SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by spiermackay, Mar 14, 2014.

1. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Senior member

Nice choice, no doubt they will go fast. I got the same 2 and the Aqua/Red as the third. That blue linen is great might go back for the striped version.

2. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

I'm wearing the blue herringbone flannel shirt. Very comfortable fabric, figured it was a little nippy outside. Got a compliment from a co-worker that it looks like and its a great fit (MTM)

3. colHolm

colHolm Senior member

Hey Rick, are you still able to substitute a different size of pants with the new Model 2 suits? 44 comes with a drop 6, but I need a drop 8 (36 waist) pants...

4. spiermackay

spiermackay Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Not a problem. As long as they are available. Email CS in advance and they can double check before you order.

Rick

5. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

I’m trying to get a sense of the cloth allowances an alterations tailor might have to work with for your suits.

To stay with my current example, given a size 34R slim (I think all of your 34s are slims, yes?), would it be possible for such a tailor to expand the jacket waist by 0.5 inches?

Thanks again for your kind help.

Cheers,

Ac

6. spiermackay

Shouldn't be a problem at all. The waist can be comfortably opened up by 1.5 inches.

7. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

8. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Senior member

9. spiermackay

Here are some pics of developments samples of our belts that are coming in Fall.

Top Grain Calf leather with Nubuck backing. Two widths 3.0 cm dress belt, with polished buckle and 3.5 cm semi-casual belt with matte buckle. 3 sizes: 34, 36 and 38. Projecting a retail on these of $48 CAD.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  10. MrGimpy

MrGimpy Senior member

I've received two orders now from Spier & Mackay and thought I'd share my feedback.

Shirts have been the main draw and I have six of them now. It's been a struggle for me to find shirts that fit, are of decent quality, and are reasonably priced. I've always had to compromise substantially on at least one criterion.

(For the record, my size is 15" neck, 33" sleeve length, 38" chest, 30" waist. My goal was to find decent cotton, construction, and fit for around $100 per shirt.)

The S&M shirts at $48 (or $40 when purchasing multiples) are far better than I had expected. The cotton is of course not what I have in my $250-$300 MTM/semi-bespoke shirts, but is at least on par with Suit Supply and Loding, and better than most Brooks Brothers or what I've seen from the entry-level custom makers (Indochino, Cottonworx, Maxwells).

Shirt construction seems very good, the buttons are nice, the collar stays are removable, and the cuts (I have Contemporary and Slim) are great. I've only needed to get them darted--the fit is great in every other respect.

So far I only have one pair of trousers and they are similarly excellent. The cloth is lovely and the slim cut is clean and not overly aggressive. One small suggestion here: the buttons look a bit plasticky and I'd pay a couple dollars more for proper horn. (I will probably switch them out on the ones I have.)

Rick, I believe you mentioned somewhere in the thread that you were interested in our thoughts on other things we'd like to see. For me, socks are another area where I feel like a can't get decent quality, thin merino, OTC socks without buying Marcoliani at $35-$40. If someone were selling good basic socks that meet those criteria for much less, I'd be in for a bundle.

11. emidyl

emidyl Senior member

awesome Rick,
    Im in for all colours!

12. losrockets

losrockets Senior member

+1 on thin merino OTC socks. A year ago I stocked up at Lands End when they were still 80/20 wool/synthetic and I love them. They were around 8$ for two pairs on sale, regular priced around 12 or 13 maybe. Their new ones have barely any wool . would want to see solids in gray, Navy, burgundy, Eggplant, and olive. Herringbone or Birdseye would be nice also.

13. spiermackay

Thanks for the kind words! Which trouser did you purchase? Some previous trousers we used dyed nut, which did end up looking a bit plastic like. All of this season we've switched over genuine horn.

We've already started the process on socks as well [​IMG]

14. roquesoon

roquesoon Senior member

[​IMG]

15. aglose

aglose Senior member

I would also be in for one of each of these.