• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Agree with what a lot of the other posters are saying. Even though I don't know how S&M suiting fits me, given my experience with your shirts and customer service generally, I can pretty much guarantee I'd buy a couple. Particularly if they are softly structured and come in some decent quality staple fabrics.

For the full canvas we are leaning to soft construction. Very minimal shoulder padding, and softer canvas as well. Will only roll out in Navy, Mid Grey and Charcoal to start. This is still in development, so could be 6-8 months away.

aglose

Reaction score

For the full canvas we are leaning to soft construction. Very minimal shoulder padding, and softer canvas as well. Will only roll out in Navy, Mid Grey and Charcoal to start. This is still in development, so could be 6-8 months away.

I'm pretty interested to hear about this as well. I need a staple navy and mid grey suit. If they are soft construction and full canvas I would totally be in. Probably would start with a mid grey to nail down sizing and then pick up the navy.

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is anyone interested in an upgraded, full-canvas version of the Model 2 suits in 130's, for under $600 CAD? [...]

At that price for full canvas it would be hard not to be 'interested', at least in principle.

By the way, the last time I visited your website I noticed that the only size 34 jackets and suits were sale items. Will you continue to carry 34Rs in the future, or have you decided to discontinue that size?

Cheers,

Ac

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Soft for sure. It's both my preference, and what the market wants for the foreseeable future imo.

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We will slowly roll out to 48, but at the moment, we do not have such strong demand. That said, we are only in our 2nd full OTR season. So this can change quickly. SuitSupply has a 14 year jump on us, but we are working hard to catch up! We don't mind the comparison. Considering how successful they have become, we see it as a compliment to even be compared to them. Something to shoot for.

Once a custom suit is made, we do store all measurements and alteration information in your personal file. :)

Good to hear, I'll keep you on the radar, and if I ever come to TO, I'll send you an e-mail!

Last edited:

Spex

Reaction score

If you style it right, it will be a sensation. Look at Ring Jacket - they're huge on SF right now and they offer a nicely styled full canvassed suit in the $550-$1000 range, with basically zero web presence. You really need to focus more on classic color combinations and detailing though - it's a little too #menswear with all the fabrics. You don't sell a single sport coat I'd purchase for instance.

Please point me towards these sub-$1000 Ring Jacket suits. All of the sportcoats I've seen from them have been well over $1000 USD.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Please point me towards these sub-$1000 Ring Jacket suits. All of the sportcoats I've seen from them have been well over $1000 USD.

Look through the ring jacket thread. There are recommendations there.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
At that price for full canvas it would be hard not to be 'interested', at least in principle.

By the way, the last time I visited your website I noticed that the only size 34 jackets and suits were sale items. Will you continue to carry 34Rs in the future, or have you decided to discontinue that size?

Cheers,

Ac

We initially made 34's, but got stuck with a lot of them. As a small, company we simply didn't have the demand we anticipated for that size. For the moment, we are not producing any more 34's OTR. That said, as we grow and develop a demand for them, we will re-introduce them.

aglose

Reaction score
After looking at the ring jacket thread, I am much more interested in the full canvas suit at $600 CAD from you guys.

Burke

Reaction score

Sounds great, I'd be in.

Might I suggest that the Navy be a touch lighter than your current model 2 navy, which I find too dark.
If I remember properly, you old soho navy is about right.

I find navy that is too dark not as appealing.

Also, please consider a bump in cloth quality.

Burke

Reaction score
I should also add that your slim model 2 fit is about perfect. Literally my best fit OTR.
So I hope that you continue using that model.

Keep up the good work.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Sounds great, I'd be in.

Might I suggest that the Navy be a touch lighter than your current model 2 navy, which I find too dark.
If I remember properly, you old soho navy is about right.

I find navy that is too dark not as appealing.

Also, please consider a bump in cloth quality.

These will be in a min. 130's. I've already contacted VBC and Guabello to see if they have any stock to sample with.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

These will be in a min. 130's. I've already contacted VBC and Guabello to see if they have any stock to sample with.

That's a problem that Suit Supply suffers from as well. Why spec a "luxury" super number? These aren't going to be a wear once a month luxury suit. I'd stick with a high quality work horse S110. Trying to sell a high super fabric at a low price is exactly Suit Supply's MO. Nobody, besides Ring (sorry to bring them up again), offers superb build quality combined with hard wearing fabric and a cheap price. It's a natural entry point for you.

Spex

Reaction score
Look through the ring jacket thread. There are recommendations there.

OK, so I saw one member talk about jackets (not suits) in the price range you mentioned, proxied from Japan. Good price, though. I'll be over there myself in a couple of weeks, so I'll see what I can dig up in person.

Anyhoo...with this S&M fully canvassed deal, I would echo those saying to first introduce really solid basics, like navy and grays. I also echo the thought that 110s would likely make a lot more sense to most of us, rather than finer, more fragile fabrics meant for rare use. I would also reserve patch pockets for sportcoats/blazer, as much as I like them. I think we on the forum have to be cognisant of what S&M can sell to their typical customer. If we want them to be around, then they need to sell to those customers as well. Those with SF approved style are likely just a small percentage of their overall sales.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Feedback has been terrific! We'll take into account everything before we actually start any production. The idea is to only roll out in Core/Staple colours like Navy and Grey to get the program going and expand from there. Like I said, this is still 6-8 months off. But we are pretty excited about this.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads