STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by spiermackay, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Patrick R

Patrick R Distinguished Member

Yes, without question.

It should be no surprise that I can point to elements prefer in my suits/jackets that cost 10x what this SM suit/jacket costs. But now that the Neapolitan jacket has an appropriate length (for me), I won’t heaitate to reach for it.

The only issue I have with SM at the moment is I’m not impressed by how the trousers I have tried fit me OTR. Materials aside, Formosa, Rota, Epaulet, etc. all have better fitting/more refined OTR fits for me in the top block. I have only tried two SM trouser fits so far, so I haven’t explored all I can, but I have complaints about the contemporary fit tagged at my waist size and at -1. I could try the slim fit tagged at my waist size, and maybe I’ll do that next, but based on measurements, I suspect it won’t solve my (admittedly minor) issue.

2. Wilson13

Wilson13 Senior Member

Received the v3 Neapolitan (mid-gray) as a try-on for an MTM suit last week. Attached are the best pictures I could get between my six-year-old son and me. I am wearing a 42L jacket and 34 pants. Overall, I think it's fantastic value and fit, especially the jacket. The shoulders are perfect for me. My suggestions for v4 would be:
    • Raise the armhole more to help with ease of movement and less collar gap when moving (standing still, the jacket sits really well). I know some people have strong opinions on this topic, but I would think a higher armhole would not be constrictive for most people, unless you have fat armpits or some major swole-ders
    • This is not exactly an original thought, but increase the rise of the pants. As is, I probably wouldn't buy an OTR suit because of the current rise (though, OTR jackets are definitely a possibility).
    If anyone has any suggestions on the pants, other than the rise, input on how to achieve a clean drape would be appreciated. I am thinking to increase the quad and seat a little. I will probably increase the lapel by 0.25", but that is obviously personal preference. And of course, standard adjustments like sleeve length, waist suppression, etc. will be accounted for.

7518857088_IMG_0792_2.jpg 7518857088_IMG_0794_2.jpg 7518857088_IMG_0797_2.jpg 7518857088_IMG_0798_2.jpg 7518857088_IMG_0800.JPG 7518857088_IMG_0804_v2.jpg

3. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Distinguished Member

I think this one is still available in my size and now I'm tempted.

This jacket looks great. My girlfriend says she don't like it. I think I'm getting it anyways.

4. aj805

aj805 Senior Member

The pants look ok to me given that they're such a low rise. To get a better balance with the top, I would suggest a fuller leg, but then that would start to look goofy with such a low rise.

I get that low rise is the fashion and that S&M can't please everybody, but I feel that this aspect of the design of their trousers is letting down the spectacular cut of their jackets. Visually, it is a bit like pairing fine wine with french fries. I won't buy RTW suit from them for this singular reason.

I wonder how they make way to accommodate different tastes somewhat by offering various styles of jackets (contemp vs slim, Neopolitan vs regular, etc), but offer less options in pants. You would think pants options might be easier to produce.
    Seriously guys, your jacket designs are top notch, but your pants are the weak point here.

5. duff406

duff406 Senior Member

You go 42L, correct? Which fit do you prefer, contemporary or slim?

6. trailer36

trailer36 Senior Member

You won’t regret it. Can be worn with many trouser color which even enhances an already great product

7. cp3

cp3 Well-Known Member

Agree with armhole and rise for v4.

8. jtorres94

jtorres94 Senior Member

Would your describe your photos as true to color for the suit? You're the only member I've seen post a picture so far.

9. Wilson13

Wilson13 Senior Member

No, it is a little lighter in color than what is showing in the pictures. I'll take a better picture for you later today.

10. jtorres94

jtorres94 Senior Member

Much appreciated!

11. adelorenzo

adelorenzo Active Member

They dont make slim jackets in long sizes. Contemporary is the only choice.:(

12. spiermackay

spiermackay Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

For the guys who are asking about high rise trousers, where do you normally purchase OTR trousers with a rise that is accommodating?

And/Or OTR makers that include high rise trousers with their suits?

13. Burzan

Burzan Distinguished Member

The new vbc brown slub again today along with an SM polo (which are pretty much my daily shirt right now)

142E630C-938D-4598-8661-A66F3EA365F4.jpeg

14. konix

konix Senior Member

Eidos and Rota

15. RickyTakhar

RickyTakhar Senior Member

- Anglo Italian
    - Berg & Berg
    - Last & Lapel
    - The Armoury ( Ambrosi )
    - Eidos

General things in common:
    - Side Adjusters
    - Pleats (Single or double)
    - Fuller thigh/ leg opening
    - Highest point of trouser intersects buttoning point of jacket to allow for a clean aesthetic (no shirt showing due to more open quarters of jackets)

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018