• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
-
- I don't think SM is gonna go the working buttonholes route ever.

Maybe I was unclear. I'm not advocating for working buttonholes. Wanted Rick to include the buttons separately without having them already attached/sewn to the sleeves. Let the customer alter the sleeve length and sew the buttons on (and/or they can decide if they want working buttonholes or not)

kammerer66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the SF discount code, if there is one? I about order a SC.

SF members do not get a special discount. If there's a sale, S&M sends out an email to people who registered on their web site.

upload_2018-7-11_9-15-7.png

There's a sportcoat sale going on right now.

https://www.spierandmackay.com/shop/all-sale/sportcoats.html

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Maybe I was unclear. I'm not advocating for working buttonholes. Wanted Rick to include the buttons separately without having them already attached/sewn to the sleeves. Let the customer alter the sleeve length and sew the buttons on (and/or they can decide if they want working buttonholes or not)

I like the idea but wouldn't that increase the cost for most consumers? If you're spending $1500 on a Brunello Cucinelli sport coat I can understand how spending a bit more at the tailor to attach buttons isn't a big deal but if you're on a budget, and assuming some alterations will already be needed, I would guess the added cost would be substantial.

Last edited:

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm with you, but I think this may be one big divide between SF people and regular people. SuitSupply does the same thing, and from what I can tell their strategy is to make the jacket wearable out of the box immediately, even down to the way they ship it in the box. So it arrives at your office, you take it out, throw it on, and walk out the door for your dinner reservations (at least that's the lifestyle they'd be promoting lol). So this is probably one of those areas where Rick is probably trying to match the biggest competitor he's aiming for.

But yeah maybe no faux-buttonholes would be the compromise—cutting buttons off is easy, but removing that stitching seems to be the big hang up.

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But yeah maybe no faux-buttonholes would be the compromise—cutting buttons off is easy, but removing that stitching seems to be the big hang up.

Nailed it right here! As a retailer you need to be able to allow people to buy an item and walk out the store with it immediately.

Sending jackets out with no sleeve buttons is not a finished representation of your garment.

And I get it for people who demand perfection. But remember, you represent maybe 5% of the people buying the suits/jackets.

The other 95% will likely ask why there is no buttons on it, and to have the tailor sew them on right now, and for free. Because.... well Amazon. :confused2:

kammerer66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That would be a great, great opportunity to learn how to sew buttons.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A few comments.

I think its quite telling that you still regular wear your S&M jackets in rotation with higher priced products.

I know from personal experiences when I've experienced a product of much greater quality, I'll always usually tend to wear them over the previous products

To echo what Clag mentioned, I believe that a lot of bespoke customers, provided that they are 5-day / week suit wearers, need something to fill the gaps. Bespoke is unquestionably expensive (particularly vis-a-vis a $398.00 suit). However, at this point, my turnaround from order to receipt is one, one-and-a-half years. Further, I do not want to spend my "bespoke money" on niche suits. Thus, I would not order a bespoke seersucker suit, or cotton suit, or linen suit, or even something in a slightly unusual color. It is fantastic to have a less expensive option for the fun stuff (like tobacco fresco).

However, it is critical to me that a suit fits extremely well, and I am very picky. And to that end, I am really impressed by the now-completed tobacco fresco suit. My tailor was absolutely stunned by the value, especially considering the fabric. The trousers are particularly great.

Finally, I really think it would be preferable to remove the faux stitching. Personally, I think it is tacky, and it really makes adjusting the sleeve difficult. I understand the reasons behind it, but it is frustrating.

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few comments.

To echo what Clag mentioned, I believe that a lot of bespoke customers, provided that they are 5-day / week suit wearers, need something to fill the gaps. Bespoke is unquestionably expensive (particularly vis-a-vis a $398.00 suit). However, at this point, my turnaround from order to receipt is one, one-and-a-half years. Further, I do not want to spend my "bespoke money" on niche suits. Thus, I would not order a bespoke seersucker suit, or cotton suit, or linen suit, or even something in a slightly unusual color. It is fantastic to have a less expensive option for the fun stuff (like tobacco fresco).

However, it is critical to me that a suit fits extremely well, and I am very picky. And to that end, I am really impressed by the now-completed tobacco fresco suit. My tailor was absolutely stunned by the value, especially considering the fabric. The trousers are particularly great.

Finally, I really think it would be preferable to remove the faux stitching. Personally, I think it is tacky, and it really makes adjusting the sleeve difficult. I understand the reasons behind it, but it is frustrating.

Not surprisingly, I agree with every point.

kammerer66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few comments.

Thank you for sharing this perspective. Hypothetically, if you can obtain a very good fit with S&M, what are good reasons to buy bespoke suits? Would it be reasonable to assume that fabric and tailoring details are not a big factor, since S&M can do almost anything in MTM?

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would it be reasonable to assume that fabric and tailoring details are not a big factor, since S&M can do almost anything in MTM?

There are lots of reasons that I'm sure Newcomer can give you, but to be clear, S&M (and MTM programs like theirs) can't do anything even remotely approaching the level of tailoring Newcomer and I get from our bespoke tailor.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads