Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by spiermackay, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Senior Member

Because to offer both means to stock twice the number of items. Which means a much larger amount of money held up in stock.

2. doodledoc

doodledoc Senior Member

the oxford cotton is also available for MTM, which is pretty much what I only do.

3. spiermackay

spiermackay Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

^
    What he said. But who knows. If we have the demand built up for it, One day we can make that a reality.

4. Darkside

Darkside Distinguished Member

Pockets are fine on OCBDs. Just look at Gitman.

5. Fosterions

Fosterions Member

Not necessarily. Run the numbers, if 3/4 want pockets, or don't, stock the appropriate ratio. If either sells out too fast adjust the ratio.

6. Unregistered

Unregistered Senior Member

\

That takes time, effort, and risking significant amounts of capital that could be used elsewhere. Why go through that trial and error phase?

No one has said they didn't buy the OCBDs BECAUSE they had pockets. Sure, the preference is there for some, but if a sale is made in spite of the pocket being there, why does it matter to Spier and Mackay at the end of the day?

If you don't like the pocket, remove it. I don't see what the big deal is. As a business, why would they invest in stocking something that only a few people have mentioned? Remember, SF is just a small part of any business' business, no matter what we think of ourselves.

I happen to like the pocket on OCBDs. None of my dress shirts have a pocket.

7. Spex

Spex Senior Member

I think S&M should just stick with classic details such as no pockets on proper dress shirts and pockets on (what are basically more causal) button down collar shirts.

8. spiermackay

Just an update on the full canvas program. We will most likely move forward with Guabello 120's for this program. After looking at cloth from VBC and Reda 110's, which were really not impressive, and felt a bit rough, the Guabello is actually a bit denser as well as being a bit more refined. If our CAD holds, we should be able to roll these out at $750 CAD ($565 USD)

Also, we received the Guabello books for MTM in as well. We can do 120's in Half Canvas for $1195 CAD for a 2 Piece.

9. spiermackay

Edit: Even better news, I just re-calculated the pricing. It's $995 CAD for a 2 piece. I was looking at a different price list they sent me the first time.

10. Billyum

Billyum Member

Rick, just wanted to let you know, I wore my new S&M suit (gray flannel slim fit) to church yesterday and received several compliments. Unfortunately, I can't justify buying more suits at the moment, but I hope to add more S&M suits to my wardrobe eventually. I also just received my most recent order of shirts, so I know have 6 shirts from you. You have quickly become my favorite menswear brand! Thanks for the great product, prices, and service!

11. spiermackay

Amazing to hear! Thank You.

12. zinc2162

zinc2162 Senior Member

Rick, keep doing that re-cal, the price might come down more. [​IMG]

Looking forward to it. Do you think it will be available by the time your Toronto store is ready?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015

13. clarksdb

clarksdb Distinguished Member

Is there an actual need for a pocket though? Like do folks put pocket squares in them?

I have button downs and most have pockets. Including Gitman. So I have come to live with them but I do not particularly like the look.

14. spiermackay

That price is for custom and available now.

If we can move enough volume, we can become a preferred vendor and get better pricing. So it is possible. It the dollar strengthens significantly, we can do better as well.

15. fieldofdreams

fieldofdreams Senior Member

They're not for pocket squares. Tradition is valued on this forum. Traditionally ocbds have a pocket. If you don't like the pocket, by all means, remove it. No one will care.