabric at the back. Darts, maybe?

Regarding roll, I think the roll on that looks great, albeit a little extreme. It's a personal preference thing, though. I assume you've seen the thread where roll is discussed at length: http://www.styleforum.net/t/165024/the-ocbd-collar-roll-thread/0_60

12. spiermackay

Shoulders and chest are a touch wide and shoulder needs to slope a tiny bit more. I'll forward these pics to my pattern maker and get his feedback as well. If you could pm me your actual body waist and hip measurements that would be helpful to solve the excess at the waist.

13. CMAc7

CMAc7 Senior member

@spiermackay

Is emailing info@spierandmackay.com still the best way to order through the SF MTM special? I sent an email yesterday and haven't heard anything so I just want to make sure I did it correctly.

Also, have you ran through any of the fabrics yet? Fingers crossed on the light gray and gray flannel POW...

14. spiermackay

It is. Can you PM me your email address that you used?

Light gray I have plenty of. The grey check flannel I think we're down to just 3 or 4 suit lenghts, but I'll have to confirm that in the morning.

15. CMAc7

CMAc7 Senior member

PM sent. Thanks again for the excellent service!

16. Lancaster

Lancaster Senior member

Rick, I like the way the texture looks on these new shirts. I also like texture in ties. While I agree with the gentlemen who commented earlier regarding shiny ties, the reason for my dislike is the lack of textural interest. This is an old Donna Karan Signature tie I picked up when I was a kid that is no longer wearable but I keep around because of the glorious texture. Subtle, understated and fun to look at. [​IMG]

17. fieldofdreams

fieldofdreams Senior member

I'll chime in on the tie issue. I know you guys are a value/cost leader. I think even if you kept the price point at $60 USD per tie, people would still consider that a steal if you had good fabrics. Berg and Berg uses really nice fabric and keeps the price at about $75 USD, which many consider to be a very good price (myself included). If you could use similar fabrics at even $10 cheaper per tie, that would be excellent.

1 person likes this.
  18. llamaone

llamaone Senior member

Really, you consider Berg and Berg ties a good deal? I just can't agree with that, when you can get a bespoke Sam Hober tie for the same price (or $5-$10 more depending on fabric) made to your exact specifications and with the best care, construction, and materials in the world. And there's more to a quality tie than the primary fabric; just as important is the quality of the interlining. Often, a cheap material is used in order to save money. But a high quality wool lining is essential for a good knot as well as the longevity of the tie and its ability to retain its shape and prevent wrinkling.

19. fieldofdreams

fieldofdreams Senior member

I'm okay with you not agreeing. Thanks for your input.

20. llamaone

llamaone Senior member

I'm okay with you being okay with my not agreeing. Still, just trying to understand your logic. :)