• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dazedstate

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

pmestrad

Reaction score
Anyone have the ecru pinpoint oxford? I am trying to decide if it is more a formal or informal shirt? Meaning would it be better for work with a tie or nights out?

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have the ecru pinpoint oxford? I am trying to decide if it is more a formal or informal shirt? Meaning would it be better for work with a tie or nights out?

I don’t have the S&M ecru, but I have several Brooks ecru ocbds. The ideal use, for me, has been with tweed and earth tones- think brown tweed jacket, olive chinos, and a burgundy wool or madder tie. Could add a Barbour and some Le Chameau boots for “fall in the countryside”.

So- not necessarily informal, but definitely not formal

Last edited:

adelorenzo

Reaction score

I do in a custom shirt. Definitely more of a dress shirt fabric IMHO.

I was hoping for a more casual and thicker cloth so I don't like it much. I have a button down collar on mine and it looks wrong.

Decreased

Reaction score
I've gone custom for the first time, and probably should have asked this before submitting my order.

I've put in body measurements for a couple of shirts and specified "slim" for fit. I'm worried slim will be "skinny", which is not what I want. I'm wondering if contemptorary would have been better, or if it is a somewhat irrelevant distinction.

Put it this way, I have started to develop a dad bod and don't want to subject people to more than they bargained for when I take my jacket off. For the first time, slim cuts pull against me in the sizes I've been wearing, but obviously they aren't cut to my waist measurement.

Thoughts?

coachcaseyd

Reaction score
What do you gents suggest as an alternative to lint rollers? I have 2 cats that permanently shed and have noticed some minor damage on one SM suit jacked that I've lint-rolled a few times. I don't want to make it worse, but also rather not walk around covered in cat hair all day. Thanks for any tips!

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you gents suggest as an alternative to lint rollers? I have 2 cats that permanently shed and have noticed some minor damage on one SM suit jacked that I've lint-rolled a few times. I don't want to make it worse, but also rather not walk around covered in cat hair all day. Thanks for any tips!

You can buy clothes brushes on amazon etc for not terribly much.

JRas

Reaction score

As jdp mentioned, a clothes brush is very beneficial for a wardrobe. Kent clothes brushes are great quality regarded well here, I have one for more delicate fabrics like cashmere and one for sturdier ones like wool.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You can buy clothes brushes on amazon etc for not terribly much.
That's my thought as well. I kinda wonder how good it works on cat hair and rougher tweeds - do you use a stiffer brush for that?

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As jdp mentioned, a clothes brush is very beneficial for a wardrobe. Kent clothes brushes are great quality regarded well here, I have one for more delicate fabrics like cashmere and one for sturdier ones like wool.

Coincidentally, I’ve been looking at the Kent one on Amazon- I had a Kent mustache comb that I loved back when I had a handlebar. $48 is expensive, but when you consider it’s a BIFL item...

JFK-esque

Reaction score
what are everyones thoughts on corduroy outerwear? I would love to see some options, maybe in the raglan.

DFWWingnut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hadn't heard of Kent brushes. Those sticky roller things are a PITA and I have a 105lb Labrador Retriever that literally manufactures hair 24/7. I ordered one of those Kent ones and will report back.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads