SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by spiermackay, Mar 14, 2014.

1. aglose

aglose Senior member

[​IMG]
    First outing of my first purchase from Spier and Mackay. Linen bd collar shirt. It's far and away my best fitting shirt, and with OKC breaking 100 this week it's exactly what I needed to keep from dying.

2. jamie411

jamie411 Senior member

Yeah, my preference would be for a standard mitre cuff as well. Rick caled this a scalloped cuff (I believe), and I'm not a huge fan either. It doesn't look as nice under a jacket, and without one, it just looks like the cuff is jacked up!

The collar itself is nice though.

3. scatterbrain

scatterbrain Senior member

Is there any difference between the warehouse sale and what's marked down as part of the summer sale?

Considering this suit. I have trousers from you guys in this fabric and I really like it.

Out of the province until Sunday, though. We'll see if anything's left.

4. scatterbrain

scatterbrain Senior member

I think I felt my wallet flinch in my pocket...

5. zinc2162

zinc2162 Senior member

Rick, I am interested in the dress chambray that are recently posted. How are they compare to the blue garrison chambray that you used to have as RTW shirt?

6. spiermackay

spiermackay Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

They have less of a shine to them. A bit more matte. Handfeel is softer, but not as smooth. The two RY coded fabrics are Indian from Raymond Zambiati and the AD coded is Turkish from Soktas. All of them are really great as transitional shirts. Work well with suit and tie or dressed down with jeans/chinos.

7. spiermackay

Warehouse sale is mostly for products not online. Overstocks, seconds and final clearance items.

8. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Senior member

spierandmackay - I recall you once said larger (or smaller) sizes of available suits could possibly be (or will be) MTO'd by email?

For future references, could you indicate the measurements of a size 48R suit/sport coat of yours?

I'm mainly looking for something with the dimensions of a SuSu 48R: 20"-20,5" shoulder width, 50-51" chest, 46" upper waist, 35,5-36" sleeves and a length of around 32". Trouser waist should be of around 41-42" and not so slim thighs.

Is your 48R along these measurements? (I understand MTO'd items can't be returned/exchanged).

Thanks!

9. spiermackay

Let me dig up that size info again and get back to you.

10. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Senior member

I have another question while we're at it (I love that we can easily get access to you guys via the affiliate thread, BTW - thank you for that), I have another question:

Do you plan on releasing newer Classic Fit shirts? All the Classic Fit shirts available are discounted older models (that aren't as attractive as your newer ones, I might say). I understand your Slim and Contemporary Fit shirts might be better sellers, but by looking at your size chart, I would have to buy a shirt ½" too big in the neck to accommodate my chest and shoulders (in the Contemporary Fit - the Slim Fit doesn't have my size). Though, I might be tempted to try the 17½ in the Contemporary fit to see if going up ½" in the neck will make it too big or if the collar will still look tight enough.

Also - this might sounds weird, but are your prices in USD or CAD?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2015

11. spiermackay

For the 48 Contemporary Fit the size specs are:

Chest: 50.5"
    Waist: 45.5"
    Shoulder: 20"
    Sleeve: 26.75" (from shoulder)
    Length: 31.5" from Bottom of Collar

Trousers are 42, with slightly fuller leg of our Contemporary fit.

We are cutting a new group of Classic for Fall. A lot of basics and CBD types to get started. These should start rolling in around September.

Our prices are in CAD.

Hope this helps,
    Rick

12. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Senior member

Rick;

Thank you for the quick reply - the 48R in Contemporary Fit seems like it would fit me pretty well! I'll keep that in mind when I need a new suit/sport coat!

13. Spex

Spex Senior member

I was kicking myself when I didn't buy the Light Heather Grey trousers when they were on sale an in my size about a 1 year ago. I went to the warehouse sale this weekend and low and behold, there was a pair in my size!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I think these are some of the best fitting trousers I've ever owned. However, I was surprised when I looked at the label and saw that they were labelled "Regular Fit". These fit slimmer than Brooks Brothers Milano fit trousers, which are supposed to be their slimmest (not including Red Fleece). I'm a skinny guy and I think these look slim enough. I'm glad I've discovered this, because it makes me wonder how the Contemporary and Slim Fit would look. Does anyone have any photos of the Slim Fit? Do they manage to maintain any kind of clean drape?

This was my first experience at the "store". I think S&M could be wildly successful, however their current location is not really set up to handle many customers. At one point it felt like there were only 3 customers but somehow felt as if it was super busy, hard to get a change room, people running around, etc. I hope if/when the downtown location opens up it's run super smooth, because I feel it could really make or break things in terms of customer service. Everyone was super nice and helpful, it just somehow felt disorganized. Great products for the price so far. Good luck.

14. spiermackay

Glad you found something you like! Re: the "Regular" Fit, if you notice on the care label, the production date of these was in 2012, part of our very, very first run of OTR Trousers. These have since been replaced by the Contemporary. Surprisingly, the Slim fit is our best selling trouser, outselling the contemporary by nearly 2:1.

Re: The location. Being set up in an industrial area of Mississauga for retail is not optimal. We set up here with the intention of being an "online only" company to have the warehouse space. That is not what has worked out as we grew. We have outgrown this space, and doing the best we can under the circumstances. As you may have noticed, in the back of the unit is full warehouse, so space is limited. The downtown location is being designed as Retail Only, and will have more change rooms and more full time staff on hand. That said, we are growing faster than we projected, so there are always going to be growing pangs as we scale up. It's a learning curve, I think all, young, fast growing companies have to go through.

Thank you for coming out the sale and I thank you for giving us a try. We hope to get a lot of these bumps sorted out ASAP.

BR,
    Rick

15. spiermackay

Just received our development sample from the Mill for our Custom Oxford cloth. 100% Egyptian yarn, so its softer and a bit smoother than traditional oxford, but still used a burly 40s x 2/20' yarn, and opted for a denser than average weave and finished it with an ever so slight surface brushing. We're really, really happy with it. We feel it is the perfect balance of dress/casual. We opted not to go for the ultra heavy, bullet proof kind of oxford being offered by Gitman Vintage or old BoO kind of stuff and really focused to make a proper transitional type of cloth.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015