• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Debating getting a light grey VBC flannel "blazer suit" combo vs the mid-grey. This flannel blazer-trouser combo something I would definitely plan to wear as a suit from time to time, not merely as separates.

Any thoughts on wearing a light grey suit in fall/winter? Very useful as separates, but as a suit color I tend to think of light grey as warm weather. Am I wrong about that?

Not S&M and not the same fabric, but I have a gray flannel suit I wear quite a bit throughout the fall/winter. You can judge for yourself, but I've never once hesitated to wear it in the fall/winter.

I've included the last shot with a pair of dark brown suede shoes to show what I think to be the perfect color/material pairing with a lighter gray suit.

20170125Flannel.jpg

IMG_9921.jpg

IMG_9935.JPG

IMG_9927.JPG

Identity Crisis

Reaction score
If is popular and selling out fast you won’t likely get a trouser swap. This is a convenience they provide when they can.

Who else does trouser swaps for suits? No one. Because it’s a pain ********** and you get left with oddball sizing in each.

Either buy the whole thing in contemp and tailor it, or risk missing the whole suit.

What I can suggest @spiermackay is to heavily stock additional trouser sizes in the mid 30’s going forward (on staples and fabrics you anticipate to do well on). They seem to be the preferred cut, and I’d make an assumption that most of your trouser swaps are from slim to contemp or a size within the contemp fit.

Totally agree! I wasn’t trying to complain too much, just frustrated a bit. But yea no one else would do that and CS is always top notch. I just don’t have experience on the slim vs contemp jacket fit, so it makes it harder

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can be pulled off, depends on the purpose of the suit. If business, then i'd go darker

100% can be done. Not your go to suit (agree that darker is ideal), but light grey looks fantastic.
That said, I'd get a second pair of trews if you go that route, since you're likely to reach for the pants far more often than the jacket if you split them up.

Not S&M and not the same fabric, but I have a gray flannel suit I wear quite a bit throughout the fall/winter. You can judge for yourself, but I've never once hesitated to wear it in the fall/winter.

I've included the last shot with a pair of dark brown suede shoes to show what I think to be the perfect color/material pairing with a lighter gray suit.

View attachment 1038833

View attachment 1038832

View attachment 1038831

View attachment 1038830

Thanks guys. I’m leaning mid-gray, since my suits are worn in a law office for the most part.
Love the light grey though. Will get the light grey trousers for sure.

Patrick, your suit (very nice) actually looks a bit darker than the VBC light grey -- somewhere between the light and mid grey shades from VBC.

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Totally agree! I wasn’t trying to complain too much, just frustrated a bit. But yea no one else would do that and CS is always top notch. I just don’t have experience on the slim vs contemp jacket fit, so it makes it harder

If you tailor the slim fit jacket smaller (slimmer) then stick with slim.
If you don’t or even let out the slim, moving to contemp is not a big deal or major change and often works better on most people builds who aren’t slim to start with.

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Patrick, your suit (very nice) actually looks a bit darker than the VBC light grey -- somewhere between the light and mid grey shades from VBC.

My tailor and I called it mid-gray, but you are correct, it is somewhere between those two VBC shades. I wouldn’t hesitate to wear the lighter shade in winter, but I agree that the darker shade is more likely to be as easy fit in a law firm.

thatisgross

Reaction score
@spiermackay I took your advice and bought a suit and requested that the belts loops be exchanged for the side adjusters. Though I have still not been charged for the extra 30, just the suit itself. This was 2 weeks ago, should I reach out to team or is it normal for the tailors there to take this long, shouldn't I have been charged already though?

djdanniedee

Reaction score
I dropped off some pants last week to add side tabs and saw the tailor schedule and it was packed full. I think the timeline was close to end of sept

@spiermackay I took your advice and bought a suit and requested that the belts loops be exchanged for the side adjusters. Though I have still not been charged for the extra 30, just the suit itself. This was 2 weeks ago, should I reach out to team or is it normal for the tailors there to take this long, shouldn't I have been charged already though?

Spex

Reaction score
Question on suiting - ordered a slim suit but need cont. trousers and likely won’t be able to swap them. None of the slim pants will really work

Is there a big difference between a 40R slim and contemporary jacket? On paper it doesn’t look like much but I know it’s different

A S&M 38 Contemp jacket is close to a 40 Slim, from my experience.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

You can reach out to [email protected] they should have sent you the invoice and payment request . I can check Saturday for you if you dm me the order#

vriche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Debating getting a light grey VBC flannel "blazer suit" combo vs the mid-grey. This flannel blazer-trouser combo something I would definitely plan to wear as a suit from time to time, not merely as separates.

Any thoughts on wearing a light grey suit in fall/winter? Very useful as separates, but as a suit color I tend to think of light grey as warm weather. Am I wrong about that?
I probably wouldn't wear a regular light Gray suit in the Winter, but light Gray Flannel, I'm all for it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads