• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How are linen trousers to maintain? I don’t dry clean my wool trousers unless I have to. I just hang them and the wrinkles settle out. Excessive Dry cleaning is not good for clothes but do these need to be because they wrinkle so much? I don’t like to iron nice trousers myself and steaming them helps but doesn’t get all wrinkles out.

I machine wash and iron all my linen and cotton linen garments.

Torzano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That doesn’t work. Coming from someone who has tried that. It creates an inverted crease. Think about it.

Just iron them inside out. High temperature, damp garment. Or use a steamer and enjoy the look of linen :)

kammerer66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That doesn’t work. Coming from someone who has tried that. It creates an inverted crease. Think about it.

I was thinking about not creasing. I just ordered some linen canvas chinos, that must have clouded my mind.

How about an old trick... iron the crease through some very thin and slightly damp cotton fabric.

DFWWingnut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about not creasing. I just ordered some linen canvas chinos, that must have clouded my mind.

How about an old trick... iron the crease through some very thin and slightly damp cotton fabric.
I just send them to my dry cleaners. They cold water wash and steam press them.

aj805

Reaction score
To maintain wool, unless you are for some reason getting them very dirty or sweating through your clothes you can do an occasional sponge & press, or spot cleaning to remove a stain, which is easy and fairly "risk-free" in your home. I would only dry clean in a pinch or if the garment was overly dirty--and in those cases ask the cleaner to not press as this is when the often break buttons and such. When pressing, I just use a plain ol' iron on the 'wool' setting; if the wool is dark colored, I have a piece of linen that I put over the wool when pressing, that eliminates creating the shiny spots. Wool jackets containing fusibles you need to take care not to hit with direct heat in those areas.

For linen, I will home launder (cold wash, hang dry only) as I get much more wear and these get dirtier more often, though sponge & press and spot cleaning are preferred. I also am careful about getting the right size as this means the garment will likely shrink, so normally the first thing I do is launder (cold rinse/hang dry twice) and then have them altered. Press similar to wool.

kammerer66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wait, why aren't you guys just ironing them normal? It's not like linen is delicate at all. Just spray it slightly damp and iron as you would any trousers.

When I was just learning to iron, ironing through damp cloth was considered normal for both wool and linen. This was to keep the shine out for a very long time. I still have my high school graduation bespoke suit that looks new to prove it :)

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I was just learning to iron, ironing through damp cloth was considered normal for both wool and linen. This was to keep the shine out for a very long time. I still have my high school graduation bespoke suit that looks new to prove it :)

A pressing cloth is very handy indeed. I use one for my moleskin trousers as well.

marker2037

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wait, why aren't you guys just ironing them normal? It's not like linen is delicate at all. Just spray it slightly damp and iron as you would any trousers.
I agree. Have you guys unsure about linen ever actually tried to iron or even handle it?

There is a reason an iron has linen as it's hottest setting. You can use a cloth over if you want, but I don't think it's too necessary.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mistakenly missed the 10-day return window for my free return - does anyone want to take a brand new tobacco fresco in 40 slim off of my hands for cost? If so, send me a PM. Will likely return in the next few days, and would prefer to spare the expense associated with that, if possible.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics