1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen focusing on quality mechanical watches proudly made in China.

SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by spiermackay, Mar 14, 2014.

1. aj805

aj805 Senior Member

I sort of get this, but I would have figured that some significant portion of your market was a bit different than white-sneaker-wearing Epaulet fans, but nevertheless, I wonder if those "general consumers" are really looking for your unpadded, spalla camicia-shouldered jackets with 3.5" lapels or whatever (let alone a suit at all), and yet those apparently sell.
    Do those same buyers really hate high rise trousers, or are they just not available for purchase?

And why would they care what their spouses and girl friends think?--aren't these clothes for MEN?!

2. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Distinguished Member

Looks very nice!

3. jtorres94

jtorres94 Senior Member

View attachment 990289 [/QUOTE]
    Beautiful suit.
    I've been buying so much lately and probably don't have a need for another grey suit but may have to grab this one. Seriously just love the Neopolitan cut.

4. n2pua

n2pua Senior Member

For those who currently own the v3 neapolitan suits .....

i think what isn't being discussed is the balance of the open quarters on the jacket vs wearing the trousers at your natural waist and thus, how much space is still left between buttoning point and waistband.

seems as if the consensus (and this will probably be confirmed with the brown fresco trouser) is that it needs a bit of lengthening no matter what, correct ?

5. Wilson13

Wilson13 Senior Member

Haha, I personally don't care, and I am all about the higher rise trousers, but considering men will compromise their dignity, physical safety, and financial stability for sex, I don't think the rise of their trousers is a non-negotiable.

6. soaped

soaped Senior Member

For someone who is 5'10/11", I feel like 10.5” is on the low end of mid-rise spectrum and I avoid buying trousers with less rise than that these days. I guess I’m lucky that the 32R contemporary is around there.

I tried a slim fit and maybe it’s what young people want these days but I can’t imagine a 9.5” rise matching a 3R2 Neapolitan jacket with wide open quarters. 10 years ago it wasn’t uncommon to see standard trousers with a 12.5” rise, albeit with a very full leg.

I think 11” is a good compromise. Just draw a tape measure from your navel to your nether region and you can get a very general idea of where you want your pants to sit. I get that people have different physiques and torso lengths and may look off balance in a high rise trouser. I know that stores like JPress sell a lower and higher rise version of some trousers to accommodate their patrons.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018

7. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Distinguished Member

Hoping these are perfect. If so, I may plunk down on an MTO for a light grey fresco with brace buttons.

8. Gabru

Gabru Senior Member

@spiermackay is there any update on the Gladson sale you mentioned for MTO. This thread moves pretty fast so sorry if I missed it.

9. adelorenzo

adelorenzo Well-Known Member

I buy clothing from both brands. Especially since Epaulet pants fit me better whereas S&M pants are not a good fit for me. And I'm rocking the middle aged office drone dad style, no streetwear here.

Also Epaulet recently launched a high rise, side tab trouser like people have been asking Spier Mackay to make.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018

10. n2pua

n2pua Senior Member

that waistband height is bordering on ridiculous

11. FlyingHorker

FlyingHorker Senior Member

Not a low rise, I'd call that mid rise.

Not opposed to a higher rise though.

12. konix

konix Senior Member

I had a S&M MTM made with that exact waistband in Harris Tweed. Love it, but I understand I might be in the minority.

13. jtorres94

jtorres94 Senior Member

A rise and waistband like this can be nice with a jacket, but if you ever need to take that jacket off I feel these tend to look a bit silly on most of us. But everyone has their own preference. I usually keep my jacket on anyways.

14. smsuits

smsuits Member

Will the linen pants shrink from machine washing (I will cold wash, hang dry)? If so, which parts are likely to shrink? I just received linen pants in a variety of sizes/fits to find the correct one as these are my first S&M pants.
    The slim fits me best but they are fairly snug in a couple places when I sit (seat and above the knees). If they shrink in any significant way there, they'll be too tight.
    Does linen stretch at all from wear?

15. FlyingHorker

FlyingHorker Senior Member

I did a warm wash and hang dry, and it seemed like very minimal shrinkage around the waist. Possibly a bit around the seat, but I may be imagining it. I also didn't really note the length before/after if that matters.

Linen doesn't really stretch at all in my experience.

Sounds like it's too snug, I would look at the contemporary fit for more thigh/seat room. Honestly can't imagine wearing slim in these linen pants.