SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by spiermackay, Mar 14, 2014.

1. doodledoc

doodledoc Senior member

Patch hip pockets, barchetta chest and minimal to no shoulder padding. I would buy the pants too.

2. Burke

Burke Well-Known Member

I agree - patch hip pockets, barchetta chest pocket, soft shoulder

3. Spex

Spex Senior member

+1 to this and anyone else who said the same. I just find that a patch pocket on the chest makes a jacket less business appropriate and bulges in an unflattering way when stuffed with a pocket square. I would want less shoulder padding than in the blue sportcoat I have, as those shoulders look somewhat wide and square whenever I see a picture of myself wearing it. Maybe it's just my own shoulders that cause this...

4. Spex

Spex Senior member

I like all of these. I would even consider a grey stripe, although I typically avoid grey shirts.

5. spiermackay

spiermackay Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Which blue do you have. I think we will probably go with a unpadded shoulder on this.

6. Spex

Spex Senior member

It's the (somewhat) bright blue merino wool jacket with patch pockets that came out probably last fall. It's not as if the shoulders are heavily padded. I've received compliments on it.

The color is actually quite lovely and stands out next to any usual navy jacket, however that's probably one reason I would switch it out for a navy hopsack. I'm looking for something more understated. I bought it in a 38 and had the sleeves lengthened, if anyone cares to know (hint, hint...)

7. Johnsson

Johnsson Senior member

I have a friend who is built so that any padding whatsoever turns him into a linebacker, but IMHO most guys don't have the shoulders to go completely unpadded.

8. doodledoc

doodledoc Senior member

Agreed. Lightly padded would be best to fit the majority of people.

9. fieldofdreams

fieldofdreams Senior member

I lift a little, but my shoulders are by no means big. I prefer unpadded shoulder

10. Chainfire

Chainfire Member

I fear I might of bought 3 shirts (purchased Monday) that don't quite fit my shoulders. I am still a neophyte when it comes to dressing well. And of course I ripped the tags off and washed them [​IMG]

Please do a fit check, gentlemen and let me know If I messed up. The red line is the shoulder seam.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015

11. aglose

aglose Senior member

+1 on unpadded as well since my shoulder cause divots where the arm scythe meets the sleeve if there is any padding.

12. fieldofdreams

fieldofdreams Senior member

They probably look fine. With the red line and poor image quality it's hard to be sure though.

13. Spex

Spex Senior member

The shoulder seam is about as far in towards the neck as I think is acceptable. Hopefully it doesn't shrink any more. How is the sleeve length and neck size? Body wise it looks very slim. Does the front placket pull open when you sit down? I'm slim and like my shirts somewhat slim, but from this photo the shirt looks like it could stand to be a tad roomier, especially if you've only washed it once. However, if it doesn't feel tight, then I would say you're good.

14. Chainfire

Chainfire Member

I believe the shoulder seam is too high...it's a tad tight in the armcythe (sp?). Sleeve length is perfect and neck size (15.5") is a tad tight when buttoned but tolerable. The placket pulls open slightly when I sit. I think I should of went for the 16" (I think I would need to shorten the sleeve length but that's fine). I messed up. I don't know why I untagged and washed all three shirts. I should of spend more time studying the fit and feel of the shirt. $120 down the drain...

15. spiermackay

spiermackay Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

That jacket was produced by a previous manufacturer and closer to the Model 1. The new jackets are made under the same roof as our newer suits and on the Model 2 block. So the entire shoulder is a bit different, in terms of shape and padding. A better fit.