SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by spiermackay, Mar 14, 2014.

1. KitBar

KitBar Member

I want to visit your store sometimes soon. I plan to get something within the next year from you guys and I would be more than interested in this

2. yanagi

yanagi Senior member

I would definitely be interested. Even at USD-CAD parity, that price is right.

3. NickInTO

NickInTO Senior member

[​IMG]

4. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

If you style it right, it will be a sensation. Look at Ring Jacket - they're huge on SF right now and they offer a nicely styled full canvassed suit in the $550-$1000 range, with basically zero web presence. You really need to focus more on classic color combinations and detailing though - it's a little too #menswear with all the fabrics. You don't sell a single sport coat I'd purchase for instance.

5. spiermackay

spiermackay Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Any input on style and detail that you would like to see? We have just started sampling and can take this in any direction we want. We are not locked into any stock factory blocks.

6. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

I think you should stick to a core of classic options, available year round. I just looked through your suits (not super carefully so I might of missed something) and the only 100% classic Model 2 I saw was the navy. In my opinion, you should offer navy, charcoal, and mid-grey solid and stripes as a core and add a few nail heads and herringbones on top of that for some variety. Once that's covered, the loud checks, browns, and sharkskins start to make more sense. Then a seasonal offering if flannel of people seem to want it. I'd completely forget about the ticket pockets and peak lapels until the business core is fully covered.

That's just my opinion, based on what I would buy. Suit Supply seems to have the "barely conservative enough for work" market locked, while they totally ignore staples in anything other than their worst fits. I see a big hole in the market there, and Ring Jacket is being pulled into the vacuum. Given the option of having Ring proxied or shipped from a Japanese speaking seller (both with no returns most likely), or a full canvass suit from you... I'd be very likely to go with yours, even if the quality isn't as high, or the price isn't as low - just for easy returns and good English speaking CS.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
  7. spiermackay

Thank you Sir! We're already headed in that direction. Have Charcoal and Mid Grey in production already as well as a nailhead. We've picked up some great herringbone as well in custom. We'll test it there first then most probably run it OTR.

I personally have no seen Ring Jacket in person, but they look beautifully soft structured from the pictures I've seen.

Thanks again for the feedback!

8. doodledoc

doodledoc Senior member

I would be interested. What would the fit be like? Same as your half canvas model 2?

Btw, for your model 2, is the back length from the bottom of the collar down or the entire length of the jacket? Other companies state it's from the bottom of the collar down, but their measurements are actually from the top of the collar to the bottom of the jacket. This would make a huge difference for me because I would be a 42R (and a 32 in the trousers) in your model 2 half canvas suit. However, 30.3 inches is too long if it's from the bottom of the collar down, but great if it's from the top of the collar down.

9. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Senior member

Is 48R a size you plan on making available in the future, or will it be only available through online/email MTO requests (because of the lack of demands for the bigger sizes)?

I'd like to try you out sometimes in the future, but as it happens, my usual size, 48R, is only available upon request (last I heard). This makes it impossible to return the suit and get a refund in the event the suit isn't properly fitting (unlike Suit Supply whose risk-free policy is pretty appealing).

I know you guys must be tired of being compared to Suit Supply (at least by me), but it's with them that I have made most of my business so far, and they're the base to which I compare others makers to!

In the mean time, I think my most viable option would be to book a fitting in person if I ever travel to TO, and get a custom MTM suit.

Which leads me to the following question - once a MTM suit is made, are my measurements stored somewhere in your system? Thus, if I wanted to get another suit, I wouldn't have to travel - instead I could just e-mail you with my fabric choice, styling options and you'd make it following my last measurements?

10. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Senior member

For full canvas I would suggest: well being an SC guy I would suggest offering SC's also. But that's after the suits succeed I would assume.

Go with your model 2 style, 3.5 lapels seem to be ideal for keeping both lapel parties interested. Other details are spot on and in trend.
    IMO Less padded shoulders or completely un padded.
    Go with a base VBC fabric. Brand recognition goes a long way. Even if it is similar to what is being used now.
    Upgrade buttons
    Unlined for summer fabrics in the full canvas range. Not basics

I realize these changes may push it beyond 600$. But if your customer is interested in full canvas to begin with. They likely will want to see small material upgrades.

I also would want patch pockets or pocket options. However I realize I'm a minority here an wouldn't expect you to stock staple suits in patch pocket only.

11. losrockets

losrockets Senior member

I would absolutely be interested! I say keep your model 2 style, and personally I'm a fan of the amount of shoulder padding they currently have. Drapes really nicely and that little bit of shoulder padding is nice for a business suit, IMO. I don't care too much about fabric provenance so long as it's good cloth (and I do think yours could use an upgrade), but I can see the benefit for brand recognition with VBC. If you had a triple patch pocket navy or just slightly lighter full canvas suit, I'd also buy that to break up and wear as a blazer-suit!

12. Ebichuman

Ebichuman Senior member

I am with you 100% ^^

The cut is there right now, construction and finish need a bit of work (my lining has separated in a few places across my S&M jackets) but the biggest issue are the fabrics. No point in going full canvas at $600 with current fabrics, you need to upgrade to decent VBC and similar. Even some of the more basics 100's are superior to what S&M currently offers. Then, I am IN!!!

13. p.lapaine

p.lapaine Member

I agree with this direction. I'm definitely interested in full canvas, and $600 is a more than reasonable price to start at.

I'm looking forward to getting into the store one day soon, but definitely some soft-shoulder, unlined sport coats, especially for next summer is something I'd be interested in. I may be in the minority, but some flashier check fabrics for the summer are also something I'd be interested in.

14. spiermackay

Our measurement is from the bottom of the collar. You may want to hold tight for the Short sizes coming late fall.

We will slowly roll out to 48, but at the moment, we do not have such strong demand. That said, we are only in our 2nd full OTR season. So this can change quickly. SuitSupply has a 14 year jump on us, but we are working hard to catch up! We don't mind the comparison. Considering how successful they have become, we see it as a compliment to even be compared to them. Something to shoot for.

Once a custom suit is made, we do store all measurements and alteration information in your personal file. :)

15. 02///M3

02///M3 Senior member

Agree with what a lot of the other posters are saying. Even though I don't know how S&M suiting fits me, given my experience with your shirts and customer service generally, I can pretty much guarantee I'd buy a couple. Particularly if they are softly structured and come in some decent quality staple fabrics.