SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by spiermackay, Mar 14, 2014.

1. LoKey

LoKey Senior member

The Madras fits well but I'd probably send back the linen. I'm not sure a warm wash will suffice. Just curious, what jacket size do you typically wear? I was thinking of a 16 slim too for the Madras (6'3, 34 waist, 15.75 collar, 35.5 sleeves, 42R jackets).

2. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

Yeah I think you are right about the linen, will probably exchange for another Madras since I know the sizing on them seems to work. Still need to try on the other one I picked up. I think after a wash and press the fit will be nice on them. I little more relaxed than I normally get but it works for the casual fabric. I actually found the collar on the linen to be huge, wouldn't be an issue with a jacket and tie but unbuttoned it just flares a lot. I think the linen would have been better OTR with a button down collar.

I have not worn a jacket in a while but I believe my stats are pretty close to yours, I have a black suit in the closet at home and I think its a 42. My sleeves are around 36 and collar is 15.5, true waist is 34 as well.

3. spiermackay

spiermackay Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

The solid blue and stripe blue linen were designed as dress shirts with a full spread collar to be worn as a dress shirt with a tie, suit/sportcoat. There are two other casual linen shirts in check patterns with the button down collars. The full spreads are made with unfused interlining and will settle down significantly after a couple of wash and press cycles. I have one here, I'll see if I can get a pic up.

BR,
    Rick

4. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

That makes sense, I don't plan on wearing it with a tie and didn't think about it until I tried it on. I was just blinded by wanting a solid blue linen haha.

I will have to return the linen and maybe exchange it for another madras since the size on those seems to work ok for me. Either that or decide on doing a MTM with the Linen, the fabric is really great on it. It has a great feel and you can tell it will break in so nice after some wear and washing.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015

5. AntiHero84

AntiHero84 Senior member

Looks like everyone loves the navy/green madras. I just received my own and it fits great -- perfect balance between wearing it casually (untucked) and business casual (tucked).

The collar role and color look great, and I like how the pattern is matched on the yoke.

A+

6. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

Love the collar on the madras too.

7. jamie411

jamie411 Senior member

Quote:Originally Posted by Burzan [​IMG]

Got my order and tried them on quick at work, I think I can make the Madras fit because they are smaller to begin with but the Linen shirt is just too big. These are a 16 Slim and going down to a 15 1/2 might be perfect but the sleeves will be much too short. Might have to send the Linen back or risk a warm wash and dry to shrink it up and hope for the best.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It looks like each of those shirts is perhaps a tad large - might be worth trying on the 15.5. The reason I say that is because the shoulder seam appears to be well off your actual shoulder, rather than on top of your shoulder. It could be the shape of your shoulders.

8. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

15.5 slim fit actually might be great but the sleeves are 34.5" and I run almost 36 on my MTM shirts. The other option of course is to return all three shirts I got and put MTM versions into production. I was hoping not to go that route as I liked the $40 price point on the OTR madras shirts.

The madras is slightly big but not by a ton, I have sloping shoulders so that throws off the shoulder spot a bit but it could stand to be about .5"-.75" smaller. I am going to give the madras a press tonight and see how I feel about them. Might be worth the extra $29 a shirt for a custom fit. If I do I might send Rick a shirt to copy this time around.

Here is an old pic when I tried out the Contemporary fit in 15 1/2 last year.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

V BB 15 1/2 Extra slim fit

[​IMG]

Vs. Bonobos Slim M

[​IMG]

Bonobos sizing: (seems S&M is between sizing compared to them, which sucks because the Bonobos Slim M is my fave OTR fit)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015

9. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Senior member

Aqua Madras this morning, if anyone wanted to see it IRL

[​IMG]

10. Mojomojo

Mojomojo Member

I actually would like to see a sample booklet as well, since a lot of time the fabric colour on the site vs actual is a bit different. For customers who's done MTM before, it would help pick out fabric easier without having to go into S&M

11. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

I was thinking of grabbing the pink madras when I exchange the linen shirt but now you have me reconsidering haha, looks great!

I found that pattern was also one that Sid Mashburn carries for $145 USD. I know rick mentioned that they carried the blue/green one as well a while back. Not that we need many more reasons showing the value of Spier & Mackay.

http://www.sidmashburn.com/turquoise-red-madras-spread-collar-sport-shirt.html

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015

12. spiermackay

spiermackay Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

There are only a tiny handful of authentic Madras cotton suppliers in South India that still make the cloth on handlooms. I am almost certain the cloth is the same supplier. The patterns and colour registration are identical.

13. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Senior member

No doubt they (SidMash) make nice stuff, and I drool over some of their SC's, but these are $40 shirts from S&M. Its a steal IMO, total no brainer. Quality is good, pattern matching is spot on.

The pink is nice IRL, can't go wrong with either.

14. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

Identical indeed. Looks like the fabric is just flipped.

I have a lot of blue in my wardrobe as I am sure most of us do. I think the pink is a nice change of pace.

15. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Senior member

I second what was suggested earlier in this thread: socks, both in mid-calf and over-the-calf lengths, in solid colors (navy, brown, burgundy, maybe forest green) and maybe subtle patterns (herringbone, small windowpane, etc.) would make me happy!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015