SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by spiermackay, Mar 14, 2014.

1. spiermackay

spiermackay Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

For the full canvas we are leaning to soft construction. Very minimal shoulder padding, and softer canvas as well. Will only roll out in Navy, Mid Grey and Charcoal to start. This is still in development, so could be 6-8 months away.

2. aglose

aglose Senior member

I'm pretty interested to hear about this as well. I need a staple navy and mid grey suit. If they are soft construction and full canvas I would totally be in. Probably would start with a mid grey to nail down sizing and then pick up the navy.

3. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

At that price for full canvas it would be hard not to be 'interested', at least in principle.

By the way, the last time I visited your website I noticed that the only size 34 jackets and suits were sale items. Will you continue to carry 34Rs in the future, or have you decided to discontinue that size?

Cheers,

Ac

4. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

Soft for sure. It's both my preference, and what the market wants for the foreseeable future imo.

5. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Senior member

Good to hear, I'll keep you on the radar, and if I ever come to TO, I'll send you an e-mail!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015

6. Spex

Spex Senior member

Please point me towards these sub-$1000 Ring Jacket suits. All of the sportcoats I've seen from them have been well over $1000 USD.

7. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

Look through the ring jacket thread. There are recommendations there.

8. spiermackay

We initially made 34's, but got stuck with a lot of them. As a small, company we simply didn't have the demand we anticipated for that size. For the moment, we are not producing any more 34's OTR. That said, as we grow and develop a demand for them, we will re-introduce them.

9. aglose

aglose Senior member

After looking at the ring jacket thread, I am much more interested in the full canvas suit at $600 CAD from you guys.

10. Burke

Burke Well-Known Member

Sounds great, I'd be in.

Might I suggest that the Navy be a touch lighter than your current model 2 navy, which I find too dark.
    If I remember properly, you old soho navy is about right.

I find navy that is too dark not as appealing.

Also, please consider a bump in cloth quality.

11. Burke

Burke Well-Known Member

I should also add that your slim model 2 fit is about perfect. Literally my best fit OTR.
    So I hope that you continue using that model.

Keep up the good work.

12. spiermackay

These will be in a min. 130's. I've already contacted VBC and Guabello to see if they have any stock to sample with.

13. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

That's a problem that Suit Supply suffers from as well. Why spec a "luxury" super number? These aren't going to be a wear once a month luxury suit. I'd stick with a high quality work horse S110. Trying to sell a high super fabric at a low price is exactly Suit Supply's MO. Nobody, besides Ring (sorry to bring them up again), offers superb build quality combined with hard wearing fabric and a cheap price. It's a natural entry point for you.

14. Spex

Spex Senior member

OK, so I saw one member talk about jackets (not suits) in the price range you mentioned, proxied from Japan. Good price, though. I'll be over there myself in a couple of weeks, so I'll see what I can dig up in person.

Anyhoo...with this S&M fully canvassed deal, I would echo those saying to first introduce really solid basics, like navy and grays. I also echo the thought that 110s would likely make a lot more sense to most of us, rather than finer, more fragile fabrics meant for rare use. I would also reserve patch pockets for sportcoats/blazer, as much as I like them. I think we on the forum have to be cognisant of what S&M can sell to their typical customer. If we want them to be around, then they need to sell to those customers as well. Those with SF approved style are likely just a small percentage of their overall sales.

15. spiermackay

Feedback has been terrific! We'll take into account everything before we actually start any production. The idea is to only roll out in Core/Staple colours like Navy and Grey to get the program going and expand from there. Like I said, this is still 6-8 months off. But we are pretty excited about this.