• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@spiermackay This guy, make him your model.

@jdrizzy Even though I have a sportcoat and suit already from Spier & Mackay and know how great the fit is, it's awesome seeing those photos! Thanks for the effort!!! Also, that brown herringbone SC should actually be the jacket for the tobacco herringbone suit, since the SCs have patch pockets, unless the store has some special makeups not listed online. If that's part of the suit I am SO glad I ordered it now. Looks phenomenal.

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a bit deceived by those pictures, truth be told. I like the look and fit of the jackets / sport coats (low button stance, wider lapels, shoulder attachment, etc.). But I'm quite a bit concerned by the fit on the trousers.

Lately, there have been a lot of criticism in the SuitSupply thread about the fit on their trousers - most of the members with big(ger) legs (ex.: cyclists, people who work out, weightlifters or simply people that have a significant weight surplus) can't seem to fit in SuSu's trousers (the one provided with the corresponding jacket; they have recently started selling suit separates but selection and availability is limited), even if let out by a competent tailor.

Judging by those pictures, I am wondering if we are seeing the same problem with Spier & Mackay, which I hoped wouldn't happen, as I consider them serious contenders in my next suits / sport coat purchases. Maybe the fact that these are Slim (instead of Contemporary) might play in the balance, but I've come to like a clean drape on my trousers. I don't want them to get caught in the knee, around the calves or even stuck in the socks because they are too tight. I like a clean, undisrupted line from the waist to the cuff.

I'll postpone judgement until I see pictures of a trouser that has been altered (hemmed, etc.)

And ditto to what @clarksdb said; rise looks a little low on these.

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a bit deceived by those pictures, truth be told. I like the look and fit of the jackets / sport coats (low button stance, wider lapels, shoulder attachment, etc.). But I'm quite a bit concerned by the fit on the trousers.

Lately, there have been a lot of criticism in the SuitSupply thread about the fit on their trousers - most of the members with big(ger) legs (ex.: cyclists, people who work out, weightlifters or simply people that have a significant weight surplus) can't seem to fit in SuSu's trousers (the one provided with the corresponding jacket; they have recently started selling suit separates but selection and availability is limited), even if let out by a competent tailor.

Judging by those pictures, I am wondering if we are seeing the same problem with Spier & Mackay, which I hoped wouldn't happen, as I consider them serious contenders in my next suits / sport coat purchases. Maybe the fact that these are Slim (instead of Contemporary) might play in the balance, but I've come to like a clean drape on my trousers. I don't want them to get caught in the knee, around the calves or even stuck in the socks because they are too tight. I like a clean, undisrupted line from the waist to the cuff.

I'll postpone judgement until I see pictures of a trouser that has been altered (hemmed, etc.)

I have bigger thighs, not huge, but bigger, and the contemporary fit works for me. I'm also not a professional cyclist or bodybuilder. I couldn't do their slim fit suit pants, I purchased them, tried them, and ultimately had to sell them. Also, bear in mind that jdrizzy isn't wearing a belt in all these photos, I think the rise is actually fine, and I'm someone who doesn't like the JCrew Ludlow low-rise trousers and prefers my RL by Corneliani instead. I'll see if I can have a photo taken this week showing the trouser drape,

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Unlike Suitsupply, we allow for trouser substitutions. You can size up down or even change fit of the trousers, very similar to a separates program. Just ask for it in the notes in checkout. As long as we have the stock available, we will make the change.

The Slims are cut with a bit of lower rise. The Contemporary has a more classic rise. And those trousers I believe are a 30 Slim, so on the smaller end of the spectrum to begin with.

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buy a pair of contemporary trousers and try them. You're in Canada and a return would be easy.

toddl

Reaction score

The contemporary fit is completely different. I'm 5'11, 200 and muscular with thighs in the 25-26 inch range. The 36 contemporary fit me as well, if not better, than MTM pants that I own. They are fairly slim through the calf, but I don't have any issues with them getting caught or looking too skinny. I doubt I could get slims on at all. I'd give them a shot.

doodledoc

Reaction score

Just realizing that you live in Canada, I don't understand why you haven't bought a suit yet since you get free shipping and return shipping.

jdrizzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whatsup guys, I actually like high rise pants and these could actually sit higher if I wore a belt. I have a 23" thigh , and the slim work for me ( because I like the aggresive taper), but the contemporary would have given that nice clean undisrupted drape that shawn was talking about, (didnt get a chance to try those on, maybe next time )

Haha losrocket, its the face thats keeping my modelling career in the gutters.

Maybe I will buy those houndstooth when my wardrobe has a bit more staples gs77. Thanks though!

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the kind comments! I'm sure Contemporary would fit me better / best, especially since Rick mentionned the ability to buy separate size for suit trousers.

For those asking why I haven't bought a suit yet, as Rick mentionned, I am a size 48 (But R, not L). They do not stock this size yet. Someday down the road, I'd probably take the risk to either order a suit / sport coat MTO'd, wait for S&M to carry OTR 48 (I understand it's not easily feasible, as it's a tough size to sell, especially for a company in it's early days) or wait until they offer some kind of e-mail MTM similar to Kent Wang's.

Even an established company like SuitSupply carry 48's in limited models and only a few pieces per models (they sell out fast).

I do like that Rick and the Spier & Mackay team work up close and personal with enthusiasts like us - it is promising for the future!

Shad0w4life

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the kind comments! I'm sure Contemporary would fit me better / best, especially since Rick mentionned the ability to buy separate size for suit trousers.

For those asking why I haven't bought a suit yet, as Rick mentionned, I am a size 48 (But R, not L). They do not stock this size yet. Someday down the road, I'd probably take the risk to either order a suit / sport coat MTO'd, wait for S&M to carry OTR 48 (I understand it's not easily feasible, as it's a tough size to sell, especially for a company in it's early days) or wait until they offer some kind of e-mail MTM similar to Kent Wang's.

Even an established company like SuitSupply carry 48's in limited models and only a few pieces per models (they sell out fast).

I do like that Rick and the Spier & Mackay team work up close and personal with enthusiasts like us - it is promising for the future!

Just a heads up, S&M sizing is much smaller than comparable SS, SS I take a 40L in Napoli, S&M for similar jacket I need between a 44-46:
44 is 18.9 shoulder, 46 is 19.3 where a SS 40L is 19.1

S&M 40 is 18.1, 1" difference between the two brands. Gotta love having options though.

Hopefully they have some good BF stuff going on, was going to grab 2 more shirts along with try some ties, trousers and polos for the first purchase since the sales code expires tomorrow but they didn't have the dark blue polo in my size so it forced me to be patient thankfully.

Last edited:

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just a heads up, S&M sizing is much smaller than comparable SS, SS I take a 40L in Napoli, S&M for similar jacket I need between a 44-46:
44 is 18.9 shoulder, 46 is 19.3 where a SS 40L is 19.1

S&M 40 is 18.1, 1" difference between the two brands. Gotta love having options though.

Thanks for the heads up! When I do take the plunge with Spier & Mackay, I'll make sure to get something comparable in term of measurements (a tad above 20" shoulders, 50" chest).

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Just a heads up, S&M sizing is much smaller than comparable SS, SS I take a 40L in Napoli, S&M for similar jacket I need between a 44-46. 44 is 18.9 shoulder, 46 is 19.3 where a SS 40L is 19.1

The comparable fit in Suitsupply would be the Havana or Hudson, which has shoulders in line with ours. The Napoli is a Classic cut with generous proportions, but yes, our jackets are slim and contemporary, more modern cuts.

We have tinkered with a Classic cut, but not quite there yet in terms of demand from our current base of customers.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads