SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by spiermackay, Mar 14, 2014.

1. jermyzy

jermyzy Active Member

Hi Rick, for the custom shirts, do you factor in wash shrinkage for sleeve length in the measurements? My current sleeve length is 32.5", and I've noticed some of my older shirts the sleeve length is shorter, so I'm assuming may have shrunk in the wash? So for my future orders, should I put 33" for the sleeve length?

2. spiermackay

spiermackay Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Not for online orders. Sleeves will generally shrink 1/4" - 1/2" on average. So 33, would be the better way to go for future shirts.

3. gsasso

gsasso Active Member

Along the same lines, how much do you factor in shrinkage in general? Some of my MTM S&M shirts fit perfectly after washing (hang dry) while a couple of them have shrunk enough to be unwearable.

Both of those shirts are of the same fabric, so it could be a one off problem.

4. spiermackay

Depends. For online orders, if we are provided with finished shirt measurements, we don't add anything extra. If we are provided body measurements, we have our own easing guidelines that we follow. But we don't add anything for Sleeve length or Body Length.

If it was the same fabric, the shirts should have resulted in the same results after wash. Do you know what the fabric codes were?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
  5. gsasso

gsasso Active Member

I wasn't clear. I meant the two shirts that shrunk were of the same fabric. Others made of different fabric have not shrunk to nearly the same extent.

Thanks for clearing that up though, that will be helpful next time I order.

6. spiermackay

Ah, makes sense now. Do you happen to know the fabric number?

7. doodledoc

doodledoc Senior member

A request that I make with MTM shirts from Spier & Mackay is that it washes and dries the fabric before the fabric is cut. This should take out some of the shrinkage.

Another thing is this: the shirt sleeve cuff should hit the bottom of your hand (where the thumb connects to the hand). The circumference of sleeve cuff should be smaller than your hand. To test this, you should not be able to slide your hand through a buttoned shirt sleeve cuff. If your sleeve length is perfect, the end of the sleeve cuff should rest at the bottom of your hand. If the sleeve length is too long, the cuff should still rest at the bottom of your hand because the cuff circumference should be smaller than your hand. The extra length of the sleeve will cause extra folds near your elbows (which is fine). I actually prefer to have my shirts 1 inch longer so that when I extend my arms, the sleeves don't ride up.

8. spiermackay

9. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

Ooooh I wish that slub and the soft chambray were button downs, you think they will still look good unbuttoned? I tend to go with button down collars on all my casual shirts.

Also, the 15.5 on these will all be 35" sleeves?

10. zinc2162

zinc2162 Senior member

Is the brushed blue oxford the same fabric as the one that ran earlier this year or is it on the new oxford fabric?

11. Darkside

Darkside Senior member

The Denim blue slub and Navy chambray are BEGGING to be button down collars. Very nice work on the Soft Washed Casual Chambray.

Edit: The brushed oxfords are winners as well. You can tell the thickness of the fabric by how well it holds that great collar roll.

12. spiermackay

All the new 15.5 shirts have the 35" sleeve

Similar to he fabric we ran earlier. It's our new fabric but not quite the final finish. But the base fabric is what we were developed.

We are just trying like an A/B test on be collars. We ran the casual point in the past and it did really well.

The Oxford cloth was designed to be a great transitional weight to go from day to night. As mentioned before its not one of those beefy casual oxfords. These are a bit more refined and woven using Egyptian Cotton that give them strength and softness.

13. CMAc7

CMAc7 Senior member

Are you going to do OTR in the pinpoint oxford cloth you just uploaded for custom (particularly the mauve)? I think you did those in a button collar last year but I missed them and have been kicking myself since.

14. spiermackay

Right now the cloth is only for custom. We may run it OTR again by spring.

15. fieldofdreams

fieldofdreams Senior member

I just ordered the brushed blue ocbd, the white ocbd, and the blue bengal stripe from the last dress shirt release. I'd been hoping the dress shirt would still be in stock when the ocbds dropped so i could mix the order for the bundle price and free shipping. I can't wait to get them. I would have liked the option of a non-brushed light blue ocbds and some university stripes too. I know you guys are small and appreciate you listening to us as much as you do.

I do have one question about all the checks, @spiermackay . Do those things actually sell? I'm sure they do, or you wouldn't always have them. I just have trouble picturing anyone over 25 wearing a lot of those shirts.

Either way, keep up the good work.