SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by spiermackay, Mar 14, 2014.

1. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Senior member

What the others have said. Blue, white and grey OBCD are great, but there is a need for some university stripes in red/pink and different shade and scales of blue!

2. Unregistered

Unregistered Senior member

Newer OCBDs (stripes) and more stock of staples such as your white shirts would be awesome! I'm always too slow to grab the 15.5 white shirts you guys have. And your contemporary fit works perfectly for me...

Just got a email that my last order of 6 shirts shipped :)

3. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

Not just limited to S&M but why do so so many shirt makers put a pocket?

4. spiermackay

spiermackay Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

I'm still waiting on the books from Huddersfield and Holland & Sherry.

We are just waiting on the feedback from this lot then we can commit to adding some more colours. But the idea is to keep these as an in stock item as is for whites and some staple blues.

In about a month hopefully.

Tradition. Adds to the semi-casual nature of the shirt. A few brands have some without pockets. I think RL is one off the top of my head. As we pick up steam and gain the feedback we need, its possible we can do a run without pockets.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  5. Chambertin

Chambertin Senior member

Quote:
    I will put it out there. I hate pockets on dress shirts. If the pattern/colours are formal enough that it's a dress shirt, it shouldn't have a front pocket. I realize it is subjective what is a dress shirt. I've ripped pockets off shirts it bugs me so much.

6. spiermackay

None of our proper dress shirts have pockets on them. The oxford is a semi-dress/casual, and many people do enjoy the pocket on them. The pocket wasn't a distraction on the last go around, so we kept it. We'll closely watch this though.

7. fieldofdreams

fieldofdreams Senior member

If it were a dress shirt the pocket and box pleat would be a deal breaker. For an ocbd I expect it. I would be fine withoutthe pockets and pleats; in also fine with them.

8. zinc2162

zinc2162 Senior member

I remember reading some comments from a website of another shirt company (which is also an affiliated vendor on SF). People were asking why their OCBD has no pocket. Personally I prefer an OCBD with a pocket but no pocket for formal dress shirts.

9. Chambertin

Chambertin Senior member

Sorry I wasn't clear, pockets on OCBD and similar casual fabrics/style are perfectly fine with or without pocket.

10. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

I like the idea of the OCBD being a signature piece, I would say once you are able to lock down the standard year round colors you can move into seasonal colors of oxfords as say J Crew does. Running some fall/winter colors in charcoal, brown, burgundy, navy, eggplant etc and run seasonal Spring colors as well in shades of pink, mint, lavender. Of course as long as the feedback and sales work on the stuff in the pipe right now.

I would really love to see saturated fall/winter colors in an oxford fabric from you guys down the road.

+1 for pockets on OCBD and casual shirts but no pocket on dress shirts.

Looks great!

11. spiermackay

This is exactly our long term plan with this particular program. But all boils down to getting the cloth, details and value prop right.

12. doodledoc

doodledoc Senior member

Here's one of my MTM shirts. It's a 160 cotton fabric, 3.5'' Italian spread, mother of pearl buttons, and T&A cuffs. My initials as monograms. Pre-wash. They're in the washing machine now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

@Burzan

I like your thoughts. Add to that stripes and checks. I'd buy some university stripes in blue, burgundy etc in a heartbeat.

14. dappercanadian

dappercanadian Senior member

Saw the new ocbd cloth today. You guys are going to be super impressed, it's incredible.

15. Spex

Spex Senior member

I just looked at the S&M site and it looks like none of the dress shirts have pockets, only the button down collars. The button down collar shirts probably also have a box pleat, as mentioned earlier, which, along with a a pocket, is traditionally a feature of such shirts. The beauty of S&M is that you can order a custom shirt with the details you like! I personally, however, can't understand the purpose of a button down collar "dress shirt". Definitely a casual shirt to be worn without a tie, for me.

I haven't seen a pocket on a proper dress shirts from any of the brand I've bought. This is probably something you see more with cheap mall brands/department stores.